Need Relief for Son's Mouth

I just took my 24 month old to the Dr. for having a high fever that has lasted for about 2 days. There are no other symptoms other than a fever and some blisters on his tongue that just showed up. The Dr. said it was a form of Hand Foot and Mouth. He doesnt have anything anywhere else on his body, just on his tongue. Does any one know anything about this or how to sooth the pain? All I was told was to give him 1/2 tsp pink Benadryl and 1/2 tsp Mylanta or Maalox mixed to numb the sores. He is loosing weight due to this because it hurts to eat.

I just wanted to thank everyone for their help, this was an aweful virus that he had and lasted for a full 8 days with fever the WHOLE time and the blisters. The fever is gone, blisters are almost gone, just healing and he is back at school. Thank you for all the advice, I was thinking that he was the only one that ever went through this, I know we wern't alone now. Really, the only thing that helped was to give him tylnol, benedryl and a shot of orajel to numb his mouth. He lived off popcicles, ice cream and apple sauce for the week!!

Maybe some ibuprofen would also help with the pain/inflammation. The benadryl/maalox combo is a good one too. My son also had this and it is miserable, but it should be gone in about a week! good luck.

It is a form of hand, foot, and mouth called herpangina. My oldest son had it twice when he was little. 1:1 ratio of Benadryl and Maalox will help with the blisters. My friends son had this just a few weeks ago and she used orajel mixed in to help with more numbing.

I'm sorry your little one is miserable but it will get better...viruses suck.

I had the same thing when I was 6 years old. I lost a great deal of weight and I didn't have much to begin with. I missed 6 weeks of school because of this nasty little thing. I didn't have any problem with it afterwards. My mom used peroxide to help with the sores. There is a product called peroxyl that my dental hygenist sister recommends for sores in the mouth.

Give your little one a straw to drink out of. It will keep the pain to a minimum. My dad made me shakes with eggs in them for protein. Puree the food and drink out of a straw.

HOpe this helps...praying for a speedy recovery.

take care and God Bless!

P.

My son had this and it was miserable for him. I'm sorry I don't have any real solutions for you, but I remember the doc telling us it was common, and that it didn't last long.

Good Morning R.,
My sisters son had it once and if I remember correctly it just needs to take its course. I looked it up on webmd (great website)and this is what I found: How is it treated?
Hand-foot-and-mouth disease does not usually need treatment. Most cases go away in 7 to 10 days. You can use home care to help relieve your child’s symptoms.

Offer your child plenty of cool fluids. Your child may also have Popsicles and ice cream.
Do not give your child acidic or spicy foods and drinks, such as salsa or orange juice. These foods can make mouth sores more painful.
For pain and fever, give your child acetaminophen (such as Tylenol) or ibuprofen (such as Advil). Do not give your child aspirin. It has been linked to Reye's syndrome, a serious illness.
To help prevent the disease from spreading:

Teach all family members to wash their hands often. It is especially important to wash your hands after you change the diaper of an infected child. This is because the virus may stay in the stool for several months after the blisters heal.
Do not let your child share toys or give kisses while he or she is infected.
If your child goes to day care or school, talk to the staff about when your child can return.
Wear latex or rubber gloves when you apply any lotion, cream, or ointment to your child's blisters.
http://children.webmd.com/tc/hand-foot-and-mouth-disease-...
Have a blessed day! K.
Stay at home mome of 3 beautiful girls. Working from home and loving it!

Well my daughter often get's those blisters in her mouth but on the inside of her lips and what has always helped was to dap sugar on them. For some reason the sugar heals the sores faster. Just poor a little on the sore throughout the day and see if it helps. I sure hope so.

I have had this myself - as an adult - it was MISERABLE! I had the blisters in my mouth for 3-4 days & couldn't eat or drink much of anything. I also felt bad in general - no energy - just wanted to sleep. I took Tylenol & Motrin alternating as much as possible. In case no one has mentioned, the blisters will probably start sloughing off in a couple of days - very disgusting but also a relief! I hope your little guy is feeling better soon!

Both my kids had the hand foot and mouth disease and it was terrible. What their pediatrician said was to rotate tylenol and ibuprofen for the pain and the prescribed "acyclovir". It is a viral antibiotic and those blisters are caused by a virus. It only comes in a small pill so we had to crush it and give it to them, but within a day and a half, the blisters were already pretty much gone. Talk to your doctor and see about giving them this antibiotic. I was told most doctors don't prescribe it but my children's doctor did and yes it does work and it works well. Also keep fluids down him. Hope he gets better soon.

1 / 3