New Singulair Side Effects

Has anyone noticed subtle changes in their child while taking Singulair? My 11 year old has allergies and asthma and has been on Singulair (and other meds) for a long time on and off. I notice distict changes in mood, behavior and sleeping habits while on Singulair. I brought it up to our pediatrician several years ago and he brushed it off as being perfectly safe. I even brought it up to my son's allergist more recently and she was puzzled. Said it must be something else. Imagine my surprise when I've been seeing the news articles on Singulair that it can cause these precise symtoms. I have asked a couple friends whose kids are on Singulair if they've noticed anything and no one has. Has anyone out there??

Thank you so much to everyone for all of the insightful responses I received! I am glad I am not alone with my suspicions. After seeing other people's stories and doing more research into the drug, I am convinced that Singulair is affecting him in some way. I will bring it up the next time we go see his allergist and be armed with more info. since, apparently, none of her other patients have ever brought this up. Thanks again!

Can't say that I've seen side effects that I would attribute to the medicine (but wouldn't necessarily rule these out either--we've just had too many changes to pinpoint things). I did hear a developmental optometrist mention that some allergy medications cause problems with functional vision.

Hi! This subject makes me so mad. Medications do affect people differently. Singulair causes the exact side effects you are saying for me and my son. I was very irritable, couldn't sleep, etc. I am off all antihistamines. Doctors do not seem to want to admit that medications do have harmful side effects. It is up to the patient to decide if the effects are worth it. Just because the doctor has not heard of effects from their patients do not mean that it does not exist. We suffer and are miserable with the allergies but I do prefer that to the anger and irritability from the Singulair/Allegra etc. My son's teachers also appreciate the fact that I no longer give that medication to my son.

Here's some additional info that I hope you might find helpful...

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/8/t080700.asp

Best wishes,

i recently stumbled upon a whole website devoted to people with kids who had reactions to medications especially allergy meds and mood swings. I would get her off of it and look into other way of treating her with little or no medication

My children have not taken it, but my friend recently took her 7 year old daughter off of it because she would have bi-polar -like symptoms when she was on it. Even though she has severe asthma, my friend could not take the side-effects and has been trying other, more natural solutions.

Trust your instincts, and find something else if you are seeing changes in your child.

My 8 year old son was on and off Singulair for about 2 years and didn't experience any serious side effects. However, I knew that children's chewables contained Aspartame (excitotoxin) and artificial flavors and stuff so we requested a prescription for adult pills (no Aspartame there)and portioned appropriately for his age. Same went for Zyrtec. In the meantime, we were constantly looking for natural alternatives and with allergy treatments such as EFT and NAET, and proper diet he no longer needs to be on any meds. I never accepted in my mind the idea on keeping him on medications for a long period of time - only as needed, as you don't really know how his body is doing without drugs and how it can start to work more on its own and eventually recover. Follow your intuition and request a change of prescription, or maybe try and wait to see if he still needs it. Best of luck to you and your son.

J. K.

My pediatrician did tell me that behavioral changes were being seen in older children who were taking singulair and
they were trying to ween kids off the meds. My child, only a toddler was taking singulair for allergies, even though he isnt at rish because he is younger, I did not want to take a chance. I took him off singulair, and I also now use neilmed saline nose type products for his allergies.

my friend had her boy on it from age 3 till age 9. Finally they made the connection you are making. It had gotten really bad - her son got paranoid and developed phobias about being in a room by himself and being in elevators, flying, etc.

They took him off the singular and within a few weeks he was not having any of those phobias anymore, and sleeping better and not having meltdowns as much at all. The boy said to his mom "I'm so glad I don't get that jittery feeling anymore. I never want to go back on that Singular. It made my skin jump."

SO, that is all the evidence I needed - my daughter went on Claritin this spring when she was diagnosed with seasonal allergies! No issues at all.

Mommy 3,
Yes!!!! Our son was put on Singulair for tightness in his chest and wheezing and it drastically affected our 8 1/2 yr old son's mood and yes sleeping habits.
Plus, it didn't help, actually seemed to make it worse, so we took him off of the singulair.
Had the same brush off from the pediatrician. When we told her it does not help, she prescribed an additional drug!

Yes! My son was on singular last year and after only a few days he was having a lot of trouble sleeping. My doctor said a lot of kids get a headache from it to. Best to switch to something else. There is also some websites where mom's have written about there kids reactions to it.

My 10 year old takes Singulair with no side affects. But my friend took her daughter off of it after only 2 weeks because she was a "monster" after starting it.

Even if the doctors do not agree with you, your daughter should not be on any medication that you don't like. Stop taking it, and find something else. There are other products to try. Stand up and demand another solution!

I was on Singular and Nasonex both for several years and, whilst I can't say I noticed those kind of side effects, I knew I didn't want to stay on them forever. I started using a sinus rinse (www.neilmed.com) 3 years ago and now I don't use any meds for allergies. My allergies were so bad previously that I would regularly get sinus infections and one time I was having so much trouble breathing I had a panic attack. I haven't had a sinus infection in ages now and feel so much better for not being on meds all the time. The sinus rinse does take some getting used to and might be kind of tricky for an 11 year old, but if you can get him to use it I think you'll find he feels much better. My allergist was the first person to recommend this to me, then my father-in-law told me how much it helped him with his allergies. Maybe you could ask your son's allergist about it, or you could just try it yourselves since it's a natural remedy. Good luck anyway!

my son has been taking singulair for quite a while, however, he is now 20. I think he started around 15 or 16. he has never exhibited any side effects. he takes the 10mg dose. If you are concerned about side effects, tell the doctor that you don't want your child to continue this medication. demand something else. I was also concerned when the info came out about suicidal tendencies etc. So, don't let it go on..no matter what!

My 9 year old boy also has allergies and asthma and has taken Singular off and on (during pollen seasons) for the past 4 or 5 years. I have to say that I haven't noticed any changes. He's a solid sleeper with or without the Singulair. I have noticed that Claritin and other non-drowsy formulas of antihistamines and cold medicines do keep him awake and/or make him jumpy, as does Albuterol.

FDA just added behavioral changes and even suicidal ideation to a the list of side effects for Singulair and a few inhalers. I would call your Doctor and if they still say they haven't heard of that, find a new Doctor. All medications and even over the counter ones can have side effects. You know your child best, if something isn't right demand a change in medication.

My neighbors son was on Singulair and it a long time to figure out what was going on with him. He was waking up in the middle of the night with nightmares and hilucinations. She only figured it out because another friend had the same reaction. I would ask for another drug - there are a lot out there. These side effects are described the material that comes with the medicine (buried in the fine print).

A study came out last year or two years ago saying that Singulair causes anxiety. I remember distinctly because I had been on it for years and developed such anxiety that I was put on meds for that, too! Went off the Singulair and the anxiety went away.

Hi!
You are not crazy! My son started this med recently and the dr. said that outbursts and "bad" behavior were a reaction that some children have. If that was the case she said to stop the medicine and we'd try something else. In our case he was fine, but it is a possibility!!

www.askapatient.com

to look up meds and reactions that people have had to them.

I am not sure if it has anything to do with Singular, but I would guess that she is going into 6th or 7th grade. I would bet that it has everything to do with becoming a pre teen. Good Luck!! :)