Neighbor Is Throwing Dog Poop over the Fence

I need some advice. A couple of months ago we erected a playset for our two small children in the backyard, and our rear neighbor asked if we could move it because it would invade his privacy (never mind the multitude of holes in the fence that enable one to practically see right through it). Taking his point of view into consideration, we repositioned the playset and moved it as far from the fence as we could without having to spend tons of money to level out the yard. Since then my husband and I have noticed foreign dog poop in our yard. We do have a dog, but her poop is very distinct due to a prescription diet and we regularly scoop it. We have suspected that the rear neighbors have been throwing their dog's feces over the privacy fence into our yard. We have found the poop in a remote corner of the yard (only accessible to this neighbor). There is no way another dog is getting into the yard and scattering it's poop (it's never in a pile), let alone pooping in the tree (we actually found it hanging in the tree this week). We have only been in this house a year, and we don't know these neighbors very well. We want to be as diplomatic as possible, but we want it to stop now. I have two very curious toddlers that love to pick up stuff in the yard. How do you suggest we handle this? Thank you so much!

So we knew them well enough to know that their children are grown and no longer live at home, and their dog is a black lab mix. We contacted the HOA and were advised that disputes of the sort are to handle amongst neighbors! Anyway, we tried to visit them at their home but no one answered the door. We knew they were there because all the vehicles were in the drive. So we just assumed that they were in the backyard so we went back home and took the boys out to play. She was outside and we asked if she could get her husband as well. She was very friendly and went to get him. We were trying to give them the benefit of the doubt and asked (although we already knew the answer) if they had a yard service that was tending their yard. He said, "No." So we simply asked if they knew how the CLUMPS of black dog hair (our furry one is white) and poo kept ending up in our yard even our tree. He said he could explain the hair. He indicated that it came out of the pool and he hangs his pool brush there. (Whatever)! But he had NO IDEA of how the poop got into our yard. He quickly changed the subject to something else. We reiterated that we knew it wasn't our dog's poop, and we wanted it to stop. He said he would try to do a better job of keeping the dog hair out of the yard. It was very civil and no one got loud. The kids were right there so they were reminded of just how little they are. Anway, that was two weeks ago and we haven't found anymore in the yard. If it happens again, we'll deal with it again.

I know it will be awkward, but I think you need to go over there and ask them about it.

It might be as innocent as their teenager throwing it over the fence to get out of really cleaning it.

I think the only way to get it to stop is to bring it to their attention.

Do they have kids? It might be the kids' job and they aren't doing it right. I would gently confront the neighbor. Maybe just say: Hey I noticed that dog poop is being spread out in that corner of my yard. Would you have any idea how that could be happening? It's so weird! Then, he will deny it but probably stop doing it. Or, fess up and apologize. If it continues after that, then I would try and get it on video tape - it actually being tossed into the yard. My camera will do a night vision thing. Then, you can confront him about it again. If he denies it, then say that someone is doing it and show him the tape. Then, if it continues, you can put up with it (I would toss it back) or call code compliance and get their help/advice.

why not just go over and inform them what you know, and ask if they would stop doing what they are doing because you have 2 little ones that you would not like to step in there dogs poo or any poo for that matter.Or maybe you should put a camera facing the fence and catch it on film and if they deny it you'll have proof.
Its gross and disrespectful of them to be doing this. good-luck.

Is there any way you could set up a video camera? If you could catch the evidence on video.. You have a better chance of doing something legally about it.. Even with poop in the tree, they could deny it.. They could say that someone else is doing this..

The other way to approach them is to ask if they have a poop clean up service.. If they do, you could say that you suspect they may be flipping it over the fence and you are going to set up a surveillance video camera..

If they say no, tell them you are concerned that someone in the neighborhood is vandalizing yards with dog poop and you are going to set up a surveillance video camera so you can give the info to the police.

Expensive but also a good safty thing is a camera. When caught on film take it to the police. This will also work for keeping an eye on who comes into the yard for the safty of your family and property.

Firstly, how arrogant of the neighbor to even suggest you move the swingset. It's your yard, not his, you should put the set wherever you like. Secondly, the best thing I'd try to do is set up a video camera to try & catch who's throwing the poo. Surveillance cameras can be put up high to see into the neighbor's yard which would show them on camera. They now sell small ones at WalMart but unsure of their quality. You may wanna research online or just use a reg. camera if that's all you can do but it's important to show WHO on camera, not just the poo going over the fence, that way there's no denying it. They can just say it's someone else if it doesn't show who it is. If it IS the neighbor, you have proof, you can then go to the neighbor & tell them that you have proof of them throwing poop over the fence, they must come over & clean it up & if they refuse or do it again, tell them you'll file a complaint against them. I always try to have proof in my hand before confronting someone who's doing wrong by me. Good luck!!

assuming your neighbors dont have chrilden or grand kids that could possibaly be doing this. I would have a conversation with them. Just as they asked you to move your play yard. You can get a out door viedo camera and mount it perhaps in a tree. Discuise it as a bird house or something simular. Actually record them throwing the poop. You can use it for edvidence for the police. I would think this would be considered vandilsium. Call your local police station and ask some questions of what exactly you should do. sorry for all my miss spellings!!! i do better after coffee!

Have you considered checking out the price of renting a motion detector camera for a month and installing it near that corner? They obviously are doing this at night when it can't be seen, but a camera will catch it, then you would have proof enough to report it to the authorities. With small children, you certainly don't need this sort of thing happening.

1 / 3