Newborn Twitching???

Hi mamas, my daughter is a week old tomorrow and she started twitching today in her sleep. I was holding her and her arms and legs would randomly twitch once or twice, stop and then do it again a little bit later. She didn't do it with every nap today, just twice. I called my pediatrician and they said that most likely her nervous system just isn't fully developed yet (she was 2 wks early), but I need to keep an eye on it. Has anyone else experienced this? How long did it last?
Thanks.

This is a phenomena common in newborns called moro reflex. It is normal .

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moro_reflex

My son did this too when he was an infant. He did it maybe a couple of times the first month. He was perfectly healthy:) Some kids who are born on time still experience this as well. My niece and nephew did it and they were not early. Just keep your eye on her. She will be fine:) It scared me the first time it happend too. Congrats on your new baby!

When you speak with your pediatrician's office next, please ask them about getting a copy of "Your Baby's First Year" - it should be free from the office from the American Academy of Pediatrics.

I read it cover to cover with my first child - it really helped me better understand some of the nuances of having a baby for the first time, what to get concerned about and what was more "normal".

Good luck! Hope you're thoroughly enjoying that baby.

It is normal for newborns to twitch and jump (as though they've been startled) when they are sleeping. Both of mine did this and it lasts for about 4-6 weeks. Congratulations on your baby!!

My husband and my son (7yo) both twitch in their sleep, especially right when they fall asleep. (It is how I know my husband has fallen asleep, actually.) So it's normal to me.... if it's not, uhoh!

If this is the Moro Reflex (it sounds like it to me) it is completely normal and doesn't have anything to do with your baby being early. My son was 3 days late and had it regularly until he was 3 months old, occasionally until he was about 6 months old! Do some research to find out if this is what you're seeing or if it is something else - but if it's the Moro Reflex, I would be a little concerned that your doctor raised the alarm instead of reassuring you. I've never known a baby that didn't go through this.

She also could be dreaming.

Hi V.,

I remember my son did this for the first few weeks... we noticed him twitching in his sleep, and I think it continued on occasionally for a few months. Our pediatrician said it was nothing to worry about, and it did stop on its own.

Best,

N.

1 / 3