Not Focusing in School

My daughter has had notes sent home at least once a week since she started kindergarten. She is the youngest in her class (5). Most notes are how she is a brilliant child, but cannot focus on the task at hand. She is a VERY independent and active child. Alot of this is her teacher, who has suggested my daughter be check for ADD. (We did, they said she was fine...just your normal 5 year old active child). She can read, and do math fine. My question is does anyone have any ideas for helping a child learn to focus?! Thanks!

Thank you all for the advice! Her teacher is in her 60's, and this is her very first year of teaching! She is bored at school. She is already reading while the rest of her class is still practicing writing letters. Thank you all for your advice!

She's only in kindergarten and you are receiving these messages. She is most likely bored and probably going to become more disruptive and off task as she gets older. There are simply too many students in her class for her teacher to take the time to create work more challenging work for her. I would suggest looking into
Great Lakes Academy, a private school in Plano that focuses on challenging students with ADD or bright students that exceed the expectations of the state for their grade level. The atmosphere is comfortable and conducive to the needs of the students not the state. You can visit GLA's website at www.greatlakesacademy.com.

Sounds like she's bored. You might want to put her in a Montessori system so she can learn reading and math at her own pace and keep her little mind busy. It's hard to focus on learning something she already knows. By the way, throughout her school years, you might consider Montessori because it allows her to move in with the older kids for some classes, but still remain with children her own age for social development. Skipping grades in grade school is NOT the way to go. It creates horrible problems in the teen years with social skills.

D. Kimbriel
Grandma to 2 beautiful boys

This sounds like my son who is also in kindergarten this year. He is great at everything academic, but just can't sit still and his teacher also suggested that he be tested for add/adhd. Instead, this is what we have done with pretty good results:

Fish oil supplements for kids - the Omega 3s and 6s are supposed to improve concentration. Per my boy, "I don't FEEL my body as much" and a lot less wiggling. He seems capable of actually making the CHOICE to sit still whereas before, it was like he couldn't control it.

Removed all Red 40 from his diet. Per studies, Red Dye # 40 leads to lack of concentration and lower IQ scores. When ever my son has it, it get's completely out of control.

Zyrtec - this time of year especially, his air borne allergies make him spacey and less likely to pay attention to anything going on in class. Zyrtec has really helped his behavior.

Essential oils - small dabs on the bottom of his feet and the insides of his wrist before going to school. Lavender to help him stay calm, lemon and rosemary to improve concentration and focus.

Positive reinforcement - in the class, children who go all month without getting in trouble get a small prize, but this seems to be too long for our child. We provide a special activity (like getting a snow cone with dad) each weekend that he stays out of trouble all week and this seems to be helping to provide motivation for making good choices.

Good luck with everything!

Honestly, I feel that there are very few kindergarten teachers who are not imaginative and who hasn't been educated about different learning styles. If your daughter is bored, she still needs to know how to focus on the task at hand. And teachers who are any good can see the difference between "bored" and "cannot focus." They are not the same thing. One lands you on medication and the other in the gifted/talend program.

When she is at home, how does she spend her time? Is she flitting around or watching tv/computer games? Can she sit through a story, a board game, a card game? Does she wander off leaving her artwork unfinished? Does she make her bed, do simple chores around the house through to completion?

I wholeheartedly believe that except in very severe cases, focusing and concentration can be taught. So here is what I would do:
1. Turn off the tv. Completely.
2. Turn off the computer games. Completely.
3. Play simple board games every evening...stuff like candy land, war with cards, chutes and ladders...and quitting is not allowed. Make it very fun and include siblings and other parents.
4. Start having story time. Get books with chapters and start reading to your child. Simple stuff like Magic Treehouse...then at the beginning of every chapter have her tell you what has happened so far...then have her tell you what she *thinks* is going to happen next... then read the book. While you are reading, she has to snuggle up to you and sit still. When she can accomplish that, then have her color/draw while you read. After you finish the chapter, review the chapter with her. (What happened? What did you think/feel about...?)
5. Start her on some chores. Do not tell her what to do... do it with her. Start making her bed with her. Every morning. Have a song you sing while making the bed. She will get better and better and then she has to do it herself after a week or two of you (cheerfully and having fun) doing it together. Then start another chore...like setting the table. If she doesn't do this, draw out on manila paper all the elements (life size) of each setting and lay them in the places. Then she has to put each thing on top of the drawing. She will have to concentrate and after a while won't need the drawing. Chores (that are made FUN!) are a very important part of learning to concentrate.

DO THESE THINGS DAILY OR VERY CONSISTENTLY. Taking away the tv/computer games is relieving her of the things that stimulate the brain in a way that lends support to lack of concentration.(Let her have 30 minutes on weekend days, but keep it to a tiny amount.) Slow her life down with the reading/talking/board & card games. Teach her to focus on the task at hand by doing it with her. Put in a garden together and care for it together, with her focusing on what she is doing the entire time. The key here is that you are training, so you must be a part of it. You can't do it for her; you can't send her off to do it herself. You need to do it WITH her.

It is so easy to blame the teacher. But the facts are this: whether your child is super bright or delayed, she has to learn to focus and do the task at hand.

VickiS

If your child is very young for K and you have taught her the K curriculum at home before she even started school then she probably is a bit bored and is too immature to know how to handle it. I would look into some ways to teach your daughter about how to focus on her work and give her plenty of opportunites to be active, so the classroom setting will be easier for her to handle. Maybe you could enroll her in a gym class where she has to listen and focus on the teacher, but gets to be active to get some of her energy out. Don't worry too much. All kids have some issues growing up and we just have to understand that and teach them how to deal with it. I'm sure the classroom teacher will work with you if you ask for her help and input and come to her with some of your own ideas. Good luck!

D. Kimbriel
Grandma to 2 beautiful boys

It is probably more of a maturity thing than anything else. If it were me I would have her repeat Kindergarten to make the rest of her school years easier on her. I know that isn't what you want to do, but it beats giving her meds. Good luck!

She sounds a lot like my daughter. She is also a younger kindergartener (July birthday). She is very smart but some of her work lacks focus due to her wanting to move on to the next activity. In my daughter's class they have "free centers" the last bit of the day. Her teacher has started keeping her out of free centers to finish/redo any work that she was not focused on during class. This has really helped. I have also asked that the work be sent home if it does not get done in class. Once she realized that outdoor/cartoon time would be taken up by redoing schoolwork when she chose not to finish it at school, she has done a lot better.

Sometimes bright children get bored very easily. My son, also the youngest Kindergartner in his class, rates high in everything on his report card except for talking in class and following rules. He doesn't focus well when he's bored. Also because of his emotional maturity wasn't keeping pace with his intellect, my son often had strong emotional outbursts. This would often give people the wrong impression about his capabilities.

What has worked for us is the herbs from Native Remedies. Specifically, Focus + Brightspark. Go to http://www.nativeremedies.com/?ysmchn=GGL&ysmcpn=Goog...

I also agree with complimenting the child as acting like a big kid, and being an example for others. My son thrived on that sort of praise.

I also had some talks with my son's teacher about increasing his reading level at school to challenge him more. If you have a gifted program at school, consider having your child tested. If she qualifies it can provide some additional stimulation she might need to help stay focused in school.

Let me guess... summer B-day?
My son was also the youngest in is K class (school started 2 weeks after he turned 5). All through K we never had a problem (although his K was only half a day). 1st grade, again no real behavioral problems although he was a bit behind in reading. 2nd grade, was as you stated for your K; notes home AT LEAST 1X/wk. We struggled through 2nd b/c we felt it was more of a personality conflict w/ his teacher (She also requested he be tested for ADD/ADHD). 3rd grade, no real prolems a few notes every now and then. Because we were moving during the summer of his 3rd & 4th grade year to TX from AZ, we decided the 'behavior issues' he had during the 2nd grade and the fact that he was the youngest in the class (immaturity), we held him back then. Looking back now, I realize this for the mistake it was. Behavior issues were still there only now we had to deal with the 'It's YOUR fault' behavior. It had progressivly gotten worse. We now homeschool so it isn't a real issue bc he's working at his knowledge level not a grade level (ranging between 9th & 12th grade depending on the subject).

While I'm not telling you to pull your child out of public school and homechool her, you MIGHT want to look into that option. It sounds to me that your child is BORED!

I would have a conference with her teacher and see if there is something your daughter can be doing if she finishes her work before everyone else. Brainteasers, coloring pages, reading silently, helping the teacher staple pages, put info into the Cubbies, etc. Something that can both occupy her mind and body (if necessary).

If it is more of an issue of getting her to complete her work; set up a reward system. My youngest son had this issue when he was in PS. I spoke w/ his teachers, and we decided he would get a small pompom for each worksheet he completed in a timely manner. He would put this into a small spice jar in he desk (I provided both the pompoms to the teachers and the spice jar to my son). His teacher could easily place a pompom on his desk w/o disrupting the other students. He would then put the pompom in the jar. When the jar was full, he would bring it home and show me. Then we'd go out for ice cream as a reward. I'd then empty the pompoms into a ziploc bag that he'd give back to his teachers and we'd start over.
KristeR
Mansfield, TX

1 / 3