Need Toy for 3 Year Old with ADHD

Hello,

I have a 3 year old nephew with ADHD. I am trying to find a Christmas gift for him, but I'm not coming up with any good ideas. His Mom wants me to get him the clipo table (kind of like bristle blocks) but I think that is too young for him. He can't sit still long so board games are out. Please help! I have a $40 budget.
Thanks

3 years old don't usually play board games. Clipo is perfect. I have an ADHA child and I never buy him "different" toys. Boys like boy toys. All boys do. They love to build things and then destroy them. ADHD children are usually very creative and very intelligent. Happy shopping.

GEARATION...is the name of a great toy that i think would be perfect. It is a board that has one spinning wheel in the middle( it runs on batteries) and you add pieces to the center piece and they spin...he can keep adding the wheels and it is fun to see all the spinning wheels with different colors. He can create a new spinning design each time, it's very stimulating. I think it is just under $40.

I tend to think the Clipo table would be good for him. My 17 month old granddaughter has it and loves it, and my 4 year old grandson also loves playing with it.

I have worked with many ADD kids they are no different then other little boys. I would say blocks would be a good idea. I have never met a child diagnosed at three years old. I know of some that have signs of possible ADD. I would question a doctor that would label a three year old. Have his thyroid checked somtimes little ones have overactive thyroids at three and appear to have signs of ADD. Or he may just be special like me. I have it.

Toys with lots of play value go a lot farther than "educational toys" or most of what is in the store nowadays. Every Christmas and birthday we groan when my mother in law spends a lot of money on vtech learning toys or things that you hook up to the tv, or other things that my active boys just end up breaking. However, blocks (the wooden kind with letters on them - often only available at Christmas time) or blocks with different shapes, or big cardboard blocks, or lincoln logs or tinker toys, all have lots of play value, and they can become anything with the child's imagination. An action figure is only ever going to be that action figure, and if you watch, kids who get lots of very specific toys like that end up bored by the day after Christmas, and overwhelmed with so many choices. My kids have spent hundreds of hours playing with blocks and non toys around the house (a favorite right now is elastic they raided from my sewing room). They have the most amazing imaginations and can entertain themselves for hours.

If he has a lot of energy how about on of those bouncy balls that has a handle on it. The child sits on it, holds onto the handle and bounces around. Might help him burn of some energy.

If you like to catalog shop 2 catalogs that I LOVE that have unique toys are www.hearthsong.com and www.magiccabin.com. Even if you don't buy from them it would give you some great ideas! Good luck!

Hi A.! I think you should take his mom's advice and get him the Clipo table. She mentioned it for reasons I'm sure. Don't stress yourself out. I don't think that is too young for him either. Why we put age limits on toys is beyond me. I'm 31 and still love to get down and play with 12 month toys!
Enjoy the holidays! :)

hi i dont recommend the clippo table the clippo blocks are too hard to get ot stack together my son got this for his birthday and hes 3 we returned this we got him a v motion also if he has adhs means hes hyper so try the playskool dance cam and there on sale at toys r us right now hope this helped

not sure what adhd has to do with this but cars all kids and boys love cars! also legos lincon logs or yes the bristle blocks would bee fun!

Good Luck! my daughter is ADHD, and she is now 9, but the one thing that I bought her when she was younger that she still uses today is one of those tables you see at the Dr's offices....it has the beads that you push around the metal loops....I hope you understand what I am trying to explain. It is something though that she can move and keep occupied with. The one I got my daughter was about $25 and believe it or not I got it in the ABC Catelog. I saw one last year, so maybe that would be a great place to start. If you don't know what I mean, feel free to reply and I will try to explain it better, but if you go to a Dr's office or even the emergency room, you will see that kids of all ages play with it. I really do wish you good luck and happy shopping!!! HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

1 / 3