Night Time Potty Training

My son is 3years old and fully potty trained since he was 2 1/2. My questions is at night time/nap time he still wears a pull up and sometimes he wakes up dry and other he wakes up soaking wet, I try to watch him fulid intake when after 7pm and have him go potty before bed and it still happens, I tell him before bed if you have to go in the night time get up and go potty there is a night light in there for him. Any advice for me.

Thank you all for the great advice! I will try some of the great Ideas I got. I also think since he is 3 yrs old he will come out of it he is still little and sleeps so hard at night.Thank you!!!

I'm in the same situation except a girl. I still use pull ups at nap and overnight. I'm not sweating it yet as I'[ve been told by many that their bladdars just aren't big enough to hold overnight potty. My daught does on occasion hold it through a nap, but no way overnight!!!

Good luck as we have to patiently wait...I'm on board with you!

My oldest was not fully potty trained untill 5 and he still has night time accidents about once a month mostly when we,ve not watched his liquid intake one thing that has helped is monthly chiropractic visits. We go to Horizon Family Chiropratic in River Falls Dr Schriner has specilized in kid care and after two months we noticed a difference. Plus it has helped with a lot of other issues. It's worth a try very non invasive

I just wanted to tell you that you are not alone. LOL. I am right there with ya. My son is 4 and has been trained since a month before his 3rd birthday. He has yet to stay dry at night. I have even been getting up in the night to take him potty and he still wakes up soaked sometimes. We have been giving him stickers on the nights he stays dry and he also gets to pick something to do special one on one with mom or dad. He loves to play board games. I have been told this is normal till they are 5 and then its still not of concern until they are 6 or 7 and then you take them to the doctor. Some kids even wet the bed until they are 8!! I have been told that some kids are deeper sleepers than others and don't even realize they have to pee until they are wet. I have a friend who wakes her son at least 3 times in the night and he stays dry. But she works Night shift during the weekends so she is normally up at night anyways most of the week. he is going on 7 now, and just sleeps to Hard. I have to say you are lucky to still be able to put him in training pants. My husband saw the price of them and said NO WAY! He refuses. So I change bedding ALOT. Its tiring. I did pick up some waterproof pads that protect the sheets but sometimes he rolls off them as they are crib size and he is in a twin bed. I also have a vinyl mattress cover under the sheets that cover the entire mattress so it is not ruined. that helps a ton. I just wish I could find bigger mattress pads than the crib size. Well talk laterz. J.

Hi, I seem to remember my older daughter having night-time issues wetting at that age that I discovered were related to what she'd eaten that day. I actually started food-journaling, and I think the main culprits were dairy (even Organic), especially ice cream, and any sort of candy eaten after noon. I don't know if that helps you or not though. I'm sure it will pass though, either way. My older daughter is 5 now and I think she grew out of the dairy/candy-night-wetting reaction at least over a year ago.

All the best,
Angie

Hi! My son is 10 and still he has trouble with this! Boys are sometimes a little slower than girls. I sure wouldn't worry about it yet. Be patient with him,...I'm sure you are. Bed wetting is often hereditary. I was a bedwetter also and finally outgrew it around age 11. My son now sets his own alarm in the middle of the night. Deep sleepers often wet also. My advice to you is keep him in pull-ups for as long as you can. I made the mistake of never wanting to go backwards so not to hurt his feelings...in the many years that have followed, I've changed ALOT of sheets! This probably made me more frustrated than anything. So make it easy on yourself. Gabe was sure able to pick up on my agony over changing so many sheets and I hurt his feelings and he misinterpreted as me being angry with him...
We also bought the alarm system for bedwetting...it worked but again,...they'll go back to it until their body is ready. Good luck to you!

He's just not ready to stay dry all night. I would just stick with putting pull ups on at night. It is VERY normal for kids to not be able to make it through the night until age 5-7. Most pediatricians don't even consider it a problem until age 6-8. Just be patient. Both of my boys wore pull ups at night until kindergarten.

I just read most of your responses because I'm in the same boat right now. My 3 year old boy is potty trained, but wetting at night. For about a month he was staying dry for nap, but now he's back to wetting then, too. I just ordered these bed pads from One Step Ahead that are suppose to be really great and easy to change. They hold up to 6 cups of liquid. Might be worth checking out.

http://www.onestepahead.com

Night time bedwetting is unconscious because it is a Blood Sugar issue. Let me explain:

In all of us, it is when our blood sugar drops that we find ourselves having the urge to pee. This is the message our brain gets when our blood sugar drops that gets sent to the bladder. In young children, the untrained bladder sphincter releases automatically when the brain gets this message. The answer is this:

1. Give him a high fat snack before bed (low sugar): Peanut butter toast (sugar-free peanut butter), grilled cheese sandwich, cheese and crackers, cheese and apples... the higher fat the better and the MORE he can eat the better.
2. Let him drink plenty of water (not juice) until he isn't thirsty any more. Dehydration causes the body to take as much water out of the residual food in the colon as possible, which is why when you deny water the problem gets worse. To the brain, dehydration is just a different kind of hunger.

Your problems will all-but disappear right from the get-go, however you may have some accidents in the future, so be cautious about diapers.

Once the bladder sphincter starts to go all night without releasing, it will start to strengthen and he will wake up because his bladder is full in the morning - the way we all do.

I implemented this with my daughter at the age of seven! I wish I had found this information when she was three - it would have saved me four years of diapers and sheets.

I would suggest you get a little potty chair (or a porcelain pot like they used long ago) to put next to his bed. With my girls I could always lift them out of bed and sit them on the potty and they would instinctively go, but I am thinking that with a nighttime potty-training 3 year-old boy it may take more effort. I don't know why he couldn't go potty sitting down, I guess. It sounds like he is just too busy sleeping to pay attention to needing to pee...so his onesie is getting all wet. Three is pretty young still so I think just keep doing what you're doing and perhaps try the potty-next-to-the-bed concept because it really worked for us. If you are interested, basically the idea is ultimately to get him to use the potty in the bathroom. In order to do this, you have to move the potty bit by bit, each move separated by three months' time, and show the little guy where you have moved the potty in relation to his bed (example:three months from now, when he is in the swing of things using the port-o-potty, say, "Bradin, the potty used to be next to your bed but now it is going to be right next to your bedroom door. When you need to go potty, here is a nightlight right next to your potty so you can see it.") and eventually your sneakiness will not be detected by him, resulting in him getting up and going potty in the bathroom on the regular toilet before he knows what's up. This totally worked like a charm for all my kids. Good luck!

I can relate to your concern! My oldest boy followed almost this exact same schedule that you are currently dealing with. We tried the same types of things, hoping he would stay dry during the night (limiting fluids, getting him up during the night to pee, but nothing worked). However, it was right about his 4th birthday that he actually decided for himself that he wanted to stop wearing pull-ups at night. And now he has stayed dry (in his underwear or pajama bottoms) during the night almost every night since (he is now almost 4 1/2 now). He also hasn't ever gotten up at night to go to the bathroom, just holds it all night. We did have some friends tell us that sometimes their little bladders just aren't ready to hold it for that long of a time span (overnight) until they are a bit older.
I would recommend you hang in there, give him some more time and not get too set on a certain age he should "get it"- hope this helps :-)

1 / 3