Need Ideas for Cheap Arts and Crafts for a Short Attention Span 2 1/2 Yr Old.

I'm not very artsy craftsy, and would love to get my lil one who is a 2 1/2 yr old energetic girl to enjoy some more crafts. So far all I do is color, and playdough. Help!!!

This one I think she will really enjoy though it is a bit on the messy side.
Finger painting with pudding.
You might want to put her in a shock of some kind or just put her in an old short sleeve blouse or top. Cover a section of the table or if she still uses a high chair the tray will work fine. Then just put a glop of pudding infront of her and let her have fun. Like I said a bit messy but super fun and you dont have to worry about her getting it in her mouth since it is edible. Ü

As a daycare provider my experience is that arts and crafts for around age 2 is still hard for them to work on for more than 10 minutes without loosing interest. I usually do not introduce crafts till age 3. Don't get me wrong we do color, paint and play dough, but as I mentioned it usually if over in 10 minutes. Here are a few other crafts the 2 year olds seem to say in tuned to.

1. Glue and stick. Buy stuff they can glue on paper like feathers, little fuzzy balls, macaroni & beads. Multi color and texture is the key. Just control the glue they love the taste ;)

2. blocks and string. For some reason kids love to string blocks and large beads. Buy shoestring and those blocks that have holes in them. Made sure the holes are big enough for them to put through. If it is too small they will give up. This also helps with learning colors and shapes.

3. styrafoam and pipecleaners. Most craft stores will have those styrafoam balls (used to make planets for school age kids solar system projects). The balls come in all sizes. Have them paint them then after they dry get those little pipe cleaners and they love to poke them into the ball. You will have to show them how. It is kinda like making a Mr. Potatoe head.
You can make spiders for Halloween, snowmen for christmas or just a wonderful art piece for their home. You can even make a mobile out of all their balls.

Have you tried foam stickers? One project our art class had especially for 2 year olds was to make "treasure boxes". They had the children decorate chinese take out boxes with foam stickers of all shapes. They have them in animals, sports, alphabet, flowers, etc. and they are relatively easy to find. You can look in craft stores like Joann or Michaels, and probably find them at Target too. Peeling off the backing is good for their fine motor skills and having a special box to put any goodies they please makes little ones feel good about themselves. Good luck!

Use macaroni.... to glue or color with food coloring or paint it... stack it, use it on other things to create sculpture... or make collages with etc.

Use egg cartons... cut it up into "cups" and use it for other things or projects...paint it, stack it, put it together to create critters.... add pom poms on it... sticks etc.

Use milk cartons... cut it in half length wise and make a "boat" and use chop sticks to create a sail etc. or use it to make a car or a bed for her dolls etc.

Use empty coffee cans to make drums... or let her paint it, or wrap decorative paper or wrapping paper around it to make cute storage containers for her things.

Go online.. there are many free websites with craft ideas for children....

Use paper plates and create masks... or flowers.... or fans.... by cutting them up or adding construction paper to it to make the different parts.

All the best,
Susan

E.,

You can also look for the book The Little Hands Art Book by Judy Press through Williamson Publishing. It's made for 2-5 year olds and it is a lot of fun. I'm sure you can find it on amazon.com for pretty cheap! Have fun!

A.

Both Lakeshore Learning stores and Michaels have free arts and crafts on Saturdays. Call your nearest store and check out the specific times. Going to a few of these things will give you plenty of ideas.

let her finger paint. kids love how the paint feels on their hands. if you have a chalk board try letting her color with chalk. you can let her make a necklace (with larger beads and a yarn neddle i think its called (its a big plastic needle). if your really gutsy try letting her glue and glitter things to paper to make her colorings more fun. i taught 2 and 3 yr olds in sunday school and we had the same problem. coloring and play dough only go so far. good luck i hope this helps!

Finger painting with pudding.

"paint" on the sidewalk with water and a jumbo brush

1 / 3