Need Vacation Ideas

I would like to take a family vacation this year. My husband is dying to go somewhere. I'm so hesitant to travel because I still have a son that naps twice a day and I'm dreading all of the extra "gear" we would have to take with us! Any family friendly suggestions for a family with a 16 month old??

A friend of the family has a house on Lake LBJ, north of Austin. The house is a dump but we have sucha great time because we are basically at home but away. There are tons of homes to rent on the lake (literally - there are little "arms" of the lake so it is lake front) and if you get a group with other kiddos it's a blast. We BBQ, play washers, take the boat out. We take a blow up pool and that's what the little ones play in.

Have fun!

We had a lot of fun last year in Branson, MO. If you ever make it that way, you must stop in Springfield, MO (30 miles before Branson) and eat at Lambert's Cafe - Home of the Throwed Roll. You'll never have a better and more exciting time eating :-)

Instead of a traditional hotel - try renting a condo or house - some offer cribs of pack-n-plays and high chairs, it cuts down on some of the packing. You can find rentals by owner at www.VRBO.com or vacationrentals.com to name a few. Also, in the beach resort areas (North Carolina, S. Carolina, etc.) there are companies that will rent you the items you need - strollers, etc.

I traveled with our daughter when she was 5 weeks old to visit family - I UPS'd everything to myself c/o my brother so I wouldn't have to travel with it, then UPS'd it back. A little extreme and costly maybe, but it worked for me at the time.

follow Nike's advice and Just Do It! i am a single Mom of a delightful 20 month old girl and due to my work and family, we've been traveling since she was 2 months old. she loves to experience new places and i really believe it will help prepare her for the grown up world. sure, it's scary and lots of work to plan properly adn go, but it's well worth it. our first road trip we drove from austin to Port Aransas, she loved the beach. then we drove to fredricksburg and stayed over night in a B&B. just make sure where you go has kitehenette so you can prepare meals. i always opt for a balcony or porch so i can sit outside and feel like I am getting away while she sleeps - she still takes 2 naps a day also. Go enjoy!

We went to Destin, FL last year. My son was 18 months. We got a condo on the beach and we could go upstairs at anytime. They had a indoor pool, outdoor pool and it was right on the beach. We went with another couple and their son, and had a blast. We rented a two bedroom condo with a kitchen and went to Walmart for our groceries.

We swore to make it a yearly family tradition!!

With three young children we don't do much vacationing right now, but I did want to mention that most hotels will provide a playpen/port-a-crib free of charge. Just ask when you make a reservation. That is one large item you can leave at home! Your little one will probably love to explore any new place you go too!

In my experience, the location isn't as important as the lodgings. You do not want to be stuck in a hotel, trying to schedule naps around room cleaning, or be stuck going to bed at the same time as your baby. (My friends recently spent their vacation evenings in Chicago drinking cocktails and talking in the hallway outside their room, so as not to wake their baby.)

We have twice used various "Vacation Rentals Online" sites to find apartments to rent while on vacation. We just got back from a little vacation to Boston last week, where we rented a 2 bedroom brownstone in the South End for 5 days. The average cost was less than a hotel room, and we were able to get groceries, milk, etc. You can find rental properties like this in almost all major cities and vacation destinations.

One word of caution: most of these places are not set up to be "baby safe" (although neither is a hotel room.) We had to keep a close eye on our guy throughout our stay, but it was still worth it for the privacy and comfort.

You will have lots of "gear" - no doubt about it. But, once you get settled in it will not be so bad.

P.S. Boston was great - the aquarium and children's museum were a hit! We used a service to get a babysitter one night as well. Fun for all!

Really quick -

Can't live without when traveling gear -
Backpack carrier - awesome if hubby is with! You can actually move in, around and fast.
small umbrella stroller - super cheap one (sometimes free with purchase at larger baby stores) so you won't cry if it gets lost or damaged
baby food grinder/mill - to grind up adult food when baby food options are limited
white noise maker - to drown out talking or other hotel noises.

Embassy Suites hotels or similar - pool, cocktail hour on site, usually have movies for kids, free breakfast that is really good.

You can always buy more diapers, wipes, sunscreen, food so I always try not to take up too much space with those.

Cabin rentals are great, state parks with pools/lakes and walking or easy hiking trails. We traveled to CO, MN, and more with little ones. Aquariums, children's museums, zoos, pools/lakes and parks were the biggest winners for us.

I read that the mountains in Tennessee have great family friendly rentals and activities.

Have fun!

the beach is always a great place for a family. you can go swimming in the ocean or in a pool(if you stay at a hotel/resort or even condos have pools), play on the beach and usually they have zoos and amusement parks nearby. we go to destin, florida almost every year and absolutely love it. alot of places will have a few of the things you need for the little ones, like the pack n plays and high chairs. and we drive, which is better because you can take what you want.

hope you have a great vacation!

Have fun!

1 / 3