Need to Know Approx Cost of Childcare in Area

My husband and I are going to be moving to the KC area, more specifically (probably) the Shawnee or Olathe area, and I am looking to see what the costs run for childcare in the area. I would like to place my two children, ages 2 and 3, in a Christian-based childcare setting, part-time, 5 days a week. Does anyone have any suggestions on places to call, and what kind of prices I can expect to pay? Thanks so much.

Hi C. ,
My children go to Special Beginnings and we love it. We to go the one in Lenexa KS (between Shawnee and Olathe) ###-###-#### but they have another location in Olathe ###-###-####). They have classes for children from 6wks to Kindergarte- afterschool. It's a Christian based school but not overly religious for non-Christians. For two years old - Toddler I is $200/week ($43/day), Toddler II is $180/week ($39/day) and for 3 years old (pre-3) is $160/week or $35/day. The classes fill up pretty fast. The teachers are supernice. My children adjusted well from a full time nanny at home to full time daycare and I think it's all about how comfortable they are with their teachers. Good luck.

I do not know of any places to suggest. As far as cost...we live on the Missouri side of KC in the Raytown area. I stay at home and babysit a friend of mine's children. I charge $125 per week for each child full time. My friends say that compared to daycare centers that is really cheap. I am not sure about part time care at centers. That might be hard to find unless you find a preschool (but that is probably only for during the school year). Sorry I am not much help. Best of luck with the move. C.

I don't know what the going rate is in Johnson County, but I pay $185 for my 18 month old and $120 for my four year old per week in Kansas City, MO. I would suspect it is probably a little higher in JOCO.

My son goes to an in-home daycare in Olathe and she is fabulous. She charges $175 per week for full time and $5.00 an hour for part time. She has been in the business for 25 years. If you want more information let me know. I can say that in-home daycare will be less in cost then centers. Good Luck!

C.:

I pay $45 per (full day) for my son's in-home provider. That includes his diapers, lunch and snack. Check out the Family Conservancy, for good providers.
Also, if you are looking for a house, my husband is a mortgage broker. Just an fyi.

A.

C.--
I'm a licensed daycare provider located in Prairie Village. When I first started out doing this, I based my rates on other providers I'd heard of. However, I decided to change it to hourly. I charge $5 per hour. I've never had a family want me to watch two children, but was always prepared to offer a discount for that. All 3 of the little girls I watch are part-time. (2 are for 2 days a week and one is 4 days a week, 5 hours a day) All of the moms had mentioned that they had a hard time finding a provider that offered rates based on actual hours, and not a full week. I would suggest calling daycare connections, they'll (for free) provide you with a list of providers that meet your criteria. If nothing else, keep me in mind when you move. I might be able to help or know of someone who could. Good luck!

Hey, C., so your husband got the job! Great news. I'm afraid I can't help you with Christian-based childcare. Pretty much all of the ones I called were either full-time only, or were very limited part-time only--like 2 days a week only, on their schedule. That just didn't work for me, so I put Stuart into a hospital-based care center, Bright Horizons. They're connected to St. Joseph Hospital as their employee child care. However, they usually have openings for "community" kids, and Stuart loves them. They're only $42 per day for him, and they do half-days if you like, for half rate. They provide some great programming. Of course, they're not close to western Johnson County, so you may find better care closer. Good luck!

I am a childcare provider. My rate is 175.00 weekly for infant to potty trained.

130.00 for toddler to Pre-k w/ Preschool lessons taught.

I am also offering after school care for those in my school district.

You can always visit www.daycareresource.com/farahslittleangels.html

Take Care,
F. M.

1 / 3