Neighbors Dog

I live on a cul-de-sac which is so great for my 4 year old. He loves to play with his friends, ride his bike etc while I don't have to worry about cars racing down the street. HOWEVER, my neighbor loves to bring he dog down as well. Which is fine, but she does not keep him on a leash and he runs all over the place. Onto peoples yards, up to the kids.. Just everywhere. She is not aggressive or dangerous, although she does stand infront of you and bark.
needless to say, my son is not a fan of this, is afraid, and makes it so he doesnt want to go out and play. I do not have a dog, but aren't they supposed to be on a leash??? The owner KNOWS he doesnt like it. Its pretty obvious by the way he acts ..running into my arms....and she just tells him that the dog just likes to play. Personally, it bothers me even when we are not outside and see the dog running all over the street and all over my yard.
Sorry, I just think its rude!!
any suggestions? Should I call animal control??

thank you all for your feedback. I do want to approach the owner (who is nice) about this, however, if I do and nothing is done, she will obviosly know who called Animal Control.
However, if I don't say any thing, she will NOT know who called because alot of my neighbors are unhappy about her roaming dog. Personally, I would think common sense would tell her to put the dog on a leash.... My son is not the only one who isn't fond of her dog. And as other stated, God forbid, he bites someone. You just dont know!! Why would she take that risk??
My son actually does like dogs, but not a dog that runs like a bat outta hell at you while riding a bike and starts barking. I'd be scared too!
I'll keep you guys updated ;) thanks!!

Another update:
I decided to leave a note in her mailbox. As I stated, most of my neighbors are irritated with her dog running loose on their property so she will not know who the letter is from. I know it sounds cowardly, but I do not like to stir up trouble, especially with neighbors. I have not done so yet, but will be this week.
I'll update again! ;)

Act now tell her to put lease on dog get other neighbors to back you you can never trust a dog. I was terrified of dogs when I was young neighbor let dogs out and they jumped me when i was 3 never forgot it. I as still not a dog lover 45 yrs later. Just because its a calm dog and other kids love him doesnt mean you have too!

I would try talking to the neighbor first. You are totally right. Dogs should be either on a leash or restricted to their own property, not free to roam. I personally love dogs, but am very respectful in that they need to be leashed for many reasons. I would be just as annoyed if my kids didn't feel comfortable playing outside because of this.

Have you spoken directly to your neighbor yet. I think it would be more honest and respectable to have a conversation with her about it and ask her to keep her dog on the leash and then, if she doesn't respond to your reasonable request, you can call animal control. Personally, I love dogs and would encourage my son to learn to become comfortable with it and to handle it appropriately, but you are perfectly entitled to feel differently and to request that the leash laws be obeyed so that you and your son may enjoy your neighborhood in comfort.

First, familiarize yourself with the town ordinances regarding dogs. There are usually rules about when a dog can be off leash and where, or under what circumstances. In my town, a dog may be off leash on its own property but cannot leave it's property unless properly leashed. In some areas, the dog can be off leash anywhere that dogs are permitted as long as there are no signs that specifically say to leash the dogs AND provided the dog is under "voice control." You should find out whether your town has a voice control clause and if so, ask the town to define voice control.

Additionally, there are usually regulations regarding how dogs may be kept outside of the home and how they should be leashed. Most people don't realize, but many towns list the maximum length of a leash that can be used for walking the dog through residential neighborhoods. Often, this maximum is 6 feet. This means that anyone who uses a retractable leash is often breaking town rules. You could use a longer leash on your own property, I use a 50 foot lead to exercise my dog on my property because we do not have a fence and she has poor recall.

First find out if your neighbor is breaking a rule, and if so, which rules she is breaking. I would then approach my neighbor with constructive ideas on how everyone can win in the neighborhood, but explain that your child is afraid of dogs and you would prefer that she confine her dog, when it is offleash, to her own property, and properly leash the dog when he leaves the property.

She may not cooperate. In a case like that, if the dog approaches your child on your property, you can call animal control. I have had to do it and my neighbor was cited, but she had four dogs, off leash, who consistently left her property to aggressively approach my dogs. The owners were hostile to my requests to properly confine the dogs and one day three of the dogs, the large ones, charged at my dogs across the street, off their property, in front of witnesses. I called AC and the neighbors were cited. Luckily no one was hurt. I don't have a lot of patience for people who falunt laws intended to protect public safety. "my dog is not aggressive" "He just wants to play" "He's friendly" are all really bad excuses for poor management of pets. Your dog may be friendly, but my dog isn't or my child is frightened. You are well within your rights to politely but firmly explain that you would be more comfortable if the dog were leashed.

I would ask the neighbor to control her animal. Then if she doesnt comply call animal control. I am an animal lover, but children are far more important than animals. There is no reason to have your son running from a dog of any size. The owner MUST respect your wishes and control her pet.

I just read your response to this post and I dont know why you are worried that your neighbor will know you called animal control. But if thats the case then call and have this situation ended asap, before a child is hurt.

Have you asked them to keep their dog on leash? I would. Either that or keep them off your property. I would do that before calling animal control. I have 2 dogs and I would appreciate the heads up.

I remember being a little girl and being afraid of our neighbors dog. I now have NO fear of dogs at all... my trick I learned as a little girl that holds true is to IGNORE the dog and pretend it isn't even there. I was only around 6yrs old, but remember my neighbor holding the HUGE pointer back as it barked and pulled on its leash. I walked right up to my neighbor's kids, standing tall and mentally telling myself the dog "wasn't there" and IGNORED the dog and it WORKED!

Different towns have different leash laws. I have a dog and in our town you do not have to have your dog on a leash if the dog is on their own property with someone there with it. I would not call animal control, that would just cause bad blood with your neighbor. I would first find out what the leash law in your town is then I would speak to your neighbor nicely and tell her that your son is afraid of the dog and does not want to be outside when the dog is. You could also inform her of the leash law what ever it is and tell her that if things don't change you might have to take it to another level and inform animal control. She probably just doesn't realize how you and your son really feel and once she is informed of this things will change. I know as a dog owner if someone just called animal control on me and my dog for being out in the yard without speaking to me first I would be very angry and upset. Are there any other neighbors that feel the same as you. If there are you might all want to speak to her together. I hope this helps you and good luck.

I am a dog owner and my guy is never outside without a leash. I have one that is 30 ft long that I use when we're hiking so he has a lot of run room. Unfortunately a lot of people don't realize that their dog isn't welcome everywhere. Several years ago I was knocked over from behind by a friendly dog who then grabbed the sleeve of my coat and dragged me 10 ft as the owner said "Oh he's just playing."

I would talk to the owner directly saying something like 'While I know your dog wouldn't intentionally hurt my child I need you to understand that my son is afraid. I'd like for you to put him on a leash so that he's not running all over my yard and running up to my son.' Be direct but be firm. If she wants to run her dog then she needs to fence her yard, take him to a dog park, or take him out in the woods for a romp. You are not unreasonable to request that her dog be leashed when out of it's own yard.

If the dog comes onto your property, you are within your rights to say something to the neighbor and she has no right to be upset or angry. I think it's courteous to tell you neighbor that you are not okay with the dog being on your property and barking at your son so that he does not want to go out and play in his own yard, rather than just calling animal control. Either way, though, I would do something. You paid a lot for your house and your child should not be scared to play outside or be chased by/barked at by a dog

1 / 3