Needing Suggestions for Meal Plan for My 9 Month Old.

Hi!! I have a 9 month old little boy that loves to eat :) He is on the slender side, his weight being in the 50% while his height is in the 95%. My concern is about what kind of meals he should have during the day, how many bottles, what order they should come in, and how much I should be feeding him. His current meal plan is as follows:

7:30am ~ Wake up ~he has about 3oz of milk in sippy cup (not formula) with handful of cheerios and a biter biscuit

10:00am ~ about a cup of oatmeal with jar fruits mixed in and 2oz of juice
11:00am ~ nap

2:00pm ~ 8oz of formula

2pm-4pm ~ apple, plum or other fruit slices he scrapes bits off with his teeth, plus a little of anything I might be eating for lunch
4:00pm ~ nap

5:30pm ~ dinner: half jar of 3rd foods complete dinner (ex - spaghetti, chicken & veggies) half jar of 3rd foods fruit. 2oz of juice

6-8pm ~ a little of anything his father and I eat

8:30pm ~ 8oz bottle

9:00pm ~ bedtime

around 3am ~ 8oz bottle

I'm wondering if this is appropriate for him, and if anyone has any suggestions on how I could make his diet more complete. I want to be sure I am giving my son everything he needs to be healthy and happy. Any comments are much appreciated!!! :)

Just for everyone who is asking... a few months ago, Preston would not sleep through the night. He would wake about every 2 hours, and would scream if we didn't put him in the bed with us. I breastfed him till he was about 5 months old, and during this time, his night feedings would be in the bed with me. He became VERY used to this. We eventually got him sleeping in his crib all night, but he would wake up once. If I gave him a bottle, he'd eat it voraciously, then fall asleep, in his crib. So, when he wakes up during the night, I make him a bottle, so he'll fall back to sleep. If I don't, he'll keep us up all night. But, no, I do not wake him up. If we get lucky, and he sleeps all night, we ALL sleep all night :) :) :) Preston currently weighs 19lbs 2oz, and is 29 1/4 inches tall

P.S.~ Thank you all for the information and suggestions. I appreciate you taking the time to help us. This website is great!

Hi M..
I just wanted to tell you that it seems to me that you have Preston on a wonderful schedule and his eating habits sound great. I wish my one year old would eat like that. I would say that as long as he stays in the 50% for weight and doesn't seem like he is starving, I would continue on with what you are doing. And don't feel bad about the 3 am feeding. My son still wakes up at least once on most nights just to have a bottle and if I don't give it to him, then mommy isn't sleeping anymore! =)

M.,
You might want to try more veggies. They have more nutrients to help in the growth process than fruit. the schedule sounds great, I would suggest for lunch doing squash, broccoli, and maybe greenbeans. But it seems like you are feeding him well and that he is on a good schedule.

First of all M., relax your meal plan is just fine. You are doing a great job!!!
However, if ya want to save yourself some money, then don't buy the jarred or canned baby foods. If you are having spaghetti for dinner, chop it up small enough for Preston, if you are having meat loaf or chicken, then cut it up and let him try it. Bottles usually are given every 2-4 hours.
You are doing fine, if he is happy and the doctor doesn't think he needs to eat more then keep allowing him to eat on the same schedule you have him on. It sounds like you have planned your day in a very organized way and as long as he is used to it then allow yourself to relax and enjoy being a mom, you are doing great!

I'm a new mom too so I don't know all the do's and don'ts but I thought I'd share some info that I got from our pediatrician when I bombarded him with feeding questions about my 8 month old. Most important he said we tend to over analyze what, how much, and when to feed our babies. But then he told me not to feed Marissa cow's milk until she's at least a year. That she never needs juice unless she is sick and dehydrated. He said otherwise juice has a lot of sugar and not much nutritional value. Marissa gets about a cup of oatmeal made with formula for breakfast, 1 to 2 jars of veggies plus 1/2 to 1 jar of fruit for lunch and dinner. I'm filling in the gaps with breastmilk - but if I weren't nursing I'd use formula. Marissa is in the 95% for height and 85% for weight and very, very active.
I hope this helps some,

Hi M. i would not give him milk until 12 months..As far as him waking up at 3am is he waking up or are you waking him up? You didn't say how much he weighted? What has your Dr. said about this? I hope this helps ..

Hi M. - I have a 9 month old daughter who enjoys eating as well:) She currently weighs 20 lbs and is 28 inches tall...

Her eating schedule seems large compared to your sons, but I thought I would share it with you. She is now crawling everywhere and her weight seems to have leveled out!

She wakes up around 7ish -- we usually have breakfast by 7:30

Breakfast - fruit(banana, nectarine, peach, etc.) cut up in small pieces that she feeds herself, oatmeal (usually we use 3TBSP of formula - I am not sure what that measures out to be once we add the oatmeal

between 9 and 10 -- 4 1/2oz bottle of formula

Lunch - 3rd foods meat with veggies (no more than half the jar usually), fruit that has been cut up that she feeds herself, and usually something else like some bread or a little bit of yogurt or extra veggies or baby fruit

between 3 and 4 -- 4 1/2oz bottle of formula

Dinner - Rice or Mixed cereal (measured same as before), fruit (same as before), and 3rd food veggies (I feed her as much as she will eat - I don't measure it out - sometimes it is the whole jar sometimes it is half, etc.

between 7 and 8 - 4 1/2 oz bottle of formula

We offer her juice at breakfast and dinner and water at lunch

I am no expert, but looking at his daily schedule - I would say if he would eat more during the day you might be able to do away with the night time feeding. I am sure you would love the sleep!

Hope this helps!

At nine months, my son had already refused to eat any baby food at all. so we had to feed him what we were eating. we would give him cooked carrots, peas, green beans, any kind of beans that were soft enough, cooked potatoes, rice, mashed potatoes, and tiny pieces of meat. he refused to let us feed him, so we just put it all on his high chair tray and he feeds himself! we also give him little pineapple tidbits, pear and peach chunks, and bananas if he will eat them. about the only thing he will let us feed him is yogart. he does all the other by himself. for breakfast scrambled eggs and tiny pieces of toast are wonderful. snacks we give him organic cheese crackers or graham crackers. he still gets 4 to 5 four to six ounce bottles of formula per day.

after all of this food and the bottles each day, he is still very thin. the doctor said this is good, because he is not over weight. they just need lots of carbohydrates since they are so active.

i hope all of this helps you some.

When my daughter's weight gain slowed a little, the doctor suggested cooking some of her foods with some butter and adding cheese to her foods. She already at cheddar cheese cut into small pieces and loved it. You might want to add some whole grain pasta and yogurt to his diet. Another thing that has been a big hit for us is whole milk yogurt. Oh, another thing is tofu, sliced into small bites. I think that a general rule of thumb for meals is: 2 fruit/vegetable, 1 meat or meat substitute (cheese, tofu, etc), 1 dairy PLUS milk/formula to drink. If you are interested, I've used the book, Super Baby Food by Ruth Yaron as a guide. I make my daughter's food which is way simpler than it sounds---this book has a lot of good, practicle pointers about the baby's diet! It is fantastic that Preston is eating stuff from his parent's meals! It sounds like you are doing great!!

Hi M..

I think it sounds like you are doing a wonderful job. I also have a 9 month old boy, and eating is an issue for us. He refuses his baby cereals, even with fruit mixed in, and won't eat any jar food either. He wants only grown up food. So I think it sounds like you're doing great. And you're lucky your son is taking naps. My baby wakes up as soon as I put him down, he only wants to sleep in mama's arms. Sigh.

1 / 3