No Period for Seven Months Since Getting off the Pill and Wants to Get Pregnant

I have been off the pill since late July of '07 and here it is now late February '08. I havn't had a period and I'm not pregnant. I went to my OBGYN and was told that it can take up to a year for my body to regulate again. My concern is that I'm going through somethng more serious as I haven't even been spotting. I have one co-worker who swears that the same thing happened to her for a year and still got pregnant with her second daughter. I am not overly concerned I'm just wanting to know if there are others who have had similar expierences and a little about their stories.

So far I am getting a lot of good advice, I am so thankful to everyone as I do feel that this infromation is very helpful. I don't feel like I'm all alone. Thanks to everyone this is such a great resource. UPDATE: As of Today, ironically...I have gotten a period. :-D

Happened to me when I first went off the pill. I didn't have a period for about eight months. I went through all kinds of infertility testing. Nothing was wrong, so the docs thought I was going through some sort of perimenopause even though I was only 30. I finally had a period, and I was about to start taking Clomid to get things going on the pregnancy side-but I didn't need it, because that was the last peiod I had until my son was born! :)

You are experiencing what I was once diagnosed with...Amenorrhea (absence of the period). I was on birth control at 18 or 19 got off and that's when the bleeding stopped. The doctor put me back on the pill to rid my body of the build up. Before I could even go back to the doctor for the follow up, I was with child. Was taking my b/c properly, but still conceived and had a healthy baby who is now 17.

We would all like to believe that the pill is magic, but such is not the case. Depending on dose and length of time that you were taking it, it could be a year or more before you are back to normal. It is not uncommon to have fertility issues after years on the pill. a couple of tbsp. of flaxseed oil can help with balancing out your hormones and help you get pregnant. My advice would be to give it sometime. You might look into Natural Family Planning after your next child or Natural Child Spacing. There are no side effects and if you choose to have a third child there is no waiting for your body to return to normal

I had a similar problem. My periods were always very regular, then I was on the pill for about 5 1/2 years. When I stopped taking it, I didn't get a period for 4 months (no spotting or anything). After that I was still very irregular,sometimes even skipping months. My husband and I were wanting to get pregnant and it was frustrating because I couldn't really keep track of my cycle to help our chances. The 13th month after I stopped taking it, I got pregnant with my daughter! So, hopefully you will have the same luck. I'd say give it a few more months and then go talk to your doctor again.

This also happened to me. I wasn't ovulating due to increased prolactin levels. My doctor gave me some meds that suppressed the prolactin and I became pregnant. Your doctor should probably take blood and test it for several other things too. Hope this helps.

M.,

Hi, just wanted to let you know I've got three kids all about 2yrs apart in age and I too went off the pill when I wanted to get pregnant. I went off the pill in February 1988 and finally got pregnant in 1989 and gave birth to my son in April of 1990. After the initial bleeding time after the birth of my son, I did not have another period or bleeding time until my daughter was born in January 1992. Again repeat of the normal bleeding after birth then nothing until after my son was born in April of 1994. So yes you can still get pregnant without having a period. I got three living proofs to show for it. My period never became regular until after a year and half after my third was born. Now here 14yrs later I sometimes find myself wishing it had never started up again LOL. Just know that when your doctor told you it can take up to a year for your period to begin after stopping the pill that they're right. I never really new when I got pregnant for sure with any of my kids and my doctor always got to play the guessing game on the due dates, but I have three very healthy happy teens. Good luck and know that when God feels it is time for you to have a baby He'll make sure it happens. I just stopped thinking about getting pregnant and worrying that I wasn't going to get pregnant when it happened. We'd even started the infertility testing about a month before I found out I was pregnant with my first. After that I just left it all into God's knowing hands.

I never personally experienced what you are going through. But my best friend has. She finally wanted to get pregnant and went off the pill. It took 9 months to get pregnant. She had a period here and there, but never a regular one. Sometimes it would be 2 or 3 months late. I wouldn't be overly concerned. If you don't have a period in a year after stopping the pill, I would see if the doctor could check to see if you are ovulating. If you aren't, they have pills to fix that. Good luck!

Don't despair. After going off the pill, it took me 8 months to get my first period, then I only got about 4 periods in the span of two years. Nothing was wrong (though a lab tech suggested it might be polycystic ovaries - she needlessly scared me half to death). Oddly enough, I got pregant during this irregular period time, had a miscarriage, then my periods were regular (and I got pregnant right away). After nursing my son for a year, it also took me a while to get my period - 4 months after I stopped. I opted to stay off the pill until I am done having children. Good luck!

I experienced the same thing. It took me a year to get my period and then another 6 months to get pregnant (with my first child). However, it was as if my first turned a switch and I had my second child 16 months after the first. So be careful! But I was frustrated too. My doctor wasn't worried and gave me the same advice. 'It will take a year.' I was worried about infertility since I had not been pregnant before. No one tells you but lots of other women experienced the same thing. Hang in there.

Many years ago, I stopped taking the pill and the same thing happened to me. No period for over one year!!! I had no children at the time. I was not pregnant, and my GYN told me there was nothing wrong with me. I was always tired, and very moody, also had some weight gain. The Dr. tried telling me I was depressed. I kept on her case, and she finally ran some additional blood work. I had elevated Prolactin levels (the hormon that makes you produce milk). I had a pituitary MRI, and they discovered a very small benign tumor. It's called a pituitary microadenoma, and it's not harmful. But, it does make your body go a little crazy. If you aren't happy with your doctor's diagnosis, you should keep pushing, or go elsewhere. You know your own body. Good luck!!

1 / 3