Newborn Throwing up Milk Thru Nose

My son is 8 days old and he has had a problem spitting up. I am not too concerned at his 4 day visit his weight gain was OK except that I find it very disturbing that he nurses and throws up quite a bit of milk and often it comes out of his nose. It seems like it is probably not a big deal but I noticed that it is much more severe when I have to wake him up to fit in the feeds (if it has been more than 3 hours since start of last feed). I sit him up for at least 30 min after each feed and he still throws up (not spit up like curdled milk- this is fresh in fresh out). Any thoughts?

if it keeps up or increases to every feeding or becomes projectile...you may want to ask his doctor about the posibility of pyloric stenosis. I know my son had it at 3 wks old & thats about how it started. its scarey to see them throwing up like that. Hope he gets to doing better. C.

Since he is a newborn I would talk with the doctor. Rule out all possibilities.

On a side note I'm 36 years old and when ever I throw up I still throw up through my nose. Yuck, but true!

good morning,
my name is S..i found my grandson use to do the same thing.my daughter times her sons feedings.she will feed him for a little burp him,wait a minute and start over again.we also do that wait at least 30-45 minute rule to assure digesting and do the burping process over again.i read where you have tried some of these methods.have you spoken to a pediatrician concerning this matter.he/she may order a gi series to see if there is any abnormality.please keep me posted and i hope all goes well with you.

You son sounds very much like my daughter did at that age. She would throw up 1/2 a feeding or more after every feeding. Sometimes it was instantly and sometimes it took 30 minutes. Sitting her up didn't help at all. I had to feed her every 1 - 1/2 hours. She was always gaining weight, but an ounce or less a week isn't what I consider good weight gain. Her pediatrician didn't agree. As she got older it got worse and became projectile vomiting. She turned out to have sever GERD, but they generally won't medicate for that until they are six months old. My daughter was an extreme case having been diagnosed with esinophillic esophagitis. She is allergic to milk and soy and it turned that she was allergic to breast milk. If you are nursing, eliminate dairy from your diet to see if there is an improvement. You can get calcium and vitamin through foods like broccoli, Total raisin bran, honey nut cheerios milk 'n cereal bars, spinach (cooked), canned salmon, tofu, wonder kids bread, kix cereal, sunflower seeds, white beans, almonds, flour tortillas and supplements. If you see an improvement, then stick with the non-dairy diet. Usually if it is baked in or cooked in it isn't as much of a problem. If your baby is still having trouble, you'll have to go to a hyper-allergenic formula like Neutramigen or Alimenten.

One thing I learned the hard way is how to communicate with your doctor. If your child is still spitting up after 20 minutes of feeding, it is throwing up. They view this very differently. If your baby spits up and can't stop that reflux, tell your doctor that. We went 8 months with out pediatrician treating us like lunatics and pacifying us because I wasn't speaking in their language. I had to seek out specialists on my own because our pediatrician didn't think anything was wrong with our daughter. She is generally healthy now, but has some other health issues caused by not being diagnosed properly at a younger age. She is very happy! That was always a problem too. Apparently doctors think that happy babies aren't sick. Her weight gain is still very slow. She's been in the 3rd-10th percentile all her life (she is 3 now). Whatever you do, don't panic. All you probably need to do is modify your diet or the baby's slightly. Also, try to let your son sleep in his infant carrier or a bouncer seat inside the crib. That really helps with reflux babies. Good luck!

my son did a lot of that but he was gaining weight just fine and the dr saw no damage to his throat. So he would not give us any meds. I was amazed at how much could come out of a little babys stomach. I started out with my son sleeping in a crib and i raised one end to elevate his head. This did not help much. I started having my son sleep in a swing, which improved the acid reflux a lot. he slept in a swing until he was 16 months and to big to stay in it safely. At 16 months, I moved him to our bed and slept him on a pillow and i inclined his part of the mattress. Until my son was 6 months, my working husband and I took shifts watching our son while sleeping because we were concerned he would choke on spit up. My son will be 3 in a week and he still has acid reflux that makes him throw up. He has an allergy to wheat - celiacs disease. I am sure that me eating wheat while I nursed him made the conditions worse, but he was not diagnosed until 2. They have meds out there for the acid reflux, but there are side effects. My sons Ped GI dr put him on mylanta and it has worked wonders - no more juicy burps or sitting up and throwing up in bed. The Dr. said he put him on mylanta because there are no side effects. If you baby continues to spit up alot, you may ask your dr about it. I mix my sons in his koolaide and he is none the wiser! By the way, acid reflux hurts, so if your son is very cranky you may know why. Good Luck.

I would consult with your pediatrician. With regards to waking him up to feed, I would recommend against that unless your dr. is advising due to insufficient weight gain. Let him set his own feeding schedule. When he is hungry, he will let you know. Children are fantastic self regulators when it comes to hunger. Good luck and congratulations!

Hi, I am a mom of 6 and my youngest is now 13 years old. I would definetly check with your doctor to make sure he isn't having reflux problems. If he is more severe after waking him to feed him every 3 hours, he probably doesn't need that much food. I never woke mine up to eat. I let them decide when they were hungery. All six of mine were premie and all were healthy and very chubby babies. He may be getting more milk than he can handle. But your doctor would be the best expert on this question.

R.- Congratulations on your new arrival! My son (now 19 months old) did the same thing. He was in the NICU for 8 days following his joyous arrival and that is where it started. Almost everytime he spit up it was through his nose. He didn't have the suck-swallow thing down pat yet and wanted to keep his tongue "locked" in the roof of his mouth- therefore it came out of his nose- like you it scared us to death! The nurses raised the end of the bed swaddled him and placed him on his side, that way if he did spit up he didn't get choked. We continued the same thing when we came home and it worked until he was able to move around from the position he was placed in. He stopped spitting up so we stopped doing it... he would not sleep! We had MANY sleepless nights until someone suggested that we raise his mattress up and put blankets under one end to elevate it- (also helps to prevent ear infections!) From that night on he started sleeping through the night! You may still want to mention acid reflux though- even though my son stopped spitting up everytime I layed him flat he would scream- I thought he was spoiled but after raising the mattress I realized it wasn't that. It delayed having to have him put on meds for a little while but he is now on 2 pills a day for acid reflux. Good luck with your little one, I hope this helps!

Rachel,

I think keeping him up after feeding is a great idea. You may just want to have him checked by the pediatrician next week, if this persists. Godd Luck!

1 / 3