Nipple Discharge - Not Pg, Not Breastfeeding

I was doing my breast self exam and I noticed some yellow, oily discharge from my nipple. Can this be normal? I have not breastfed in almost two years.

I went to the GYN and there is a small lump in my breast that I've been monitoring (due to the lump I've been messing with my boobs nipples a lot). He thinks that the discharge is just from manipulating them so much to evaluate the lump I've been worried about. I am getting a diagnostic mammogram and breast ultrasound next week. The GYN does not think that the discharge is a symptom of breast cancer in my case since I can get it to come out of both breasts. He thinks its from messing with them (the lump is near hte nipple). HE is doing bloodwork to rule out the pituitary issue that someone listed below. THanks. I'll keep you posted!

it's been 5 yrs for me and I still have some every now and then.

You should definitely get this checked out by your doctor. It could be a sign of breast cancer (most likely ductal carcinoma), which I know from experience (I was diagnosed with Ductal Carcinoma In Situ almost 3 years ago) and had nipple discharge which turned out to be necrotic tissue. I had stopped breast feeding my first 8 months before the discharge. They can test the discharge to determine what it is.

I have the same thing and the doctor told me that it is probably just a milk duct that has not completely dried up and will slowly leak out a bit at a time. I did have a mamo and one small cyst but everything else is good. Cysts are not cancer... most women have them. It is oily because it has sat for so long and isn't being stimulated like a lactating mom's milk would be. Ask your doctor at your next appointment but I don't think its anything to worry about.

Any changes in your breast - discharge, discoloration, skin changes - should be seen by a doctor. These can be indicators of breast cancer. Some cancers do not present themselves as lumps in the breast. Better to check it out then to wonder if it is okay. .

I had this as well (although before ever having a child) and a simple blood test confirmed my prolactin levels were too high and a later MRI confirmed I had a Pituitary Adenoma also known as a prolactinoma. It is a small tumor on the pituitary that is NOT cancerous and accounts for 15 percent of all intracranial tumors and is easily addressed with medication.

It isn't scary even though it sounds like it is. Good luck!

I've always heard that once a breastfeeding mother, always a breastfeeding mother. :) I have the same thing and haven't breastfed for two years. I put it down on the dr's papers they give you when you go in, and my dr didn't say anything. But I'd still ask if you are uncomfortable...

we do have oil glands in our nipples..but if you are concerned call your dr and ask!

1 / 3