Nontoxic Finger Paint for Infant

Does anyone know of a good nontoxic finger paint that would be safe for an infant to use (or have suggestions for how I might make my own)? I was thinking it would be cute to have my 8-month-old make her own wrapping paper for the gifts "she's" giving her grandparents (actually saw this idea on mamasource) - along the lines of stripping her down to her diaper, sitting her on the floor with a large sheet of white paper and some finger paint, and letting her go to town. However, she's at the age where everything goes directly into the mouth, so I only want to do this if I can be sure that it's 100% safe for her. Otherwise, we'll just shelve the idea until she's older or do something else instead. (Ideas for other Christmas activities/traditions to start with infants would be appreciated as well - I've already seen several excellent suggestions for activities and traditions for older children.)

I second Crayola. My oldest used it and ate it ONCE. He didn't like the taste and didn't try that again. It is non-toxic and the washable ones wash out of everything easily thankfully as he decorated himself as much as he did the paper. I would just suggest having a drink handy in case she does try to taste it, so she can rinse her mouth quickly as it doesn't taste very good at all.

I have always used pudding with little ones that way when they put it in their mouth and the usually do it does not hurt them. I usually use chocolate but if you want colors you could use vanilla and add food coloring.

Crayola advertises that everything they make is "non-toxic," and my boys 2 and 4, have been using crayola finger paints since they were each 9 months old. The best paper to use is the non-shiny side of freezer paper; the color will be much more vibrant and the paper will be sturdy enough to withstand getting soaked by paint. that's a great idea, have fun :)

sugar-free kool-aid and water. Not sure how vibrant the colors will be, but you could test it out. Use just a small bit of water per kool-aid packet and see what happens. Good thing, if she puts her fingers in her mouth, no worries, just a little bit of kool-aid. It's also a good scratch and sniff, so I'm told. I've never tried it and scratched it.

good luck

When my daughter was that age I made "paint" with flour and water and put food coloring in it. It was so much fun! And definately non-toxic. Merry Christmas!

Maybe be a little more 'involved' and 'help' her make handprints and footprints on the paper (then if she's 'into' it, let her do a little messing besides. I'd recommend the fingerpaint. I had a recipe to make it years ago. Maybe I can find it online .. .
Here are some links:
http://www.pioneerthinking.com/fingerpaints.html
http://www.recipezaar.com/Finger-Paint-333807
http://www.makeplaydough.com/finger_paints-11341.php
http://parenting.ivillage.com/tp/tpactivities/0,,88mf-p,0...

(And I only looked for ones that use gylcerine [Typed 'finger paint glycerine' in my 'search' box]. I'm sure there are some that don't use it).

Have fun!

I think all Crayola paints are non toxic....BUT, here's an easier ideas and one that you really don't have to worry about....use chocolate pudding!!! It dries if you don't let it sit in think clumps, and can be throw away...I know the ideas is to be able to keep it, but if you can't find that right paint at least it's an idea.

Or what about you painting her hands and feet and just putting htem on it or make a reindeer out of them. That way you can keep her fingers out of her mouth but washing her hand as soon as you were done. Let me know how it goes.

instant vanilla pudding with a few drops of food coloring in it.

You can use vanilla pudding with a little food coloring in it. Worked for me. Enjoy!

What a great idea! I taught preschool for a long time, and we painted alot with pudding, but I do believe that will eventually mold or go bad and have to be thrown away. I have heard of some parents spraying over it with a sealant (used for crafts) to kind of preserve it, but don't know how many years that lasted. Same with the KoolAid/water - give it a try if you'd like, can't hurt her!

Of course the Crayola and other non-toxics would be fine if she got it into her mouth - it teaches some little ones to NEVER do that again! :D

What I did with my own when they were little was to paint their hands/feet and make Reindeer, or wreaths, or Santa, or C-mas Trees. Sometimes we did it on paper and framed them for GPs or sometimes made sweatshirts or Tshirts. I still have a blue sweatshirt with white handprint snowflakes that all 3 of mine did when they were 4, 2 & 1 year olds - I adore it still! Also paint or write the year on it, just in case you have more kids and forget like me! The only thing with doing the shirts is that is HAS to be the permanent acrylic craft paints (not Tempera) mixed with fabric medium to make sure it doesn't wash out. I've had my sweatshirt for 8 years now and it still has every bit of paint on it! So if you ever choose this route, make sure she is naked or wearing paint clothes - as well as yourself, and that you will not be ruining anything near you! Cover table/floor with plastic!

One other idea - we have also made ornaments from craft foam sheets - there are lots of websites that show how to trace little hands/feet and make them - I have many Santas on my tree that my kids made in preschool and we love to hold their hands up to them every year to compare! My 12 yo son's hand is ALOT bigger than when he was 5!

Her grandparents (and you) will treasure these things when she is older!

I like the ideas the other moms have, but I might shelf the finger paint part & do body part prints with non toxic paints, like butt prints & belly button prints & hand & foot prints. Interesting ones could even be cropped & framed.

When I was a very little person a friend of my moms painted me purple & rolled me across some paper. Naked, of course. : ) Funny. I am not scarred from the experience. ;)

P

Chocolate pudding is non-toxic and can be used for finger painting. Good luck and have lots of fun!

C.,
I'm a zookeeper at the Nashville Zoo as well as a mom of a 9-month old daughter. We do a lot of animal paintings with our animals to enrich them. Of course our animals also eat a lot of the paint and so we have to use non toxic paints to prevent any illness. The paint we use is called Tempra and can be found in a wide arrangement of colors and at any art supply store (Hobby Lobby, Micheals, etc.) I've also used this paint with my daughter and not had any problems. This paint also easily comes off of surfaces in case of any overflow off the paper and is machine washable! Have fun!