Normal Poops for a 4 Month Old....

Hello, My son is 4 months old and typically had 2-3 dirty diapers a day (typically all in a row, like I interrupted him--lucky me). He is mainly breastfed, but has the occasional formula bottle. Friday, he didn't have any dirty diapers, had one Saturday and none today (Sunday). Is this within normal? Any tips/suggestions? He seems fine, not super uncomfortable, just the normal fussy stuff.

My exclusively breast fed son would go days, like 5, without a bowel movement and the pediatrician said that was fine, there is little waste. Convenient, eh? :)

My son typically pooped every 10 - 15 days - seriously. He was breastfed & bottle fed, solids started at 6 mths, & I stopped breastfeeding around 14 mths. Even upon the introduction of solids he still didn't poop that often.

Unless the child shows signs of discomfort, constipation, extreme fussiness, etc., then I would ask an advice nurse for further instruction. My son is a very long, lean little guy, so he "used" every ounce of protein that went into his body; so he had need to expel it for days at a time. Made cloth diapering very easy!! :)

Bottom line: don't fret unless there are other symptoms.

Very normal. Breastmilk is so perfect that at this age they are using it all, and there's no waste. I was told the baby can go up to a week without pooping!

Hi, I was told by my doctor that breastfeed babies can go up to 10 days without a dirty diaper. I have 2 babies that I breastfeed and it does happen to them. However once they are on solids they can be more frequent.

Mother of 4 (15,10,2,1)The babies are still breastfeeding.

My daughter has a constipation problem and my doctor said that it isn't the frequency of the poop but the consistency of it (rather it's hard, soft, etc). If he's not fussy and is tummy isn't hard I wouldn't worry too much.

Just like you, babies sometimes poop a lot and sometimes not at all, at least for a few days. It is completely normal. As he is getting older he is changing and part of that is his digestive and poop schedule. If you are concerned call your doctor, but he/she will tell you not to worry. They will tell you when to though, like if his poop looks like coffee grounds etc.

Breastfed babies tend to absorb most of the nutrients of mama's milk and therefore poop less often. However, iron-fortified formula can constipate a breastfed baby. Just keep an eye on him, watch for signs of discomfort, but probably he is just absorbing the majority of his milk. Good job, mama!

My children were the same way...would not poop for several days and then have one really poopy day every 3-4 days...just about the time I would start to really worry. Not a problem as long as he is not struggling to get the poop out.

my third ds (who was a breastfed baby) often went a week or more without pooping. The doctor said that he had a baby who went 24 days and was fien but he likes to see them after two weeks or if they are extremely fussy. Just be ready for very BIG poops when he goes. Our ds once went 8 days and finally pooped while I was at storytime at the library with my older two on a hot day. He was wearing a little shirt and a diaper cover so when he majorly blew out his diaper, I was covered in baby poo from about my breasts to my toes. One of the other moms took my baby and my diaper bag and told me she would still be there with my kiddos when I got back form taking a shower as there was no way I was clean this one up in a public rest room.

1 / 3