Nighttime Feeding

When my daughter was 5 months old, I switched her to formula because she completely lost interest in breastfeeding. I welcomed not getting up 4 times a night to feed but now feel like I'm doing something wrong. My friends (most of them have babies too) act surprised that she is still waking up 2 times to eat. She eats like a pig! She is now 6 months and eating baby food followed by a bottle 2 times a day and having a 4-6 oz. bottle about every four hours (the food is one of the 4 hour periods). Let me say that I know she can have up to 8 oz. She will only drink 4-6 oz. and a very occassional 8oz.bottle. Also, she is in the 50th percentile for weight and height so she's perfect in that regard. I know when she wakes up around 12 and 5 that she is hungry. She will chow down a 6 oz. bottle easily. Friends have suggested cluster feeding but that has only lead to my wasting a TON of formula! Has anyone had a similar problem? I honestly don't mind getting up at night but I don't want to start a habit either. Should I just let her keep going with her current schedule? Thanks in advance for the help!

My little one also ate twice a night until about 6 months old. I didnt get rid of the 12 oclock feeding until she was only taking 2 or 3 oz. At that point I let her fuss and then she was fine after a night or two. I dont think she would be eating if she wasnt hungry. Have you tried doing other things like just repositioning or rocking before offering the bottle? I dont think you are doing anything wrong, babies are just different and when you feel she is ready, you can wean her from those feedings. Dont worry:)

I was told to give my baby a bottle with water when she will wake up at night. I did it for 3 nights and after that she satrted sleeping through the night. Give it a try. It has worked for my baby and all my nephews and nieces. It will be hard to hear her cry those 3 nights but it is so worth it.

K.-

I sounds like our daughters are cut from the same cloth. Mine is 6 months also and formula fed from 2 months on. She's also in the 50% for height and 25% for weight. She eats like a piggy too. Two to three times a day she eats solids followed by a 6-8 oz bottle. Then she gets a mid day, afternoon, and before bed bottle that is about 10 oz. She does sleep through the night so I think that's why she eats the 10 oz bottles. (With cereal added to the bottle by the way.) She also will "sample" what mommy and daddy are having if it's appropriate for her to try it. For example mashed potatoes and such. I've asked her doctor about it and as long as she's not losing or gaining too much weight she's fine. She's told me, and I read this too, that babies will eat when they are hungry and fill up and not eat any more when they are done. They naturally will only eat what they need. So while our daughters are eating till they look like ticks ready to explode they are happy and healthy. Just don't give her too big of a hug after a full meal. I've done this and YIKES! I think they just have fast metabolisms.

My suggestion would be to see if your daughter will take a bigger bottle before bed. This might help her last longer at night. But again, I wouldn't worry about what she's doing or about what the other moms say. Your daughter is just different from your friends babies but she's similar to others out there in the world.

Good luck and enjoy your happy baby!
Jen
http://www.mommysjoy.com

I dont think that you are doing anything wrong. Every baby is different so try to resist the urge to compare yours to your friends :)

When my son was your daughters age he ate in very similar intervals (Funny, it was like I was reading about my own kiddo!) And he would go to bed at 7:00 and always wake up at 1:00 AM and 5:00AM on the dot for a 6 oz bottle. He was like clockwork. We just went with it. sure we could have let him cry it out and try to force him to sleep through the night, but I could just tell by his vocalizations that he was truly hungry so we fed him.

However that passed as all phases do and soon he was not waking up for nightime feedings. He is going to be one year this month and he still occasionally wakes up hungry in the middle of the night, but it is really rare and usually seems to coincide with a growth spurt.

You are doing great mama! Hang in there.

All infants are different and will wean nightime feedings at thier own pace. It is perfectly normal for your child to be waking up 2x a night at 5 mths but you should be helping her wean the midnight feed around this time.

Every child is different. I have to remind myself of this every once in a while. My son is 7 months and has slept through the night 3 times. He wakes up and wants to eat no later than 2:00am and then on a good day at 6:00sm. I tried the cluster feed and it turned into outfit change at midnight because the diaper didn't hold (night diaper). Your baby is still young and sounds to be healthy and normal. Soon enough she will sleep through the midnight feeding. They change weekly. Sounds like you are taking great care of your daughter.

If you don't have issues with being up at night, and it's good you don't because your baby needs you, then just keep doing what you are doing. You are responding to her needs, and she is hungry and growing and developing new "tricks" every day at this age. Keep up the good work and remember every baby is different and every mommy has a different idea of what is "normal", so do your thing and enjoy your daughter. Just tell your friends you are happy with your schedule and move on to the next topic.

Sounds like your daughter is very normal to me, I have a 7 month old son when he was 5 months old did the same thing. He would wake up between 11:30pm-1:00am and again between 4:30-5:30am and proceed to drink an 8-10 ounce bottle. I wouldn't compare your baby with your friend’s babies because it will only make you crazy; every baby is so different. You know your baby best.

We started our son on rice or oatmeal cereal before he hit 6 months because he started to wake up three times a night, at various times. We began with plain cereal then slowly mixed the cereal with fruits or veggie purees until he now eats it four times a day; and usually only wakes up between 4-5am as long as he eats his last bowl of rice cereal around 7:30-8pm...If we miss his cereal we still need to feed him a bottle around 12:30am. This works for us so far. :)

1 / 3