Nut Allergy - Riverside,CA

I recently found out my 2-year-old son is allergic to several different types of nuts. Does anyone have any advice on where I could buy him healthy nut-free foods, what to buy and/or have any easy recipe ideas? He eats Cheerios often, but when he gets sick of them I used to pick out the nuts from my Basic 4 cereal. Now that I know for sure he's allergic (based on his blood test) his pediatrician told me not to take a chance. The problem is that he LOVES Basic 4 cereal. Does anyone have any other recommendations for healthy nut-free cereal that would be similar to what I eat and/or other food? His pediatrician is going to give me a prescription for an EpiPen and told me to keep Benadryl Allergy on hand. Thanks!

I forgot to mention that the first time my son was exposed to nuts (peanut butter) he immediately got a rash just on his face. My mother-in-law, who is a nurse was babysitting him and gave him Benadryl. He was fine later that night. Since then (which was almost a year ago) I have avoided giving him nuts, but I've given him food that is manufactured in a facility with nuts and he hasn't had any reactions. His doctor recently had him undergo blood testing to see if he outgrew his allergy, but that's when I found out he's allergic to peanuts, almonds, hazelnuts, pecans, cashews, and walnuts (which shocked me!!). Now I'm told to avoid giving him foods that are manufactured in a facility with nuts. I hope what I've been doing doesn't cause him to be more allergic to nuts when he gets older or worse, to never outgrow the allergy.

No matter how much he loves, if you buy other yummy choices, I guarantee he will be happy. You can make mixes of healthy flakey cereals, raisins, chex mix nd even pretzels. Variety can be great for kids. -www.weelicious.com

Check out Mommywood.com. The founder's daughter is allergic to nearly all foods so she has very helpful information on how to deal with allergies as well as lot's of other helpful info for mommies.

find Classical homeopath in your area. Certified Classical is important, but most important is the practice of homeopathy NOT mixed with any other modality. After classical homeopathic treatment your son will be able to eat basic 4 and many other things you thought off limits.
V

Cereal and granola bars, etc are the hardest to "replace" with nut free similar items. You can look for a similar cereal, read the labels carefully as many will have been processed on the same lines with the ones that contain nuts. Of course a nut or 2 will end up in the non-nut varieties! If your son has a severe nut allergy this can mean an a very serious reaction requiring the use of the epi-pen/hospital visit! (I'm sure the Dr. gave you the prescription for the epi right?) Anyway, both my boys are nut allergic (as well as other things) so I have been where you are!! I shop at Trader Joe's a lot but you can shop anywhere you just have to become an expert label reader. There is a book I got when I found out. It is called The Parent's Guide to Food Allergies by Marianne S. Barber. It has a lot of practical info on how to keep your child safe, label reading, testing, recipes, much more. There is also a cookbook I use but mine is for multiple food allergies (dairy egg nuts peanuts) but you may want to search "Nut free cookbook" Mine does have nut free recipes but they may be more restrictive than you need but I'll give you the name just in case..."What's to Eat? The Milk free, egg free, nut free food allergy cookbook" by Linda Marienhoff Coss. I agree with the person who told you about the legume connection (peas, beans, etc) also be very careful - a lot of people give their young kids Hummus as a snack and that is chickpeas - a legume. My son had a bad reaction to hummus - I had NO idea at the time! YOu will learn a lot about it very quickly as you go but one thing for sure I would say is for you to NOT EAT ANY NUTS/PEANUTS during the rest of your pregnancy and the entire time while nursing as your infant can be exposed to the allergens in utero and thru your milk!! I learned this too late. If the child is not exposed to a potential allergen until MUCH later the chance is greater their body/immune system will be developed enough to not create an allergy with the first exposure. I'm sorry this post is so long! I would love to talk more if you want to contact me, feel free! I'm always happy to help another mom with this issue so really, please do even if you have a question that pops up I've probably been there (My sons are 8 and 5 now and still allergic)Best of luck to you! :-) J

Hi A.! I have a severe nut allergy. To all tree nuts, but not to peanuts (which are not actually nuts -- they are legumes). I have found some cereal, I like the Kashi stuff. Trader Joe's also makes some good cereals. You may have to try a few to see what your son likes!

I just want to mention a couple of possible cross-allergies that I found out about the hard way :(. Cashews & pistachios are also related to mangos, so keep your son away from them.

Someone mentioned hummus -- one of the leading allergies in the world is sesame seeds (which is a major ingredient in hummus). I wonder if the other woman who posted has a child allergic to sesame (not garbanzos, which would be very rare).

Sesame seeds are related to sunflower seeds, and I am also allergic to both. Hopefully, your son will outgrow his allergies! However, there are worse things than nut allergies, it does take some getting used to though. Be sure to get him tested as he gets older. I also keep Benadryl in my house, car, office.

Hi A.~
I am not writing with recipes. I just want to give you a heads up. My daughter is allergic to nuts also. Peanuts, I came to find out as a result of her tests, came back as being deadly. She cannot even sit next to someone who is eating peanut butter- she cannot share that same air.

In the beginning, as allergies were something I never dealt with before, I used to pick out the chocolate morsels from my trail mix and she used to eat just those just fine. One day, we shared trail mix again with her eating only the morsels. Her mouth blew up, lips burning, hives and everything. This experience not only scared me to death, but was what made me take her to get tested- I didn't know she had actually gotten worse! She had the allergy testing done on her back. Her reaction to the peanuts was like one they had never seen. It is supposed to irritate only the surrounding area, but hers spread to other parts of her body. She now has Epi-Pens and Benadryl EVERYWHERE she goes.

As far as separating the cereal like you mentioned, I would STRONGLY advise you remain stopped doing that. If your son likes it that much, keep it absolutely out of sight and out of his reach. You also MUST check the allergy info provided on ALL food labels. I was buying cereal for the kids and thought I'd try Trix or Fruit Loops- whatever it was... and instinct told me to check the label. Sure enough, in a cereal I NEVER would have even thought, it was processed on machines that also processes other types of nuts. AVOID those foods also! You just never know.

My daughter's allergies got worse; that it possible. Be aware and be very protective of what he puts in his mouth. Make sure EVERYONE knows his allergies. Even in school, post a big picture of his face with allergies listed very clearly and if he needs meds in case of an emergency, MAKE SURE the school or wherever- has them.

All my best~

How about buying Total cereal and then adding your own dried fruit, like raisins and craisins and also mixing in some rice krispy cereal.

My advice to you is read, read, read labels.

Best of luck to you and your son.

Linda

Sorry I do not have any adice for what to feed your son but I know it is tough to find foods that are nut free.

If/when he goes to daycare or school you might want to consider how you are going to handle sending him to school and risking his exposure to nuts. One product that might be worth your money is safety tats, they are tatoos for children that can let others know he has an allergy. My daughter was non-verbal until Sept. I had to use these whenever we went out in public. I put it on her arm so that everyone could see it. They have them with just your phone number, you create what you need.
http://www.safetytat.com/

1 / 3