New Law Banning Selling and Purchasing Used Baby Products(clothes, Gear, Toys...

Hi ladies,

I just heard from a fellow mom about a new law prohibiting the selling and purchasing of all baby products unless they are new. Have any of you heard about this law? I hope it is not true and that they somehow amend it. if you have any information please respond and share the news.

The law is set to take effect Feb. 10th barring any reprieve. The law does not prohibit buying/selling products unless they are new, it is aimed at lead content in children's (up to 12 y/o) products, which could have a big impact on older products. From everything I have read the law is extremely vague and poorly written. I beleive people are lobbying to have the law at least pushed back so it can be more difinitive and in this economy not put more small business owner, like myself, out of business.
I hope I was helpful!
E.

You can find out info about the new law here - http://www.afullcup.com/forums/ebay-addicts/158741-urgent...
amd here-
http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/pending/cpsia.asp

There was a new law passed and it was ammended to not include clothing sold at second hand stores. The stores like childrens orchard are not going to close they just have to be up to date on recalls.

I was worried too when I heard this cause I sell my daughters clothes to try to get a jump on the mext size without breaking the bank... I was assured that I will still be able to buy and sell my daughters clothes. So don't worry

As someone stated, they weren't "putting" lead into children's clothing, but there was lead found in buttons and embellishments. Basically stores just have to go through more stringent testing, both of new and used clothing. Haven't read that website link yet, but didn't want anyone to think they were actually putting lead into clothes like another responder mentioned.

At first the law used to say that ALL baby products must be tested before they could be sold, but later amended to say only NEW products must be tested. Used products are generally exempted, however, the sellers must verify one way or another that they are lead-free, or at least cannot sell products that are widely known to contain lead. So thrift and consignment stores can remain in business, but they still need to re-check their inventories and remove those that have already been proven to be positive for lead.

Another way you can check for chemicals in toys is this website: http://www.healthytoys.org/index.php. Also, anything Chinese-made should be re-checked.

This is no longer true. The original legislation that was written was imposing on Resell and Thrift shops too, in addition to ANY seller (such as Craigslist and garage sales) BUT the legislation has been re written, and is now for NEW items. All reseller must follow recalls closely, and consumers should also be aware, but it is still legal to resell children items :) Good news for me since that is my business!!

In answer to the woman about car seats..... the reseller must be able to PROVE that the car seat has NEVER been in ANY sort of accident... which by the written law also means it's never been dropped....many stores (mine included) have opted to NOT sell carseats for this reason (the liability is too high) and many business insurance policies (which you HAVE to the have to legally do business in California) won't cover you if you sell carseats for the same reason, the liablity is too high. In my humble oppinion carseats are one place we need to such it up and spend the $$ to make sure our kids are the safest we can make them :)

I hope I was helpful!
E.

I know safety products (car seats) can not be re-sold. Also, if you donate items to Good Will or a similar charity they do not take ANY baby furniture or products other than toys/clothes. It is for safety reasons because they don't keep track of all the recalls. As far as I know re-sale shops are still in business for the larger items though. Most of them check on recall and safety hazards before re-selling.

1 / 3