Nontoxic Finger Paint for Infant

Does anyone know of a good nontoxic finger paint that would be safe for an infant to use (or have suggestions for how I might make my own)? I was thinking it would be cute to have my 8-month-old make her own wrapping paper for the gifts "she's" giving her grandparents (actually saw this idea on mamasource) - along the lines of stripping her down to her diaper, sitting her on the floor with a large sheet of white paper and some finger paint, and letting her go to town. However, she's at the age where everything goes directly into the mouth, so I only want to do this if I can be sure that it's 100% safe for her. Otherwise, we'll just shelve the idea until she's older or do something else instead. (Ideas for other Christmas activities/traditions to start with infants would be appreciated as well - I've already seen several excellent suggestions for activities and traditions for older children.)

I second Crayola. My oldest used it and ate it ONCE. He didn't like the taste and didn't try that again. It is non-toxic and the washable ones wash out of everything easily thankfully as he decorated himself as much as he did the paper. I would just suggest having a drink handy in case she does try to taste it, so she can rinse her mouth quickly as it doesn't taste very good at all.

I have always used pudding with little ones that way when they put it in their mouth and the usually do it does not hurt them. I usually use chocolate but if you want colors you could use vanilla and add food coloring.

Crayola advertises that everything they make is "non-toxic," and my boys 2 and 4, have been using crayola finger paints since they were each 9 months old. The best paper to use is the non-shiny side of freezer paper; the color will be much more vibrant and the paper will be sturdy enough to withstand getting soaked by paint. that's a great idea, have fun :)

sugar-free kool-aid and water. Not sure how vibrant the colors will be, but you could test it out. Use just a small bit of water per kool-aid packet and see what happens. Good thing, if she puts her fingers in her mouth, no worries, just a little bit of kool-aid. It's also a good scratch and sniff, so I'm told. I've never tried it and scratched it.

good luck

When my daughter was that age I made "paint" with flour and water and put food coloring in it. It was so much fun! And definately non-toxic. Merry Christmas!

Maybe be a little more 'involved' and 'help' her make handprints and footprints on the paper (then if she's 'into' it, let her do a little messing besides. I'd recommend the fingerpaint. I had a recipe to make it years ago. Maybe I can find it online .. .
Here are some links:
http://www.pioneerthinking.com/fingerpaints.html
http://www.recipezaar.com/Finger-Paint-333807
http://www.makeplaydough.com/finger_paints-11341.php
http://parenting.ivillage.com/tp/tpactivities/0,,88mf-p,0...

(And I only looked for ones that use gylcerine [Typed 'finger paint glycerine' in my 'search' box]. I'm sure there are some that don't use it).

Have fun!

I think all Crayola paints are non toxic....BUT, here's an easier ideas and one that you really don't have to worry about....use chocolate pudding!!! It dries if you don't let it sit in think clumps, and can be throw away...I know the ideas is to be able to keep it, but if you can't find that right paint at least it's an idea.

Or what about you painting her hands and feet and just putting htem on it or make a reindeer out of them. That way you can keep her fingers out of her mouth but washing her hand as soon as you were done. Let me know how it goes.

instant vanilla pudding with a few drops of food coloring in it.

1 / 3