7 answers

Need Location Ideas, Please!

My daughter's first birthday is coming up. We want to have a BBQ but can't really have it at our townhome and do not have a family/friend who can host it at their house either. We are looking for an outdoor pavillion with picnic benches (we can bring the grill) BUT we also want it next to a place that has an indoor room so if it rains I can move the guests indoors. Plus, I want the guests to have an indoor bathroom to use. I don't mind paying for the indoor and outdoor shelter. We live in Bartlett, but wouldn't mind suggestions in other towns as my only option in Bartlett is taken that day. Also, we are inviting around 70 (expect 50) and there should only be a couple kids. Thanks!

What can I do next?

More Answers

James "Pate" Philip State Park Shelter
Stearns Road West of Route 59
Bartlett, IL 60103
James "Pate" Philip State Park Shelter Directions

Permit Rate = $55 1st 5 hours, $10 each additional hour

The James "Pate" Philip State Park Shelter is a scenic outdoor facility avaiable for rent! It can accomodate large groups. This location features a large pavilion (lots of picnic tables), indoor restroom facilities, and more!

Why not do the forest preserve? They always have a bunch of "grove" sites that you can reserve for a nominal fee. You may want to drive by to see what the facilities are like before you reserve, but some are near bath houses, they all have picnic tables, most have shelters with slab floors and there's plenty of parking. I think you make the reservations through the county...check the signs in the preserves.
Our family has done the annual family reunion at forest preserves that are centrally located. Everyone is willing to bring bag chairs and their favorite "lawn games" too.
We usually cater the even through Portillo's or Brown's Chicken so that you can simply pick it up on the way to the forest preserves. We buy all the sternos and stuff in advance, and get extra serving utensils.

Hope that helps!


It is a little ways away, but Ty Warner Park in Westmont is REALLY nice.

Trout Park and Lourds Park in Elgin both have shelters. I know Trout Park has a indoor bathroom of sorts. It's a very large outhouse but it is permanent. They also have grills on site that you can put bbq briquettes in.

It is really nice. I'm sure you could find info about them both on the net if you Googled them.

You might want to check out Lord's Park in Elgin. There is a pavillion available although I don't know the rental specifics. It's a great park with a lake, playground and a small zoo. Hope that helps.

My friends had their daughters first Birthday party last year at the Bartletts firehouse. I think it is part of the park district. It was indoors though. But you may want to check it out. I can ask her for the info if you want to email me at ____@____.com

Try your park district. At the park across the street from me, I see tents up occassionally, balloons, etc... I am not sure if they are allowed to have grills, though. Also, there is a park building that we can rent for approx. 100. dollars for 2 hours. (I live in Arlington Hts.) There is also a pool on the premises. The pools that have parks like this that I can think of in my town are.... Pioneer Park, Heritage Park, Lake Arlington, and Frontier Park.

Required Fields

Our records show that we already have a Mamapedia or Mamasource account created for you under the email address you entered.

Please enter your Mamapedia or Mamasource password to continue signing in.

Required Fields

, you’re almost done...

Since this is the first time you are logging in to Mamapedia with Facebook Connect, please provide the following information so you can participate in the Mamapedia community.

As a member, you’ll receive optional email newsletters and community updates sent to you from Mamapedia, and your email address will never be shared with third parties.

By clicking "Continue to Mamapedia", I agree to the Mamapedia Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.