Need to Purchase a New Car seat...what Do You Suggest?

My baby, Emma, is no longer a baby and we are getting ready to make the transition from infant carrier to "big girl" car seat. I'm overwhelmed with all the choices and I understand that the most expensive does not always mean it is the best or the safest.
I'm looking for suggestions...Which car seat do you prefer? If you were buying a new car seat today, which one would you get?
Thanks for your help!!

Another big fan of the Britax! We went with the Decathalon and are thrilled with it. It's one step bigger than the Marathon, but truthfully either one you go with you will be happy. My husband has the Eddie Bauer carseat in his car and it's MUCH less quality than the Britax! Good luck!!

I have two Britax seats and am very happy with the safety ratings as well as the ease of installation and comfort.

We have a Britax Boulevard and LOVE it!!!! It rear faces up to 35 lbs. and has side impact protection :)

http://www.britaxusa.com/products/product_detail.aspx?ID=1

I would suggest a Triumph or one of the Britax models (Marathon or Boulevard) . We used a Triumph and loved it. Now it lasts even longer than when we purchased it, because the maximum weight has been extended. Our Triumph went up to 40 pounds. Then we went on an endless internet search for finding a booster seat.

Keep you little darling rear facing as long as possible. It is the safest way to travel for children. Many of the newer seats allow you to keep infants and toddlers rear facing until they are 35 pounds.

Britax seats are wonderful. They are expensive, but do go on sale (and I mean REALLY on sale) twice a year (I believe it is February and September). Expensive, but protect your child.

When our son outgrew his Triumph, we wanted a 5 pt harness for as long as possible. We looked at the vehicles we drive (one LATCH, one without LATCH), one roomy, one not. We ended up getting a Britax Regent (40-85 pounds) for our LATCH vehicle, and a Graco Nautilus for the other (a convertible from a 5-pt harness (up to 65 pounds) to a booster, to a backless booster).

There are websites were you can consult with certified carseat installers. Describe your vehicles, you child's height and weight, features you are looking for, and they will give you suggestions. I will say, that most of them personally used (for an older child) Britax.

Before you put out any money, contact your local police department. There is someone there certified in the installation & they will recommend the best one for your child's age. I scheduled a date & the officer installed it for me on the spot.

The Britax Marathon has a 5-point harness and is padded for side impact. It is more expensive but goes up to higher weight limit. This is a great car seat from a safety perspective. The downfall is that it takes up some major real estate in your car.

It can be a challenge to keep your older child content in using this carseat. My daughter is 4 y.o. and she sees that many of her friends are just using a booster with the car seat belt. She is always asking me to switch her carseat to one of these. I actually did but then saw the video at this link: http://youtube.com/watch?v=azgBhZfcqaQ and switched it back.

So this doesn't answer your question...but it seems like you received some really helpful input from the other moms...
I was just wondering where you moved to and from. We are going to be moving from Elgin to Morrison (about 2 hours west and a little south). Any advice and/or tips? We're very excited as my in-laws moved out there and have loved it. Every time we visit...I think how nice it would be to live in a place that appears to be more about people and less about the hustle and bustle of "keeping up with the Jones'".
You can email me directly, if you want
K. (____@____.com)

We have a Britax and Evenflo for our Emma...hands down, the Britax is SO much easier to use on a day-to-day basis. For instance when the weather is fluctuating and one day there is a winter coat, the next it's just a long-sleeve tee, it is easy to adjust the straps on the Britax. I just can't do it very well with the Evenflo. So what it's come down to is that the Britax goes with my car, and the Evenflo goes with my hubby. :)

It costs a little more but I feel I am buckling in my daughter better, and that's worth it to me.

Hands down ~ the Evenflo Triumph. We tried putting our daughter in both Britax models at the store and because she is tall she looked like she would outgrow it sooner than the Triumph. We did a lot of research and both Britax and the Triumph were both rated well, but Triumph is less expensive and just as good. I know a lot of people with Triumphs who are extremely happy with them.

We love the Britax Marathon. It is expensive, but it's worth it. It has great ratings and my 18 month twins look very comfortable in them. It goes up to 65 lbs, and not only 40 lbs, like most carseats. You can use it rear facing till your daughter is 30 lbs (it's worth leaving them rear facing as long as you can).

1 / 3