New Career at 43? - Colorado Springs,CO

Hi Mamas, you are always so helpful, I thought I'd put this out there, because I'm having a hard time with this, and it's scaring me a bit. I find myself, at 43, with a 4-yr-old, and feeling that I need to start getting serious about being sure that I'm able to support us if the need arises. I was an elementary school teacher for just a few years before the birth of my daughter, but I really do not want to have to return to the classroom, as it is a job that requires giving up an enormous amount of personal time if you want to do it right. I have thought about going to a trade school, but am not really sure for what. I did some editing at one point in my life, and I think I'd enjoy that, but I don't have a ton of experience in this area. I have also considered tutoring. Any ideas? I'd really appreciate any input you can give me.

Thanks for all your advice. You really helped me to think things through. I decided that the logical thing is to stay in education, and I am going to pursue a masters degree online.

Hi JF
I would love to talk to you about an opportunity that is geared toward education and I work from home and I LOVE it!
I am available to talk today at 4:30 or tomorrow at 10 am. If either of those times don't work for you send some times that will.
L. ###-###-####

Look into technical writing. I made the transition from teaching to technical writer, and it has been very flexible and lucrative for me. You have the opportunity to do everything from contract work, working for smaller start up places to working for large corporations with great benefits! Many entry-level tech writer jobs only want you to have a writing or teaching background and they'll teach you the way around software you'll use such as RoboHelp.

Please check these two websites. makeadifference/dvd
and nussentials.com/bjdudley. It is a 2 to 5 year plan with a wonderful redisual plan. Also a another great site is brilliant compensation both are well worth your time. If you are interested please e-mail me ____@____.com

what about teaching at one of the those kumon type places.. part time.. fews students..

I would look into the medical field.. lots of openings.. and there is always aneed-- radiation tech, ultrasound tech.. etc.. I think they are about 1 -2 year programs..

I was an elementary school teacher at one point in my life (for 3 years) and only left b/c I did not make enough to support myself. This was years ago. Now that I have kids (1 and 2 years old), I was thinking that teaching would be a decent career once you got yourself established. I know at least 10 teachers personally (including 2 of my sisters) that have kids like you and they love it and they all make it work with their kids. I hear you say that it takes so much personal time, but I think that you'll find this with any other career path you choose. (I'm talking about career paths where you are making decent consistent money, not these one-off network marketing things, that are, well, fun, but the money is inconsistent). Not to sway you either way; I'm just suggesting you take a good hard look at it b4 you throw away a perfectly good career for something less satisfying.

I ended up going back to school (chemistry of all things) and now I make decent money in the medical device industry and I am currently supporting my husband and 2 children. I am not suggesting you do this--it was a long, hard, path which required tons of my personal time to do. Anything else you have to go back to school for will take a lot of personal time to do right. There aren't any shortcuts. Tutoring is a great idea for part-time work, as is teaching fitness classes (aerobics, yoga, etc), and these "party"-type gigs (pampered chef). I also teach yoga on the side-certification relatively easy to get--but would never be able to support myself or family on the meager wages. I have also done editing on the side, too, but again, the jobs were sporadic and again, the money was inconsistent. Email me if you need to chat.

How about teaching at a Kumon, Sylvan Learning Center, etc.

In the Portland, OR area the community colleges have a course that is geared towards helping students find out their aptitude and interests with the idea of selecting a second career. I considered taking this course when I retired.

Once you've chosen an area of interest, I suggest shadowing someone in that field to see if it might be a good fit.

I too am a teacher that is now a stay at home mommy. For now, this works fine for us, but I know that in the future I'll probably have to go back to work and I don't want to go back into the classroom either. A few thoughts I've had were to maybe work at a preschool, or possibly having one out of my home, as their is less demands on your time and planning as it would be part time. Tutoring was a great idea that you had that I thought about too, there are so many kids out there that could use a little help and a former teacher would be a great tutor.
Good luck to you!

Hello JF-

I'm a parent coach and over the recent past while meeting with other women business owners, I met a great women who helps people returning to the work force look at their skills in a different way so and helps them look at different career fields.

Her name is Sally Rhys and here is a link to her website:
http://www.coachingforperspective.com

I hope this helps. She may be able to help you find another career field to meet your needs.

R. Magby

1 / 3