Need Some New Hairstyles for My Daughter

I am loooking for some new ideas for doing my almost 4 year old's hair. She hates having her hair done, but I thought if we did something new it might help. I was looking for ideas online, but it seems like everything is an advertisement to buy braiding books or buy something. Her hair is just below shoulder length, straight and somewhat thick.

My daughter is 9 and she has always hated to have her hair done! I tried everything from hair bands to braids to barrettes. What I started to do is ask her what I can do with her hair, when she was 4 I would ask her how many braids she wanted. SHe was conviced that with the right amount of braids she could just off the chair and fly! I also let her pick out her own hair ties etc. One other thing I noticed is that since I always wear my hair down she did not understand why I wanted to do her hair. I have had to start braiding my hair or wearing it up more. Just today she decided to get it cut into a short bob at the chin!

A friend of mine had a daughter with really thick long hair. She wears it in different pony tails, with different colored bands. If they quarter her hair or put it into 6ths, it's much easier to deal with. Sometimes they pull the ponytail only part way through the last time and somtimes they connect the pony's together. It really keeps her hair under control and is easy to do. She's 9 and can do her hair all alone now.

Good luck! Just don't cut if off like my mom did. I got really tired of people thinking I was a boy that summer! (It was the '70's and my hair was shorter than my brothers!)

It sounds like your daughter knows her own preferences and should be respected. Parents are often much more attached to their child's appearance than the child is. But listen to your daughter, otherwise it just creates more conflict in your relationship.

I've worked with a few girls who sound just like this. They really want the least possible to do with their hair. One little girl gave herself a "Sharon Stone" short 'do with kid scissors in frustration, which left her looking more like a little boy. The short, bobbed haircuts are the best if you are going for a more feminine approach. If she chooses to grow it out at some point, pigtails will work to keep it up.

By the way, I happen to be a woman who wants absolutely nothing more to do with my hair than wash it, so I can totally sympathize with your daughter. (I too have the bobbed haircut and sport pigtails in the heat to keep it off my neck.) Trust your daughter on this...not all girls like to be girly and some of us would rather be doing anything else than fussing with our hair.

My 2 1/2 year old has been going through a phase of this, too! And her curly hair covers her eyes completely without a hair-do!

What has been helping lately is that we started naming the different hairstyles after other little girls that she knows. It seems to make it more fun and get her excited about it - then I just have to be fast and get it done while she's brushing her doll's teeth :). Our current repertoire of styles is:

The Bridget: Two low pigtails, parted down the middle (named after a bug in a story she loves)

The Holly: A side ponytail made from the whole top-middle section of hair (named after her 4 y.o. cousin)

The Michelle: A small side ponytail, just enough to keep it out of her eyes (named after the hairstylist who first put one in her hair)

The Rachel: Like the Michelle, only I flip it through to create a twisted look.

And one I can't remember the name for:
Front sections of hair all pulled back into a ponytail, then the back sections into a ponytail that also grabs the end of the front ponytail.

My friend has a four year old daughter with the same problem. She can't keep up with her hair and her daughter won't let her. So she had her hair cut into a shoulder length bob and it worked out great. It was so cute and she didn't have to do anything but brush it when she got out of the bath. It was darling. Good luck!

Just take her to the mall and let her chose what she would like to wear on her hair. Most of the accessories has pictures on them and she can chose which one she likes. This way she will be more cooperative when you do her hair too. Talk about colors and cloths and how you can match them. I have a son who is 4 and he already knows how to match the colors. It is killing me when I see little kids here and there dress up like little parrots. Actually the mother nature made a better color choices for these colorful birds.

If you want, you can email me and I'll send you a free sample of my Nonslip Barrettes - I'm in Port Orchard, WA. There's a hair ideas page on my site, as well. I've got three girls and they all just had cuts so I know that length needs something. Also, you can support a fundraiser for a local child who had a brain tumor removed at 4 yrs (now 6) and has worsened and has NO diagnosis - we're helping the family send her to MAYO for upt 10 days of care - I'll be selling samples that moms made in training cheap, cheap, cheap - 100% of proceeds from that will go to benefit Keyahna - that's on my site, too. www.maidenus.com Best to you - T. B.

My daughter is 5 and has long hair. I let her watch a video while I do her hair. My girls get to watch tv, but not a lot of it. So, this is great to her. She asks me to do her hair because she knows she will get to pick a video to watch. Before we did this, she hated when I even brushed her hair out after the bath. Now, she will sit through pig tails without a peep. :)
As far as new styles, I find the girls on the Disney Channel always have fresh, new ideas. I am not suggesting that you have your daughter watch these shows, but you can look up Disney Channel online to check out some ideas.

My daughter HATES it when I want to touch her hair. She is six now, but has always been this way. She does not care how cute she looks when I am done, she does not want me to brush or touch her hair!
I keep it fairly short, but still 'girly'. She has a bob-style at jaw length and bangs. This has been a great help and low maintenance.
The other thing that is popular now are headbands with pretty silk ribbon or material on them. This will keep hair off her face and out of her eyes. I suggest you take her shopping for hair accessories WITH you so she can pick out what she likes.

1 / 3