Numbness in Pinky Finger???

I woke up yesterday morning with the very tip of my right pinky finger numb. I thought I had just slept on my hand or something and waited for it to go away. It not only lasted all day, but the numbness is now almost to my middle knuckle. It doesn't hurt at all, but it REALLY annoying! I haven't injured anything, nothing hurts, and I am pretty healthy. Any ideas??? It seems silly to call the Dr over this. It'll probably go away soon, but I am wondering if anyone else has experienced this at all? Thanks! J.

Coming back to add....I now have tingling up into my elbow. I'm sure it's a nerve thing. If I can't do anything about it on my own, I'll get it checked out next week. I'm sure it's not diabetes. I have trouble keeping my blood sugar up. I don't usually go any higher than 70, and my Dr keeps tabs on it to make sure I don't drop too low. Thanks for the responses!!!

Well, the numbness lasted for a couple of weeks, off and on. I didn' see a Dr., because it would go away at times. I soon started getting pins and needles up and down both of my arms and now my feet. When I woke up yesterday, the left half of my head was numb. Not my face, just from my front hairline to the back hairline. I called the Dr and he wants me in on Monday. So, I have an appt for this Monday. This morning, the numbness is creeping more over to the right side also. We'll see! I'm sure it's just a pinched nerve that needs to be relieved! Thanks for all of your thoughts!

I started out with numbness in my pinky when I woke up in the mornings sometimes also. I brushed it off thinking that I slept on my hands. After a while the numbness (which lasted 2 days sometimes) started moving to my ring and middle fingers. I went to my Doctor and she diagnosed me with Carpel Tunnel (after an MRI of my neck, she thought I had a pinched nerve). She had me wear a brace to sleep and whenever I typed or did a repetative motion. It really helped and I rarely get the numbness anymore.
I hope this helps, good luck!

I had this exact same thing when I was pregnant with my son. My doctor diagnosed me with Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. It is probably not anything serious, but worth getting it checked out for peace of mind! :)

Sometimes otherwise unexplained numbness in the extremities represents the constriction of muscles over nerves at a spot closer to your trunk (like at the neck for example). If hypertonicity in those muscles continues, the numbness may spread and increase in severity. There are options to relieve this hypertonicity including icing, stretching, yoga, massage therapy. I would probably start by icing the neck first just because it's the easiest (and least expensive) option. If you go with stretching or yoga, it might be a good idea (especially if you don't already do these things) to ask for help from a trainer or instructor so you don't cause any damage. If you opt for the massage therapy, please be sure to go to a therapist who specializes in more than "relaxation" massage. Swedish massage has very definite therapeutic value, but for your situation, you might be better served to see someone who knows more about referred pain patterns. If it was me, I would start with someone who works in conjuction with a chiropractor or at a wellness center and I would be sure to describe my situation over the phone before booking an appt.

best of luck!

Do you have a headache, weird vision or nausea with the pinky finger thing? I ask because I get migraine headaches that usually start as numbness in my fingers. Usually it'll start on the outside of my left hand and work it's way up my hand, arm and even into my mouth. Then the visual stuff starts and THEN, if I don't take my meds in time, the heachache will kick in. I'm not a doctor but those are other symptoms to keep an eye out for. I remember when I was first diagnosed being so surprised when the doctor was able to ask me about symptons I had at the same time that I never thought were related to eachother. Good luck.

I hope this helps, good luck!

Could be a pinched nerve in your neck. Or when muscles swell in the front of your neck, over your carotid artery, they can pinch down on the nerve to your pinky. Weird, but true. If you try to stretch that by putting your head back and to the opposite side, it may help.

I think you should see your doctor so that you can be sure it's not something more serious. Better safe than sorry, IMO.

I had problems with my ulnar nerve, which runs along the outside of the elbow and it caused numbness in my pinkie finger. My doctor referred me to an occupational therapist who helped a lot. I have to sleep with a wrist brace on whenever the nerve inflammation flares up--the brace can be a little annoying but I've gotten used to it and it helps so much that I think it's worth a bit of annoyance.

I would definitely see your doctor if the numbness hasn't gone away. Good luck!

Amelia sounds like she knows what she's talking about, and yes I agree with her. I had the same thing happen a couple years ago and every once in a while it comes back. I went to a chiropractor the first time to get it fixed - it was stemming from my back. Now I usually just try to do some stretching or yoga (which is cheaper) to work it out. =)

Let me know if you need a chiropractor referral. I know a good one in St. Charles.

1 / 3