New Baby, Breastfeeding and Weight Loss!!

Hi , everyone, I just welcomed my third Daughter 2 weeks ago, I'm sahm, and need to loose 30 pounds, I know it takes time and I'm not on my hurry but really want to start , and want to know if the slims fast drinks ate safe if you are breastfeeding ir another thing I can do to start while BF...thank you all

No. Definitely dont start dieting right now. And dont do the Slim Fast Drinks. Give it a month or two, and then, if you feel the need, join Weight Watchers. They have a special program for nursing moms.

If you want to start something now, start walking, and increasing the amounts of fruits and veggies and lean meats, and decreasing the amount of sweets.

Congratulations!

If you eat healthy - and honestly - plus keep hydrated during breastfeeding, you should have no problems. Do not forget to add in some sort of exercise 2-3 times a week and go walking around the neighborhood with the baby.

Contact a Le Leche League group and IBCLC to ask what else you can do to slowly loose the weight while breastfeeding. I think Weight Watchers has a breastfeeding program.

I would not start any kind of active dieting while you are breastfeeding, your body needs the calories to feed the baby. You can start exercising once your doctor releases you to. On the plus side, many people do lose weight from breastfeeding. It also helps your uteris go back to normal size quicker. Congrats on the new little one!

Your baby needs the fat and nutrients from you more so now than any other time and I think you should take the time to focus on that before trying to lose any weight. Nothing you do now will help any because your body isnt super human and to think that you will lose weight 2 weeks in is just nuts. Also you should be waiting until your 6 week post appt. to receive the go ahead from the doctor to resume working out. Like you said this takes time and IMO now is not the time to be worrying about this.
PS - Congrats on the new baby and I do think its great that you are breastfeeding

I know you can work on weight loss durning breastfeeding but I would suggest waiting a few weeks to start anything to allow your supply to build up. Try babyfit.com it has great resources for pregnant and nursing moms on getting and staying healthy. Congrats on your newest bundle of joy.

My OB told me with each vaginal delivery to start working out when I felt like it -- I started post-partum 2 weeks with my daughter (baby #1) with my full workout regimen (spinning, weight training, etc....just started slowly). If you had a c-section, you have to wait until the 6 week PP appt to get the go-ahead (that was baby #2 for me). As for dieting -- it isn't suggested the first 6 weeks after delivery for breastfeeding moms because it is more important to establish a great supply and breastfeeding relationship. I would suggest getting out more (walks, etc) and concentrating less on cutting calories right now! Just eat sensibly and stick to healthy foods -- breastfeeding burns an additional 500 calories a day so the weight may just start coming off without dieting right now. Good luck! I will be there myself in a month with baby #3 :)

Work out! If you aren't a member of a gym (we just go the ymca, best thing ever), then do some workout dvds at home. I drank slim fast while nursing, but really, you have to increase your daily intake of foods. So my slim fast was usually like an after breakfast, before lunch snack. Just choose healthy foods, get some excersize and you will be fine.

Congrats on your new baby!

You should talk to your doctor or her pediatrician about supplements, but I'd first start with just getting the nursing relationship going and then see how the weight goes. I found it beneficial to take walks with DD. We walked a lot (in the mall in bad weather) so not only was I burning something like 500 calories nursing, but I was also getting my muscles moving for more toning and weight loss.

1 / 3