Night Time Potty Training for Almost 6 Year Old

My almost 6 year old son is still wearing diapers at night. He is such a sound sleeper and doesn't even wake up. We've attempted to train him and have done everything you are supposed to do including stopping liquids after 5:00 PM. His diaper is so full at night that 3 out of 7 nights he's leaked, even after double diapering. Pull ups have never seemed to work either. He doesn't mind wearing them, but he'd be happy to be out of them. I've told him once he is out of diapers at night I will give him the amount of money I spend on diapers in one month, which is motivating to him. I was thinking of setting a clock alarm for him in the middle of the night. I bought one a few months ago without realizing the off button was too hard for him to turn off.
My question is whether I should push the issue (my husband took awhile before he was out of diapers at night) or wait until he's ready. Anyone have any experiences with a late nighttime potty trainer?

My brother had a problem wetting the bed and my parents tried everything. They would wake him up several times to go. They bought ann annoying pee alarm that would go off loudly as soon as it got wet and a few other things. Nothing seemed to work until he was actually ready.
I have heard of putting thicker pants on so they feel it more when they are wet because the pee gets trapped in the thick fabric and they stay wet longer.

L., A friend of mine had this same problem ..she set a bell alarm and when it when off she and her husband would go in and wake up their son and bring him to the bathroom..after awhile their son would automatically wake up to go himself..They did not put diapers on him. You just have to have an idea of when he does wet. (You will soon find out because they do not like to wake up in a wet bed).

I think the alarm idea is good, but I think it should be you doing the waking, instead of the alarm for him. We did this with our oldest, now 5 1/2, where we would wake her at 11pm, and take her. She would go every time...and a lot. Now, she if she needs to go at night, her little body wakes her, and she just goes by herself.

Two reasons why it's better for you to take him: 1)He'll be groggy, and may need a little help getting there. 2) He sees that you are awake too, and he appreciates it.

My daughter has really only wet the bed maybe 3 times, but it was because she was afraid to ge up out of bed. Not afraid of monsters, but afraid that my husband and I would get mad at her for getting out of bed. Yah, not logical, but what kid is at that age? Now I have a night light that guides her to the bathroom when she needs to at night, and I remind her every night that it's ok for her to get up and go if she needs to.

Mari

He's only 5. My 7 yr old still wets once in awhile. Its normal especially with boys. Those alarms don't really work and aren't recomended unless your child is over the age of 8 they have medication but you have to be realy careful with it because if he has too much fluid it could cause serious side effects. Don't push it and don't punish him or reward him if he stays dry or wets because its not something he is able to controle yet. If you try to do a reward system it will be harder on him when he fails. They have quite a few good books out there plus some children's books too. I can't check right now but I have two books if you want the names I can get them for you one of my friends is borrowing them. I found one of them more helpful than the other.

Have you had him checked for an immature bladder? This my be the cause and he should out grow it. Please have a talk with your pediatrician, children with this cannot control it and should not be punished or penalized. A dear friends son had this problem and she made him assist in changing his bed daily and doing the laundry [sheets and pajamas] Good luck

Our oldest had the same issue. We bought Good Nights at BJ's and we not only stopped the liquids after 5:30 but we would wake him up, carry him into the bathroom before we went to bed and he would go and then be dry in the a.m. After a week of doing this we gave the rest of the good nights away. Even still at almost 7 years old if he has had a super lot to drink during the day, I'll get him up and bring him in as he is still a very sound sleeper. Otherwise though, he does get up in the middle of the night and go. It will happen for your son, I promise!

My daughter has a similar issue, and we haven't found anything to help either. I did start using Overnights a while back and they work better than traditional diapers, but look like pull ups. I buy them by the case at BJ's, and they are cheaper than diapers per box.

Hang in there... this is a tough one, especially when you can't sense the light at the end of this wet sheet filled tunnel! I have an 7.5 year old boy who still wets at least a couple of times a week. This has just started to subside in the last few months. I have tried everything except the night time underpants alarm. I have heard good things about these alarms, but have opted not to use it. What has worked for us is limiting fluids like you have, also having him go to the bathroom a few extra times before bed. Also, I get him up to go right before I go to bed. My husband works 2nd shift and gets him up when he gets home at 130am. We've began decreasing the number of times we wake him at night. He also was having such difficulty waking we talked to his pedi who recommended a visit to an ENT. The ENT ordered a sleep study (also because our younger daughter had severe sleep apnea). So it ended up that he also had very bad sleep apnea and they took out his tonsils and adnoids. It has made a big difference! He is so much better rested. There is evidence that children who have sleep apnea wet their beds because they don't fully fall asleep until much later then when they go to bed and that causes them to go into a much deeper sleep later and they are less aware/unable to wake themselves up or to hold the pee in this state contributing to the bed wetting. Then there is also the immature bladder possibility (they do outgrow this). Anyway, talk to your pedi. Your son is still on the young side, try not to worry, you're on the right track it sometimes just takes time. Good luck!

1 / 3