Nephew's Baptism

My 9 month old nephew is getting baptised this sunday and I am wondering if I am suppose to buy him a gift? If so what kind? Thanks!

We got some cute personalized things from Things Remembered- like a bank, cup, phot album, etc... Or you could do a savings bond.

Hallmark stores have a section of baptism gifts. Just get him something small. I got my nephew a porcelin cross that says baptism and you hang it on the wall. It was pretty cute and simple.

When our nephew was baptized we gave him a picture frame taht had a spiritual verse and some teddy bears on it. We were not Godparents for him so i didn't get too heavy into a gift (like a Bible or stuff like that)

When we had our sons baptized, some people brought gifts and others didn't. I don't think that you are expected to or need to. If you would like to do something, I liked the bible story board books that people gave us. Or a CD of sunday school songs or lullabies. Just a couple suggestions.

For my daughter's babtism my cousin gave me a wonderful book called "God Gave Us You" by Lisa Tawn Bergen. I've given it to people also. Our local Kmart carries it in the children's book section.

I don't think it is expected, but it would be a nice gesture. Maybe a picture frame for his baptism certificate or a picture in his baptism outfit or one of those Precious Moments figurines. You could probably even buy him a little Bible with a carrying case to take to Church when he is a little older or a decorative one to keep in the nursery.

Congratulations on your nephew's baptism! I bought a savings bond for my godchildren's baptisms. You can get them at any bank for 1/2 of the face value. Ex: a $50 Savings Bond costs $25, and can be cashed in when he is older. (I believe they mature in 10 years) I have also bought baby rosaries as baptism gifts (I'm Catholic).

THANKS I need this advice too!!!

When my daughter was baptized, most of the guests did bring gifts. Most weren't big gifts, but I think everyone brought something. Though the knick knack type things are cute and I'm sure were picked out with care, there is only so much room to display them. And many are breakable, so need to go high up in baby's room. Many other people mentioned the idea, and I'd suggest going with a book. It's something useful and it's something that you won't be going overboard with, but won't be showing up empty handed either.

My side of the family has a baptismal gown that's been used for several generations now. The cap that goes with it hasn't held up as well as the gown, so we used the hankerchief cap that daddy wore for his baptism, so we combined our traditions. (It was supposed to have the ribbon clipped and given to me to use on our wedding day, but his mother didn't find it in time. But it worked out anyway. Now our daughter can use it on her wedding day.) You could check with the parents to see if they already have something traditional like this that they'd like to use. Otherwise, you could offer some of these items to start a tradition.

1 / 3