Need to Dry up Mucous - Any Suggestion?

Hi mommas,

Has anyone ever given Benedryl to their kiddo to dry up mucous from a cold? My son is a faucet & he is coughing & choking all night long on his runny nose.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

I've not used Benedryl, it makes my kids hyper. The better choice is the children's version of non-drowsy Guaifenesin (Mucinex). You can get a generic brand almost anywhere now that works just as well as the Mucinex brand. It dries out the mucus super fast and the kids feel better.

Good luck, sick kids are no fun.

i doubt this would help. Benedryl is an antihistamine, meant to dry up kids' sinuses when they run due to allergies. I don't think it would solve anything with a cold, which is caused by virus. Plus it makes the kids so groggy. Ask the pediatrician what's most likely to help. i would think over the counter cold medicine rather than Benadryl.

Good luck, sick kids are no fun.

Our ENT recommended a stronger saline spray. We use ENT SOL. You can get it at a drugstore but not all have it so I would call in advance. It is just a higher solution of saline to dry them out more. We only use it before naps and bedtime but it works great. Benadryl gives my kids nightterrors.

There is also Children's Claritin... it is a liquid. But I forget the age specifications on it.
But it does NOT make a child drowsy. Like Benadryl.

But if he is sick, these Antihistimines may not work to "dry" it up. It does not always work for me, as an adult... to dry it up.

Check with your Pediatrician... it depends how old your child is.

All the best,
Susan

I would not use any of that stuff. Try a good honey at night before bed. The mucous is needed to bring up stuff from the lungs. If you dry it up that process will stop and the body will not heal itself as well the next time.And makes the germs stay in the lungs! Have him breathe through his nose as much as possible among many other things that will bring up the mucous and clear the lungs and congestion which is really inflammation.

I put my son in the tub with Vick Vapor bath and let him play it helps with the breathing and it also help the mucus flow faster. I find it is always better to get it out
of the system.

the say no benedryl or meds before age 4. let the cold run its natural course and expect 2 weeks of coughing/sniffing. run humidifier, put vicks on feet. how old is your son? if he's older, they you can give him stuff.

Like so many of the Moms said, you really don't want to dry him up even though it is awful to be dealing with a majory runny nose! When you use a drying agent like Sudafed it can lead to sinus infections and once they get one they are more prone to get them with any cold :( Children's cold medicines can also have this effect and can lead to ear infections because nothing is draining! The vapor suggestions and using the hot shower steam are your best and safest bet!

L.,
I use the Shaklee children's products. You can find them at http://www.shaklee.net/healthforlife
Using the children's vitamins will help prevent the colds. Alfalfa and Defend and Resist ( if he is old enough to take D&R) are great for recovering from upper respiratory illnesses. When my boys were small, I used a mortal and pistal to grind them up and put them in a little juice.
V.

Updated

L.,
V.

1 / 3