Need Menu Idea for 2-Year Old Birthday party--ASAP

Hi all. I have had so much great luck with you all, that I am here again asking for help. My son turns two on Saturday. We are having a small party, about 10 adults, three toddlers and to babies. I promised to serve a "light lunch" and cake/ice cream from 11:00 to 2:00. The theme will be Disney Cars. I'm about to order the cake from Whole Foods, but I CANNOT figure out what to serve for lunch. The problem? I'm seven months prego, have been sick with a sinus infection for two weeks, now my son is sick (but recovering fast!) and am just generally too pooped to make anything fancy. I need ideas FAST. Was hoping to do something that coordinates with the Cars theme, but am out of ideas. I don't think I'll have it in me to cook much. Kids are a little picky about what they eat, so was thinking corn dogs on a stick (not nutritious, I know) and mac n cheese. But for the adults, was thinking homemade mac n cheese, but what else???? Salad? Soup? Quiche?

Please help. All ideas welcome. :-)

First of all, I am soo, soo sorry this took me so long to get back here with an update (FIVE months!). I'm sure no one really cares anymore, but the party was a great success. The corn dogs were a huge hit; everyone, including the adults loved them. We also had quiche, fruit kabobs with chocolate dipping sauce, salad and punch. I was surprised that no one really drank the punch. It wasn't great, but who doesn't like punch?? ;-) Totally recommend corn dogs for little people parties...afterall, any food on a stick is yummy and fun. And it was super duper easy, which I needed since I was seven months prego at the time (new little guy doing great now, too). Thanks to everyone who responded (if you are still out there!). Lots of great suggestions, as usual.

I think corn dogs are a good idea for all. If you want, when you serve them, have 4 thick sliced pickles on the sides to look like tires on a car. Stick them on with a half of tooth pick. Two dots of mustard for headlights and racing stripes in catsup. Adults usually like salad to go along with something else. A quiche is always a great choice.

I don't know how you feel about the frozen dinner thing, but I didn't feel all that great this is what I would do! I would put one of those a frozen lazagna in the over and some rolls and maybe a salad. Done! For the kids how about a pizza and juice box.

A couple quick thoughts:

When I think "light lunch" I think of a soup, salad, sandwich type affair. Maybe a veggie tray, fruit, and pinwheel sandwich (all available pre package, prepped and ready at most grocery stores).

When I think of Cars I think of Route 66 and classic diner fare: meatloaf, mac n cheese, sliders, etc...

When I think of kids I think about color... Red, Blue, Green are all character colors in the movie, so why not use that... red apple slices, blue kool-aid, blueberry something, green peppers, etc..

I'm sure you will come up with something fabulous. Have Fun!

Give yourself a break mama!! Head to Costco or Sams club and go to their prepared deli foods area. Costco has some really tasty turkey tortilla wraps. They look like little wheels kinda and I've seen lots of little kids eat them. They also have some prepared salads (chicken cesaer, pasta, shrimp) that you could pick up. You could also just have a simple pasta salad and leave the dressing off a smaller bowl for the kids. The kids can then pick out whatever they don't eat? Hmmmm.... I just realized I'll be in the same boat this summer! Since you specified light lunch, don't feel like it has to be warm or too involved. My experience has been that light lunch normally indicates finger foods or cold. Good luck!

Go to your favorite store and get some premade trays: veggies, fruits, meats & cheeses, etc. Also, many stores carry "cupcake" cakes. These are cupcakes frosted together in fun shapes. No cutting, just pull apart to serve. you can also get snack bags of fruit snacks, cracker & cookies. Go to the dollor store and pick up some pretty plates & cups. Your son will not care about how much you fused just that you celebrated.

I just went to a first birthday party for lunch. She had all kid friendly foods and the adults loved it, too. She did homemade mac and cheese, a baked rigatoni, pigs in a blanket and a big fruit bowl. It was great. I don't think you need both pasta dishes.

Good luck! I don't envy you feeling the way you do, but your sone will love it.

MorningStar makes great little mini-corndogs that are vegetarian and much healthier than the typical corn dogs. You could make wraps with meat and cream cheese for the kids and throw on some lettuce and tomato for the adults. It's easy - just use a tortilla, spread put the ingredients on it and then cut them in to slices for "wheels". What about a veggie platter with dip for the adults and kids? Or you could do pizza - that's easy too, for the adults. The kids won't eat much because they're excited. You could also have little bowls of Annie's Cheddar Bunnies (or Goldfish), sliced grapes, etc... Stick to heavy appetizers rather than worry about preparing a meal. Have fun!

Easy baked sandwiches!

Buy Rhodes bread dough. There's a recipe for a reuben party sandwich on their website: http://www.rhodesbread.com/recipes/view/1576, but you can use it for other flavors as well.

Just pat or roll thawed dough out into a 12x18 rectangle, layer fillings (pastrami, swiss cheese, sauerkraut, 1000 Island dressing) down the center. Cut the sides in strips and fold over to look like a ladder. Brush the top with beaten egg and sprinkle with caraway seeds and salt. Bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes. Use a bread knife or pizza wheel to cut into strips between the "rungs" of the ladder and serve.

We've also done pizza: fill with pepperoni, sausage, mozarella cheese, tomato sauce, etc. Sprinkle Italian seasoning or oregano and parmesan cheese on top.

Or club: fill with deli turkey, ham, bacon bits and cheese.

Or Philly steak: fill with roast beef, sauteed onions and green peppers, swiss cheese.

These look very impressive, but they're very easy. Have fun with the party!

I would make some mac-n-cheese w/ hot dogs in it(fav of mine as a kid) :)
I'd also get a veggie or meat and cheese tray from somewhere.Then maybe juice, make a pot of coffee or even cold tea for the adults.
I've gotta do this for my daughter 3rd birthday this summer and I always struggle with what to do.
Good luck in whatever u choose and Happy Birthday to your son!

1 / 3