Nursemaid Elbow

My 22 month old daughter was diagnosised with Nursemaid Elbow. She was seen in the ER and the doctor set her elbow... three times. Since she still refused to move her arm while in the ER, he did take an x-ray. According to the doctor most children begin using their arm again after about 15 - 30 minutes after the adjustment is made. The x-ray showed no fracture and all the bones were aligned properly. Her shoulder and hand were also examined by the doctor and appeared fine. So they sent us home. We were told to give her Motrin every six hours. Yet, almost two days later she still refuses to move her arm. She can bend her arm at the elbow and straighten her arm but that's it. I've called the doctor (twice) but they believe she is just favoring it since it's sore. But I'm worried that maybe the elbow might not be set properly or it popped out of socket again. Has anyone had a child with nursemaid elbow and how long did it take for them to use their arm again?

Thanks everyone. We followed up with our pediatrician - who then referred us to a orthopedic at Children's. We saw the orthopedic and he said that our daughter's elbow was not reduced (set) properly in the ER. He reduced (set) her elbow and in about 10 minutes she was fine. She was using her arm and acting as if nothing happened. He did show us how to reduce it ourselves if it should happen again. He did say that the elbow would have reduced itself even if we didn't bring her in again - but that could have taken another week or so. But we are so glad we didn't wait - we are all happier now that she is back to 'normal'. Thanks again!

Trust me, if it wasn't set properly should would be crying all the time an unable to use it at all. Try watching her play, when she doesn't know you are there. She could be doing it for attention, especially because you are stressed out about it. Good luck.

call pediatrician just in case

Honestly my son had it and 2 x popped it back in and 30 min later was fine.

My youngest son had it when he was a baby too. I would agree that it sounds strange that she still isn't using it. Every time it happened to him, he would be fine the MINUTE it was reset. Not sure what's going on with your child, but it doesn't sound right.

Hello K.,

My 3-year-old daughter has had nursemaid's 3x in last year. Within seconds of it being popped back in place, she can use it. She has never complained that it still hurt afterward. Never! I think something else is going on. I personally would take her to a pediatric orthopedic doctor. Good luck to you!

hi- my daughter had nurse maid's elbow...she too would favor the arm at first. If you can gently bend her elbow to show her that it does not hurt and and that it doesn't just "happen" by using the arm in a regular fashion, she might begin to trust it more. If there is a lot of pain, id get another opinion. I know my daughter was terrified it would keep happening. It did happen a few times but just as the dr told us, it dissapeared when she turned 4.
Unfortunately, once this happens, she is susceptible to this until she is about 4. Just be careful when dancing with her, swinging her around (even when she begs daddy to do it!
Holding that hand when crossing the street ( if she pulls ahead, as you know it it's a chioce between the elbow and a safety issue, you know what you are going to do.

Also, I was taught by my family doctor how to reset the arm- saved many trips to the we, the amount of pain for baby, and of course, money. The first time is scarey, because you know you have to do it and don't want to cause pain- but it is not difficult and we skipped countless trips to the ER

My daughter had Nursemaid's elbow when she was 21 months old. Hers actually reset itself immediately after the injury (so said the ER MD). But even so, it was very tender for her for almost two days after the injury. She would favor that arm and was very hesitant to use it.

But, eventually, I would see her using it more and more. Sometimes I would hand her things just to see which arm she would use. A sort of test without her knowing I was paying attention to her arms.

The way you described it, your daughter has full mobility of her elbow joint but isn't using her shoulder. Does she lock her shoulder up? Might she be having pain there instead? Does she have full use of her fingers? Check her grip, can she hold tightly to things?

call pediatrician just in case

My oldest daughter had this when she was around 3. It all started when she took a tumble off the kitchen chair, and landed on her arm. I picked her up, thinking she was just crying because she fell, and as soon as I saw her arm, I knew it was worse. We ended up at the ER and her in surgery the next morning for a greenstick fracture of both the bones in her forearm. Fast forward a couple months, she took a tumble off of a kid-sized couch, literally 3 inches, and was screaming about her arm. I'm thinking, AGAIN?? REALLY?? Off we rushed to the ER and turns out that during all the xrays, her elbow got popped back into place...but she was diagnosed with nursemaids elbow. She was "fine" right after, just a little crying because she was scared and probably a little sore.

It may be your little one is just sore, but I think it is worth getting checked out again. During our whole ordeal, the ER doc or her orthopaedic doc (I can't remember which one) did mention that sometimes fractures, especially in little kids, don't show up on film right away. It can take a couple days for a break or stress line to show on an xray. I would take her back to the doctor or to the ER and have them take xrays again and see if anything new shows up.

Good luck to you!

My son had it at about the same age, and he was immediately using it again. I would have it checked out.

In my experience with Nursemaids Elbow, there are not really any symptoms after the problem is fixed. I have 2 kids who have gotten nursemaids elbow soooo many times, I can't even count. My husband and I know how to fix it, usually my kids are fine in a few minutes...they are just nervous about feeling pain again.

That's just speaking for my kids, so maybe your daughter is different or maybe it could be something more. GOod luck!

1 / 3