Newborn with Horrible Gas

My 4 week old is having horrible gas pretty much all the time but it seems like it gets worse in the afternoon & evening. She will wake up in the middle of a nap crying uncontrollably & kicking. She is on Enfamil Lipil formula. We've recently switched to a different type of bottle to see if that would help. We've tried Mylicon drops, pumping her legs up & down to release the gas, put a warm washcloth over her tummy & nothing really seems to be helping her. I have called her doctor's office to ask if I should switch her formula & to see if she could possible have colic & they just keep telling me that it's normal & tell me these other home remedies to do. She is sometimes upset all evening long & I just don't see how that can be normal. She acts like she's really in pain & we can't stand to see her that way & not be able to do anything about it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much to everyone who responded with ideas on how to help! We tried the Gripe water which seemed to help a little, but, eventually, just decided to change her formula to Enfamil Gentlease & now she's like a totally different child! She also had her doctor's appointment yesterday & she has a little reflux so the doctor gave us a prescription of Zantac. Thanks again for all of your suggestions! We really appreciate the help!

we used an item called "gripe water" generally available for about $4- from an Indian grocery..it works great...I think that this remedy is more common in Canada (where I grew up)
Good luck-

My son was the exact same way when he was about a month old. We had to switch his milk to Similac Sensitive...worked like a charm!

I friend of mine swears by gripe water. Her daughter had the same kind of problems. And her mother told her to get some gripe water. She never had gas problems again. They sell it at drug stores and some caribbean food stores.

Baby is probably lactose intolerant or allergic to the formula. It is not "normal" for a baby just as it is not "normal" for us to be running around passing gas all day long and screaming in pain!

Some of these dr's really make me sick. My daughter was MISERABLE as a baby and I knew somthing was not right. The dr's kept saying she's fine, will grow out of it. Then she passed a bloddy stool at 9 months and had to have intestinal surgery! After switching dr's and getting allergy testing she was allergic to dairy, peanut, egg and wheat. I was nursing and once I stopped eating peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and milk for lunch "everday", she was fine!

Soooooo trust your gut instinct. If it doesn't feel right it probably isn't. If you need to, change doctors.

I agree with Mimi 100%. I would add that you should take your baby to see a Chiropractor. Her little body went thru a lot in the birth process and this caused a lot of her nerves to become pinched. In turn, you can get colic, reflux, gas with lots of PAIN. It is a very easy fix! A Chiropractor can put her spine (that controls every nerve and function in your body) back in its correct alignment. Please consider this. I am a Chiropractor and I can tell you our treatment is gentle and effective! What have you got to loose, your little girl is in pain? Please let me know if I can answer any questions for you! Good luck.

Good Morning,
Try massaging her tummy with vaseline right after a warm bath. My twins had gas also and I used the Mylicon drops, it helped but a friend who also had twins in Germany, said a German doctor told her to massage their tummy right after a bath with vaseline and it worked wonders for the both of us.

We just went through the same thing with my son, who is now 9 weeks old. We weren't able to do anything with him. Our best bet would be to lay him on his belly with his legs up under him and pat his but. This seemed to help sometimes. I don't know about changing formulas b/c I am EBF. I really feel your pain it was awful. Hang in there it will get better I promise.

Hey M.,

I know this can be fustrating. I never used Mylicon drops, they are expensive and never seemed to do the job. try brown sugar water when your baby has these fits. My mom used it on 4 kids, and we have all used it for ours, it works like a charm. You can add 1/2 tblsp to her formula or to 4 oz. warm water. When she is older you will use a full tblsp. It calmed my oldest immediatly, and about 5 minutes after having it my 2nd son would have a bowel movement and be perfectly fine. I know you mentioned "home remedies", but this one is tried and true for our family.

My son had gas often when he was that young. His Ped. put him on Enfamil Gentlease and that seemed to do better. He also had reflux and was put on a med for that also. Your daughter may have a little of both. I also remember reading that patting their bottom when they are gassy gives them a direction to focus on releasing the gas; that also worked well with my son.

Are her bowel movements normal or do you have lots of diapers? There may be a milk intolerance issue, which takes some work to get around.
If all other advice fails and this continues, you may try adding cod liver oil (1 tblsp to 6 oz) to almond or rice milk (adding in more vitamins and minerals after a trial of a day or two). The ped may turn their nose up, but a trial of a day or two without all the many additional vitamins is not going to hurt just until you find out if the milk is a problem. The reason you usually wait on the supplements is many of them add the iron and that can cause issues that you can deal with after you determine if milk could be the cause.
Hang in there! J

Mylicon drops... My daughter has massive gas. I asked the doctor what to do and he said I can give her as much Mylicon drops needed.

1 / 3