Nursing and Jury Duty?

I'm 27 years old and FINALLY got a jury duty summons! Normally I'd be very excited as I've been waiting for this for a long time... but... I have a nursing 6 month old. So, how is this going to work? He doesn't take a bottle, we've already tried a few times, and since my jury duty is in the next county, I couldn't "hurry" and get home to feed him. So what's a nursing Mom to do??

Thank you for all of the responses!! I will be calling the clerk tomorrow morning and hopefully they'll extend it for me. I don't know when we'll be done nursing, so hopefully they give me at least a year from now, but we'll see. I am excited for jury duty because it would be a great opportunity to see our justice system at work, and to actually have a part in it. I'm not sure why everyone dreads those words, we should all be excited about it! Anyway, my husband said it would be "no big deal, just pump while you're there", but he clearly has never breastfed a baby... getting the milk out is only half of it... there's still a baby that needs to get the milk in his mouth! He's a nursing baby, he needs his mom. You have all given me hope that they'll extend this for me, so I'll be crossing my fingers when I call tomorrow morning!

I'm pretty sure that nursing is an acceptable reason to turn down jury duty--check with your local government.

You can ask for an extention on your "calling"for jury duty. That way you might be finished with your nursing responsiblities and able to leave your child for the jury summons. You will be called again most likely within the next year.
Best of luck.

I was on jury duty when I was breastfeeding and I called them and I tried to get out of serving but you can postpone but I didn't want to use my once in a lifetime postponment since I didn't know how long I'd be breastfeeding. Good thing because I'm still feeding. Ask them for a room and they'll find you something. Bring a cooler pack and your pump and you'll be set.

My sister was called for jury duty - also while she was nursing. She was excused for that reason, but I think she had to go the first day.

Don't worry. You'll have your chance to be on jury duty. My friend just went through the same thing in the last year. She got called when her boy was 6 months old and got excused because of the breastfeeding issue. Exactly 6 months later, she got called again. This time she was able to do it because she had decided by then to begin weaning the baby and so wasn't breastfeeding constantly anymore. She did have to bring her pump though.

As a nursing mother you can be legally excluded from jury duty if you wish.

I am pretty sure that you get out of jury duty if you are nursing your baby, I believe I heard that at one of my La Leche League meetings. I would contact them and find out!

you need to call the number there that is listed for questions and ask them about your situation. most likely they can make it a day long one, instead of having to be available for the whole month (im a day care provider and i just got a summons as well, and since i cant leave my families out cold without day care, including my own son, they let me be available for one day only)

talk to them - they can work something out
why are you so excited about being summoned? im totally not. lol
again, just talk to them.

1 / 3