Non-itchy Eczema?

My son has been having a rash lately that has all the symptoms of eczema except that it doesn't seem to itch. He never scratches it. It's been mostly on his face, but it seems to have spread to other areas, like under his diaper (I've been doing infant potty training, so he doesn't pee and poo much in his diaper, and if he does, I usually change it (cloth diapers) within 5 minutes--exception would be at night when we use a disposable; therefore, I seriously doubt it's a diaper rash), on the back of his neck, and in his hair (he also has a rather bad case of cradle cap). Usually it will be red bumps that sometimes have white heads (making me think it was baby acne), that would change to brown scales and then flake off. Breastmilk seemed to help keep him moisturized, but now it's gotten worse around his eyes. The skin seems to be weeping, too, and that will dry and be kind of crusty. Fits all the eczema symptoms I read on the Internet just now, except that it doesn't seem to bother him. He's a happy baby. Seven weeks old and loves to smile and wiggle. He'll even grin and coo to get my attention!

My brother had eczema as a baby, and he would scratch till he bled. My mom discovered he had a wheat allergy, so Monday morning I decided to go off of wheat for 2-3 weeks to see if it would make a difference. It's too soon to tell yet, but I was just wondering if anyone else had an experience similar to this.

Just so you know, I already have an appointment with the pediatrician tomorrow morning. It doesn't seem serious enough to go to the emergency room at this point.

Well, it got worse. It spread over most of his body--poor thing! I tried almost everything I could, and his doctor (ND) did too. Now we're taking him to an acupuncturist for NAET. I hope it does something!!!

My son is 6 and half weeks old and started developing this non-itchy rash all over - on his face, thighs, back of his shoulders and under his diaper. It's not quite as bad as you described above - skin is not weeping and no crusty/ flaky bumps. He just has these tiny slightly reddish bumps all over and his baby soft skin is not so soft any more :(
I took him to the pediatrician yesterday and she said it's a mild case of eczema and asked me to start using Eucerin cream. Also advised Dreft laundry detergent. A friend of mine had also recommended "California Baby" products instead of johnson's and aveeno so I plan to start using baby wash, etc by California Baby. Hope this helps and hope his skin gets better soon.

my son was diagnosed with Eczema about a month ago (he is 1 years old). From what I can tell it doesn't itch him but he is definitely fussier when it is flared up. We went to the doctor and they gave us a steroid creme to get it under control. Now that it is in control we put cedaphil lotion all over his body once a day. In addition in his diaper area we put neosporin on the spots that are red.

Just so you know they mentioned removing wheat from his diet because we have another child with Celiacs however this treatment seemed to do the trick.

I hope this helps.

This message is to everyone that has a child with this condition. I would like to share my experience, from a different perspective. My daughter had the non-itchy eczema that were just little patches on belly and legs. At age two, we took her to a Naturopath in Portland, that was trained in Classical Homeopathy. After a series of questions, Dr. S was able to determin what natural remedy was correct for our daughter. That is when I learned that Eczema can be a precurser for Asthma. It was also advised that we cut out sugar, wheat and dairy. We noticed over the course of the next days and weeks, is that not only did the Eczema go away, we say her low blood sugar improve along with her behavior. It seems that these natural remedies that are given once in the doctors office, work to help bring the child back into balance. If we had gone the route of some creams, it may have just surpressed the symptoms, and the inbalance may have presented itself in a different way or worse down the road. Our daughter is now 8, and has been well while others in her class have been getting flus, strep throat, etc. There has been no sign of any respertory weekness. She just has a patch of Eczema show up recently, and that was a signal to us that we needed to get her another remedy and relook at her diet. She also has her first cold in a long time.
Maybe there is someone out there that can explain this better than I can. Just wanted to suggest taking a look at a more natural route. A book that I have found helpful, that uses both conventional and natural medicines, is
SMART MEDICINE FOR A HEALTHIER CHILD by Janet Zand.

My son had what sounds like the same thing - the red spots with the white in the middle. Our doctor told us it would just go away. But with the "weeping" I think it is definitely good to go in. I have a friend and her son got that on his face and they did link it back to allergies. As far as the rash on the back of the neck and the face that could also be heat rash - which our son also got. Our doctor told me to make sure I unwrapped him to nurse him because he was probably overheating. Well I did and it got much better. hope you get some answers! Good luck!

I honestly think that it is possible for infants not to be affected by itching. My third child has eczema, and had it as a newbborn. IT never seemed to bother her and she never scratched at it. Now that she is 8 it drives her crazy. Her Dr should have some suggestions for you! I used to rub my daughter down with Vaseline after her baths when she was a baby,and it helped (it seals in the moisture in her skin). I know Aveno has a lotion for baby eczema, I never used it but a friend did. She liked it bec it was safe to put on her newborn's face.

It's good that you're having him checked out with the doctor then you'll know what's going on. I thought you might want to know about a soy-based soap that many people say has helped their skin problems. If you would like more information visit:
http://www.BellaMiaCandle.scent-team.com

You are welcome to contact me if you'd like to try some or would like more information.

Our son started getting eczema at about 5 months and he never really scratched at it either. His never really progressed past the red bump/scaly patch stage. He did have a pretty nasty yeast infection at the same time(originally thrush that didn't go away with the drops and spread to the diaper area) that made him more miserable than the eczema. I had cut out gluten, dairy and caffeine while breastfeeding to try to get it to go away but none of that seemed to help.

Although most dermatologists will tell you differently, based on our results and my research, I strongly think that this condition is due to an allergy. We finally had him tested at about 7 months and he came back highly reactive to eggs (the one thing I didn't cut out!). Ever since we cut that out, started him on a probiotic and saw an accupuncturist a few times, he has not had any problems. I also started taking an omega-3 supplement while breastfeeding to help get the oils into his body. Now at 19 months he even eats eggs without issue. We use CeraVe lotion at least once a day all over to help keep him moisturized and he still takes the probiotics at least once a day. Hope this helps - I am a big believer in probiotics and natural solutions to fix these kinds of issues!

My dd had excema on her face and back of her neck when she was a baby - she also had cradle cap. At age 3, it will pop up behind her knees, back of her neck and arms from time to time, but it's very mild.

For whatever reason, she never tried to scratch it when she was a baby. It wasn't until she was about 20 months or so that she ever showed any discomfort.

I don't know if that is what your son has, but it surprised me, too, that she never seemed to be bothered by the excema as a baby.

Best of luck! M.

I hope this helps.

1 / 3