New Job & New Baby?? What to Do?

My husband and I have a 13 month old at home currently and are thinking about starting to plan for number 2. We had decided I would be a stay at home mom and have a second child when I got a call for a teaching position that I have been waiting for. Is is wrong to still go forward with our plans for number two or do we wait. Anyone else have this situation before. Really want another baby but hate taking maternity first year on job.

Hi A.-

I have a 15-month daughter and I am also a teacher. I got pregnant in March of 2006 and received my first teaching job in August of 2006. I took an 8 week maternity leave starting on December 13th. I was a little nervous about it at first but I found that the principal was really easy to work with and she was very understanding. So I think it would be perfectly fine to take the job and start trying for number two. I hope this helps, M.

All I can say is my 2 are about 3 years apart and that seems to be a good gap between them they get along very well. My daughter is 5 and my son is 2.

you do not need to tell a prospective employer that you are thinking of trying to get pregnant...it is none of their busines. If you do get pregnant, you have the right to take family leave during maternity leave. i would assume most employers know there is a chance women of a certain age have the possibility to get pregnant while working for them. you are protected by laws if you get pregnant and are working...if after you have the 2nd baby and decide to stay at home, you quit respectfully and dont play games with your employer, especially if they have been respectful/flexible to you while preganant and on leave.

Is there anyway to get pregnant so that you would have the baby durning summer break or is it a year round teaching job. If there is summer break you wouldn't need to take maternity leave...and you would get 3 months at home.

I did it. I took a teaching job that I had really wanted knowing that I was already pregnant. 4 months after starting the job I took a 12 week maternity leave. Came back, worked for one more school year and then quit to be a SAHM. For me, working full time and being a mom wasn't working. I always felt like I was missing something, like his first time crawling, first steps, first words, etc. My thinking is a job will always be there, but these first years with your kids you'll never be able to get back. I currently stay at home full time and tutor in the evenings a few hours a week. I plan to eventually return to teaching full time when my youngest is in first grade. There is always a balance, you just need to find out what that balance is for you and your family.

Take some time to think about it. It is not wrong no matter what decision you make. It sounds like a great job. There are several options: Hubby takes off some time to care for the new baby, you go ahead and take maternity leave, take the baby to a daycare or wait about a year and then have a baby.

I wish you the best in your decision-making.

L. :)

A.- My children's teacher and my friend was in a similar predicament. You must realize that everything doesn't happen the way we always want it to but what they did was figured out when she would hav ethe most time withthe babies and gage delivery around summer break. Granted they have 2 beautiful children born at the end of a school year. Plus it is nice to finally get a full time job. Good luck with #2.

A good friend of mine got a job and found out she was preggers almost immediately. While she was able to take maternity leave, she was NOT paid for it because she was in her first year with the company. I'm not sure how that works with teaching or with your specific position, but it might be something to factor in your decision. For me personally we wouldn't be able to afford my not getting paid for 12 weeks.
That said, if you want the job, TAKE IT. Good jobs are hard to find, and enjoying your work is a wonderful lesson to pass on to your children.

One of the wisest things I have ever heard regarding this kind of situation is "Don't let a job dictate the size of your family." In other words, go ahead with your plans for having another baby, take the job if it's what you want to do, and things will work out one way or the other!

1 / 3