Nose Bleeds in 15M Old

Looking for advice. My 15m old keeps getting random nose bleeds. Some are from a bump on the nose others are from nothing. It happens at daycare or at home. Both environments are not necessarily dry with the air. The nose bleeds can often go on for a couple of minutes. Not full down stream of blood but continued bleeding and spotty. Just wondering if this is a common occurance or something i should start worrying about and talking to my Pedi.

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

No . it's definately not a normal occurance . Have a doctor check your baby out . It could only be a sinus thing but it could be more . I remember my brother had a form of hemophelia when we were children and he would get terrible nosebleeds for no real reason , it was scary .

My son has then all the time. Certain seasons are worse, but he will wake up in the morning with his pillow all stained and dried blood all over his face....sounds horrible, but the worse thing is having to throw out a lot of pillows LOL!! As long as the nosebleeds stop with some pressure, it's probably not a big deal. The capillaries in the nose are so very close to the surface, so they can dry out easily, and if they get bumped, they break. Some kids just have more of them. I like the advice you've received regarding the foods with Vitamin K and yogurt. Other than that, he may just grow out of them. It certainly wouldn't hurt to bring it up at your son's next peds appointment - they can always do blood tests to make sure everything is ok. Most of the clotting disorders I'm aware of, there's a lot of blood and a lot of bleeding, that is very hard to get to stop. Sometimes the child had to go in to have the vessels cauterized. If you are able to stop the smaller anount of blood within a couple minutes, that's good. Good luck!!

Hi, J.:

She could have capillaries that break in her nostril.
They might have to be cauterized.
Take her to her ped and let him look into
her nostrils or go to an EENT.
Good luck. D.

I would check with your Pedi, to be safe. Also, does your 15 month old eat yogurt at all? There is something in yogurt that helps nosebleeds (I am not sure how or why). My brother gets nosebleeds very easily, always has, until recently, because he now eats a yogurt a day. (He could give you the rundown on how it works.) He has had maybe a few nosebleeds in the last two years. So you might want to add a yogurt to your baby's breakfast!

God bless!
M. D

I had them as a child and now help parents with them constantly. It's usually a clotting issue and 2 things worth - either vitamin K or alfalfa. You can try getting greens onto your 15 month old OR you can get KAL brand vitamin K and maybe crush it up and give ONE every 2-4 weeks. His/her body can repair from doing this at this age. I've only had one nosebleed after I turned 20 and it gushed in the sink for about 20 minutes. I started up on the vitamin K again for a week and then dropped it off to once a month for the next year. In the past 8 years, I haven't had a nosebleed, but I take it regularly (not everyday) during my pregnancies, so I don't bleed out during delivery.

Also, if you are giving fish oil (DHA, Oemga 3, etc), excessive vitamin A intake can cause nosebleeds.

my son has this all the time. i live in florida and his started about last july. and it gushes. he had so many one weekend, all weekend, that i lost count of how many that he has. when i talked to the dr. he said that it could be hereditart, and also that the capillaries in the nose dry out and pop. you can use ocean spray or also like an A&D ointment with a Q-tip in the nose to help moisten the capillaries.

1 / 3