Not Insured and Warried About Child's Permanent Teeth!

I just noticed tonight that my oldest son who is now 6, is having his first permanent tooth!!! What a shock for me, and what a feelig of seeing how much my baby has grown!!! Anyway, his baby tooth has not fallen yet and is moving very little. His new one is coming right behing the baby one, not touching it. I have no insurance currently for my son to take him to the dentist (it will start on the 12th of this month). Till then I am very curious to know if we have to remove his baby tooth in order for us to help the new one to grow in the right place, versus behind it... Any ideas from your experience? Will this delay on checking him at the dentist, about two weeks away from now, will have any permenanet effect on the position of the new tooth? Thanks! -K.

Thanks everyone for your great answers! They really give me a peace of mind, to know that everything is normal. I need to make soon an appt. with a Dentist in Mill Creek. If you know a good one please let me know-
Thanks again!!

My 12 year old sons teeth did that all the time. His dentist never worried about it. The last adult tooth was like that and we were waiting for it to fall out so he could have his braces put on. At his cleaning the dentist popped the tooth out really quick. Good luck

OH...the joys of baby teeth. My daughter is six. Her teacher says she has "gaposis". Many of her teeth have fallen out and new ones growing back in. I would say leave it alone unless it is bothering the child. Pretty soon the kids will be seeing how many will come out before their friends and he'll be pusing on his teeth to get them to come out. Be grateful that this may be the only tooth problem. My little one's bite is an underbite on one side and an overbite on the other. We will be setting up a dental savings plan soon.(Literally) I was told there was nothing that can be done until she is a couple of years older and most of her baby teeth are gone. Give it a little time, after all you said there was no way you could do anything yet and besides I've seen kids with bigger issues that parents can't address until their kids are older or have to wait while they finish growing. Good luck.

Don't worry about it. My son's did the same thing. His tooth broke through before the other one fell out and I was wondering if we would need to go to the dentist and have it pulled. But in a few weeks, the baby tooth loosend with the help of the new one pushng through and all is well. This also just happend with one of his front teeth. I would say, as soon as your insurance goes into effect to make an appointment just to have everything checked out for peace of mind.

K.,
I just called our dentist two weeks ago for the same exact reason. They told me that the permanent teeth don't come up under the primary teeth like we once thought. The permanent teeth come up from behind. Once the primary tooth is removed, the permanent tooth will come up all the way and move forward into place. They told us to wiggle, wiggle, wiggle and get the primary teeth out.
It has now been two weeks and since our son is not an active wiggler, we are still awaiting the primary teeth to come out. I have actually considered wiggling while he is sleeping, but I'm afraid he will wake up.

If you are concerned I would call a dentist they should consult for free. Then go to your local DSHS and get you guys on dental. I believe you will have to get medical too but thats not a big thing and it is nothing to be ashamed of. That is what they are there for to help out families. My husband works at a law firm and he gets 100% coverage and to add me and my two boys was going to be almost 1200 a month through his plans. Now he is not a lawyer he works in the HR dept. SO we are not plush for cash and when i found out i was prego again and had no ins it was the only thing i could do was go apply for state. So i would look into it for you guys!!

K.,

Prior to becoming a SAHM, I worked in dentistry for 12 years. The wait will not be an issue for his tooth; teeth shift all the time. Once his primary tooth is removed, the perm. one will better align. However, it doesn't mean it will pop right into place. Let's face it, most kids need braces!

Good luck & kudos on being such an involved mom!! A lot of moms wouldn't even worry....you're just that much more special.

My sister and her daughter also had a "double row" of front teeth. For some reason, the front teeth just came in in the wrong spots. The baby teeth came out with no trouble, though. If I remember correctly my sister's dentist told my mother that the roots dissolve on baby teeth - and nobody said anything about my niece's baby teeth and I vividly remember her losing her teeth so I assume everything was fine for her too.

My sister had to have a tremendous amount of orthodontistry work done to get her teeth into the correct position. It took years, but her teeth are great now. My niece is going through this right now.

The same thing happened to my son. I was worried and took him in right away, but the dentist wasn't worried at all. He said to give it some time and to have him try and wiggle the baby tooth every day. If it isn't out by my son's appointment (not until the end of this month) then they might have to pull it. The dentist said this happens often, and that the tongue is a strong enough muscle that it will automatically push the permanent tooth into place when the baby teeth are gone. I would think waiting until your insurance kicks in wouldn't be any problem. Good luck!

1 / 3