Need Ideas on Keeping Kiddie Pool Clean

I've got a toddler pool on my deck & I don't know how to keep it clean. It's a collapsable pool about 6 feet in diameter & I'd rather not have to empty & refill it everytime we want to use it. We've got a LOT of iron in our water (we have a well) & the water & pool get a brown film in & around in. Then there's the dirt that collects in it by the end of the day. It did not come with a cover so I suppose I could try covering it with a tarp every night, but I don't know how to secure the tarp, since it gets pretty windy in our yard. Our neighbor mentioned putting bleach in the water, but I'm not comfortable with that. Does anyone else have this problem and/or have any suggestions on how I can keep the pool relatively clean for a week at a time?

We have a pool for the kids and we use just a little bit of chlorine every few days or so and we have a tarp over the top. We either use big rocks or some big outside toys to hold the tarp down. I don't refill the water everyday, seems like a waste of water. But once the water gets enough dirt that settles down to the bottom I will refill it.

TK,
I know this is'nt what you wrote about, but you maybe shouldn't have a pool on your deck (unless it is one of those super shallow pools or a deck a foot off the ground) . A six foot wide pool has a lot of water in it and that is REALLY heavy. One gallon of water weighs 8 lbs. If you have a full pool, that could be a couple of hundred pounds. I only think of this because my girlfriend had her kids' pool on the deck for a while before she discovered that and then was quite worried about it! You don't want your deck to collapse!

I would tarp it. You can put rocks on the corners of the tap to keep it in place so the wind does not catch it when the pools not in use. They also have products to try to get out rust from the water. Using chlorine wouldn't be a bad idea since they do it in bigger pools. Bleach is a form of chlorine and cheaper too. It's probably why your neighbor suggested it.

Don't ever put bleach in water your kids will swim in! It has really high ph which is a really bad combination with skin and eyes. Regular pool chlorine has a balanced ph level safe for swimming.

You could get a filter that hangs over the side and then invest in some chemicals, a floating chlorine holder, some mineral out, algicide and chlorine and ph testing strips and if you are going to do that much work you should get a pool with a decent filter and a cover.

I have a pool and hot tub and am very comfortable with maintaining chemicals so if you decide to go that route feel free to message me.

Rather than a tarp you can try to cover it with a fitted sheet. This will keep bugs and sticks out. As for the dirty water, the only thing I've heard of doing is using bleach or using hot tub or pool cleaners.

Unless you have a filter pump and are treating the water, it will need to be dumped and refilled every time.

You can get hot tub chemicals and they are safe to use in kid's pools. Best to have a pump and filter, too. Some pools come with them now. You need to get a strip testing kit to check the ph level of the water each day and add the chem as necessary.

It is perfectly safe to put bleach in the pool, that's basically what public swimming pools use. You could go looking in the outdoor activities section at Wal-Mart see if the have a pre-mixed pool cleaner and iron remover for the pool. I would find something that will work for a pool cover also I would use a bucket or similar object to hold a little water so the kids can rinse off their feet after playing in the yard and before getting in the pool.

You just have to dump and refill everyday. Sucks but bleach isn't the key and once they get in it and play it's dirty and needs to be dumped. It's like a bathtub.

1 / 3