New Tooth Coming in Before Baby Tooth Has Fallen Out

My 7-year-old has a new tooth coming in, but the baby tooth in that same spot hasn't fallen out yet -- it's one of her top incisors if that makes a difference. The baby tooth is loose, so I'm inclined to think it will just fall out on its own in the next couple of weeks, but my husband wants to bring her in to the dentist to have the baby tooth pulled "so she doesn't end up with a snaggletooth," as he put it. She does okay with the dentist, but I'm pretty sure they'd have to give her novocaine or laughing gas to pull the tooth as she complains if we so much as pull gently on it. Of course, that gets expensive! I'm happy to spend the money if it's necessary for her dental health, but I'd rather spare us the expense and the ordeal if we can just wait for the baby tooth to fall out on its own. Any experiences to share?

My daughter has lost her two bottom front teeth so far. Both of her permanent teeth were coming in behind before the baby teeth fell out. After the baby teeth fell out her permanent teeth moved forward into place.

My son had this with 3 of the 4 teeth he has lost so far. It's so aggravating! :) I was SO worried that his permanent teeth would be crooked as a result but the teeth *did* eventually come out and the permanent teeth grew in beautifully!

My eight year old daughter had the same problem. I just let the new tooth push the old one out and she is fine. However, the reason I did this was because my oldest had the same problem too and I took her to the dentist and he told me to let it run its course. So I would ask your dentist too, but call first so that you don't waste the money on a visit you may not need. Hope this helps.

It wouldn't hurt to have the dentist at least take a look and make sure everything is going ok. That tooth wont necessarily leave on its own. My dad had a baby tooth behind a adult tooth for over 30 years before having it pulled because of complications. No one could see it so he never had it out.

This happened to my son. We took him to the dentist who just laughed at my 'worried mother response' to this as it is VERY normal for this to happen. He told us that the new tooth would push the old one out and even if the new tooth was coming in ahead of or behind the old one, once the old one was out, the new one would slide right into place. Furthermore, we were told that -- even if we asked him to -- they wouldn't pull the old tooth.

"Shark teeth" are fairly common! My sons bottom two teeth came in behind the baby teeth and they worked their way forward & into place after the baby teeth came out. I wouldn't worry about it--especially on the bottom. You could have it looked at though.

It is pretty normal and common for the new tooth to be coming in before the old one it out...i believe it is called a shark tooth...let it work its way out, but watch for when it gets pretty loose and the new one is almost grown in. it gets hard to brush the new one with the old one in the way...when ready,have your daughter pull out on her own or you may need to intervene...if the old one is not getting loose, then proceed to dentist. but for now, save your money!!

We've had that with several of our children. With the first, we did the dentist route. They had to completely sedate him. WIth the others, we had different dentists, and none of them suggested going that route. They all said that it will be fine when the teeth come in. Sure enough. You'd never know that they had "shark teeth" as we called them. My kids were blessed with my husband's teeth, they are lined up just right.

1 / 3