Need Ideas for "Home Lunch" for My Daughters Field Trip

Hi everyone. My 5 year old is going on a field-trip for Kindergarten. It has to be a completely "disposable" lunch... meaning non-perishable, nothing that has to be chilled, and then after eaten, it can all be thrown away bag and all. Also, her school is a "nut free" and "peanut free" school... so nothing is allowed derived from any nuts. I would like to stay away from anything "junk food" oriented as well, although I know lots of these foods come in sealed bags that are easy to pack and carry.
For some reason, I am drawing a complete blank on ideas and have a brain freeze. So if any of you have any great ideas, I would really appreciate it. Thank you!

Thank you all, each one of you, for your very great suggestions. I've decided to try each one... yes, each one, since her field-trip isn't for another couple of weeks.... and see which food items she really likes herself. I just don't want to just "spring" something new on her the day of the field trip, and then she skips eating because it isn't a familiar food. I will make it into a "fun" activity with her "discovering" new foods and styles of eating... so she thinks it's fun and exciting. Then, when I've narrowed it down, I can then make a very cool and very delicious home-lunch for her field-trip and can rest assured that she likes it too, and then for me, in my mind, I can know that she will have a good filled up tummy on her busy field trip day. They are going to the airport by the way. How exciting for the children. Thanks again to everyone... I really appreciate your tips! Mahalo!

Probably late here also...a tip on the freeze the drink...depends on the weather...is it indoor outdoor? etc.
Here by spring most days the frozen stuff will thaw...especially the smaller juice boxes.
You can always put in a small baggie that was filled with some water and frozen if you are worried about the drink being frozen.
I agree with the 1st grade teacher..keep it small.
Half a sandwich...or a small rolllup - string cheese - a applesauce (individual)
My ODD, now 17 said her fav was crackers/cheddar cheese/pepporoni,I would put each in individual mini baggies. an applesauce and a juicebox.
Barb

When we were little we used to have bread butter jam sandwiches. Butter instead of peanut butter. Give her some chips and a juice box and she is good to go

Check out this site, they should have an idea or two for you!
http://www.laptoplunches.com/ideas.html

Try these: a snack sized zippered bag (Ziploc) full of apple slices dipped in lemon juice (so they won't turn brown), small cheeses from Babybel (they are wrapped in cellophane and have a wax coating that she can easily learn to zip open -- the three year old I care for loves to zip these), a snack sized ziploc bag that contains chunks of celery filled with pimento cheese spread, finger sandwiches (cut a regular sandwich with three parallel lines, to make 4 small, thin but long sandwich sections) with her favorite sandwich filling (tuna salad, chicken salad, ham, cheese, deviled ham)--and a small bottle of water that can be thrown away.

Barb

I know this is old, but thought I would respond anyway for future lunches.

It really isn't that hard to pack disposable. I think that you are stressing over it when the main thing is just that you can't send a thermos type bag with a frozen thing to keep it cool.

For disposable fieldtrips....The main thing is to make sure that whatever you pack doesn't get all gross and warm while waiting to be eaten.

Here is what I do:
Double bag your lunch. Large Brown paper bag for lunch inside a gallon size ziplock bag. This will help the wear and tear that could happen to those paper bags, and keep all contents inside. Permanent Marker on the plastic bag your child's name.

3/4 freeze a juice box and place it also in a sandwich or quart size ziplock because it will sweat as it melts and will get everything in the paper bag wet. This will cut down on this issue. This will act as your "frozen" item that should keep the other items cool.

You can pretty much pack anything you normally would considering you will have the cold drink to keep it cool.

sandwich of any kind....turkey, cheese, creamcheese and jelly, or any lunchmeat favorite. (Hormel has a nitrate free hormone free lunchmeat now that is REALLY good!!) I ALWAYS put a thin layer of at LEAST lettuce on my children's sandwiches. I can't stand to see them eat a plain sandwich with NO vegetable. \

So you already have the basic sandwich and drink taken care of......now some snack ideas that my kids aways enjoy.

Danimals (drinkable yogurts)- don't have high fructose corn syrup or any of the other crap other yogurts labeled for "kids" have.

fruit cups with a disposable spoon
Applesauce with a disposable spoon

peanut/nut free granola bar (Quaker has a natural version now which is FANTASTIC, my kids like it better than the original that contains high fructose corn syrup, etc.)

Apple or Cut up Apple

Clementine (SUPER easy to peel mini oranges, with no seeds)

string cheese

Box of Raisins

Grapes

Mini bag of cookies or popcorn or snack chips

Pudding cups/Jello cups

individually packed carrots with dip found in the produce area at stores

The one thing to remember, is that especially at 5, no matter what their appetite is, they tend to eat less at fieldtrips. Also a little rule of thumb is that I know fieldtrips are special occasions, so I don't hesitate to give my kids something out of the oridinary, just for that day like a piece of candy or a mini can of pop instead of a juice box. It's only one day and it goes along with the "special" day.

Being disposable doesn't mean you have to send your kid with a lunchable and a bag of chips with a "cooler" type drink. Just pack a 100% juice box (or there are also prepackaged milk by nestle or organic valley(?) that is juice box like and doesn't have to be refrigerated.) and make your own snacks or put in your own ziplock bags. Before you know it, you will become a fieldtrip wiz. I've been on so many and have seen all the lunches that have failed the test of the fieldtrip. I think my double bagging and way I do things has been by far one of the better and well preserved fieldtrip lunches.

OHH...and pack wet ones to wash hands before and after they eat. Not all fieldtrips allow for bathroom time to wash up before eating.

Hope it helps in the future

I know this is late as well, but many of the pre packaged carrots, celery, apples are great. They even have pre packaed little bags with apples and grapes. As far as a sandwich, i suggest getting those little rolls instead of bread or a hamburger bun for the sandwich, because many times the bread gets all smashed and sometimes the little ones will not eat it. Try the little rolls like the kind subway uses for the kids meal packs, drinks, capri suns or a small water bottle is the way to go. It is true on what one parent stated about feeding your child a good breakfast in the morning-when kids do not eat, sometimes they get motion sickness and having something in their stomachs does help. Usually some fruit(like a banana), toast, oatmeal, and some juice does the trick, it will give them more energy, - another reason, is by the time they get to the destination, they are hungry, their endorphins are running wild because they are so excited, so they do tend to get hungry early on - that is why i also suggest a good healthy breakfast and a small lunch. The kids are excited and they will take a couple of bites and then on the bus they crash out on the way home.

Sorry I missed this whenever you 1st put it on mamasource but I'm glad because I got to read the answers from other moms before responding to you. I WOULD NOT send cream cheese-bacteria could form at 40 degrees or warmer. How about those little stick cracker with cheese, mozarella stick, raisens or dried cranberries (they are to die for),etc. Make sure the child has a good protein breakfast. Bacon, eggs, etc and that will hold her over till after school snack. They really are too excited to eat very much I was a room mom and went on all the trips so I know how much fresh fruit got tossed. Pack wipes in plastic bag and don't forget fruit wrap for fun.

to avoid having to send an ice pack in the lunch try apples that are already in the little bags, crackers, bottled water, and a granola bar that is nut free. Give your child a hearty breakfast and a snack when they get home and they will be fine. You can freeze the water the night before and by the time they go to drink it it will be cold not frozen.

1 / 3