Need Support for Bipolar in the Family

My husband was diagnosed with Bipolar disorder almost 3 years ago. It has basically torn our family apart, as we have separated for the second time and last! However, I still have to see him frequently because of the kids. We have try to keep our relationship on a friendly basis for the sake of the kids, but I am completely burdened by his illness...he won't stay on his meds, gets hospitalized and loses jobs. I have searched for a support group for myself, but all I can find are support groups for the person with the diagnosis. Is there anyone else out there married to someone who is Bipolar and are you aware of any local support groups for family members?

I don't know of any support groups or anything, but I can understand what you're going through.

My mother has been suffering from bipolar disorder for years, and refuses to take any kind of medication because she doesn't think she needs it. Instead, she just self medicates with alcohol. Then she stopped eating, and now it's to the point that she can't walk anymore, and she's lost the use of her hands.

I had a daughter 2 1/2 months ago, and I have been staying home to take care of both of them. Once again, I understand what's going on, and if you ever need to talk, I'm here.

Kathy,

Contact the local group for NAMI - National Assoc, for the Mentally Ill. They have great support groups for family members. My sister is schizophrenic and they have helped us tremendously.

A.

Cathy,

My name is N. Tsai and I am the Director for NAMICCO (The National Alliance On Mental Illness Collin County. We do offer support goups for family members and for consumers. We also offer classes and education on MI as well as monthly meeting where there are members in your situation that get together to support one another. You can contact me at ###-###-#### and I could give you further information. I have seen many people in your situation and there is hope. I also know first hand what living with MI is like as both of my parents were MI. We are here to help. N.

Call 211- it is the United Way Help Line and tell them what you need and where you live and they can give you numbers to several places. Some may be individual counselors, some may be support groups. Don't be afraid to go to an individual counselor, they may know of support groups or be willing to start one. Bipolar can be severly hard on familys and friends. I had a childhood friend for the past 10 years who was bipolar and I saw her hurt so many people during her manic stages. The last time she went off on me and it ended our friendship.

1 / 3