No Period for over 2 Years!

My son will be 2 next month, and I still have not had a period. I have had some very random spotting, but nothing close to even a light period. Yes, I am breastfeeding, but nothing like I was. I thought that by now it would have returned. I am on the shot for birth control, and have been since just after he was born. Any ideas or suggestions? My doctor is not alarmed, said that I might not get a period until 6 months after I totally quit breastfeeding. It just seems strange to me. Just to clarify, I was on the shot for several years before deciding to get pregnant. It never prevented me from having a period before.

I had my last regular period in Oct '04 and got preg with my first child in Dec '04. I have had another child since then and breastfed them both for 9 months each. I have had 10 periods total in 6 years and my doctors do not know why. I am healthy, my hormone levels are fine and I have not been on any birth control since '03. I just do not have to buy tampons very often. Other than some difficulty getting pregnant, (because I do not know when I ovulate) I have had no physical problems with not menstruating every month or even every other month.

So I would say to just enjoy it unless you start to have other problems.

Be thankful! I was the only one I knew that didn't get a period while breastfeeding. I breastfeed for 14.5 months, then got my period about 2 weeks after that...I got pregnant immediately and am expecting in May. I am pretty excited that in almost 3 years, I have only had 1 period! :) I just hope that my luck holds out while breastfeeding the next. It's one less thing to worry about, and sooo much cheaper!

You've answered your own question. You are on the shot and you are breastfeeding. Both of those things will stop your period.

I never got my period back "on my own" after childbirth (after the first two, it came back when I went on regular birth control, the third I got Mirena IUD and still don't have a period - and he's 6). If you are really concerned, ask your doctor for a full exam and maybe ultrasound to rule out any issues, and if he doesn't take you seriously, look for a 2nd opinion. (But be sure to find out how much insurance will cover and be prepared for anything beyond that!)

Your not having a period is almost certainly due to the Depo shot. Breastfeeding can delay return of menses, but only if you are not altering your normal, natural cycle with anything hormonal, such as Depo or the Pill.

It is most likely related to breastfeeding - even if it is not happening frequently. I was only nursing 1-2 times a day towards the end and I got my period about 3-4 days after my son nursed for the very last time. I wouldn't worry.

I would not worry. My period didn't return until I had weaned completely at 19 mo. and I also had only random spotting before that.

Have your thyroid checked. This happened to me and it was my thyroid. It might just be postpartum hypothyroid, but have a blood test, if that hasn't already been ruled out.

I don't usually get a period until my nursling is about 2. It's not unusual. Look at it as nature's way of spacing out children.

I didnt breast feed when I had my daughter but I am on the shot and I haven't had a period in 3 years besides very little spotting. Like the other moms said it probably just the combination of the both.

I didn't have a cycle until 6 months AFTER I weaned my daughter (at 15 months and by the last month or so it was only at bed time) but my husband had a vacectomy after she was born, so I knew it was just my hormones/body that were effecting me. I went without a period for almost 3 years and didn't even think about it since I didn't have any expectation that I SHOULD have a cycle while I was nursing.
If your doctor isn't worried about it, I would say be thankful to save on the paper products! ;o)

If you are still breastfeeding then you most likely will not get a period. In fact, probably the only reason you are spotting is from the shot. For my first two kids it took 6 months to a year to get my periods to straighten out after I quit nursing. I just figure that it took 9 months of pregnancy and 12 months of nursing to get my body all screwed up, it just needs ample time to get it back on track. Now for my third baby, I started getting my period while I was still nursing and she was about 4 months. I was robbed! Needless to say, those babies mess up our bodies and you really have nothing to worry about. Once you quit nursing completely, you will get a regular period anywhere from one month to a year after. It is crazy!

Enjoy!

I agree with Dori. You have to stop and remember that your body and hormones are different after you have a baby!

Updated

It is very common to not have a period while on the Depo Provera shot. 80% of women won't have periods. Don't worry! It may take up to 12 months for your periods to return after you get your last shot, too.

I nursed my first for about 18 months, and at the end it was about once a day. I didn't get my first cycle until about two months or so after he totally weened. Its pretty normal, esp if your body is sensitive to hormones!

With my 3rd child, my period did not return until a couple days after he stopped breastfeeding at 16 months old. With my 4th child my period returned around the time she turned 14 months old, but she is still breastfeeding. Because I got pregnant with my 4th about 10 days after my 3rd child stopped breastfeeding, I only had 1 actual period between Nov '05 and Dec '09 (other than just after the birth of each child). Every woman's body reacts differently, so don't worry about it.

Make it a GREAT day!

~S.

I have a side question for you. Have you had your son in to the dentist yet? does he have any issues with his teeth? Like cavities from breast feeding so long? Just curious. let me know if you can- ____@____.com thanks

Totally normal. Count your lucky stars... unless, of course, you're hoping to get pregnant! :O)

p.s. to the question down below: extended breastfeeding does not cause cavities.

I was on the shot for 4 years after my youngest was born and never had a period the entire time. My doctor said that was perfectly normal. Kinda nice but man did I gain weight!