Need Ideas for Baptismal/Christening Gift

Hi Moms,
We have a Baptism to go to this Saturday and I have no idea what kind of gift to get. It is for a little girl about 6 months old. Does it have to be a religious gift? If so, where does one purchase this? I live on the NW side of Chicago and I'm hoping I don't have to travel too far for this. Or can it be clothes or a toy? Please help fast .... I need to shop for this tomorrow. Thanks in advance to anyone that replies to this quickly.

Thanks to everyone for your wise advice. For some reason, I'm not getting my emails via mamasource so I missed out on all your great advice this time. I did end up buying a couple of gifts that I know the parents and baby will enjoy ... Snoopy and a toy guitar. But I did feel the gifts were somewhat inappropriate due to the religious nature of this event. Luckily they chose not to open the gifts at the party. However, I'm pretty sure I'll be going to more of these, so I'll definitely know what to do next time. I love the idea of the bonds. Also the books with a moral theme. Thanks again. D.

I agree with the moms that suggested savings bonds. The great thing about them is that they are worth double what you pay for them (in 5 years). If you want to spend $25 you can get a $50 savings bond.

Hi D.,

My son, Daniel is now 22 motnhs old, and the best christening gift we recieved was a non-religious one from my friend. She gave us 2 books, with positive life messages in them. One is called "words are not for hurting" and the other one, which Daniel loves now, is called "whoever you are" by Mem Fox. The message in this book is that although children and people all around the world look/sound/live differently, inside we all laugh, hurt, bleed or love the same.
These books were so special to me, because I feel that they can teach Daniel about being a good person, caring about others, and understanding others, and at this satge in his life, carry more weight than any little religious charm, or prayer book.

Hope this is helpful to you.

Diana
I have 3 kids, all whom have been Baptised. I recieved everything from religious gifts, to clothes and toys - but, as usual, the most practical gift was money and/or bonds. What happens to the clothes?? The babe grows out of them, the toys get tattered and broken and the religous gifts (sorry to say) most often end up being knick knacks that for some people are a pain to deal with. (they are all in the kids closests right now....)

You could find a 14K gold small necklace (cross or another religious symbol), perhaps a children's bible is another choice that the parents can read to the kids. All of my kids have a cross that hangs in their rooms above their door -it is a cross with a child kneeling at prayer (but, we have a cross above each of our exit doors in our house).....There are religious shops around, but where you live, I couldn't tell you where to look.

So - since you're short on time, I'd stop by Hallmark and pick up a beautiful card, and put $25 -$50 in the card (depending how much you like this friend!)and maybe bring a pretty bouquet of flowers.

When my twins were Baptist they received mostly Saving Bonds and cash. The Godparents bought them gold Metals of the Saints of their names that we put on them the day of the Baptism.

For my son's baptism, a lot of our guests got him like $20 bonds which I think are a wonderful idea. I put them in a safe lock box at the bank. That way once he's older, he will have these to cash in on. I actually got bonds when I was baptised, and the values are already a few hundred dollars!! I believe that monetary gifts are very acceptable for these events.

Hi D.!
We received mostly cash for both our kids baptisms, which we deposited into their college savings accounts. A Bible story would also be a nice gift they can keep forever.

GOOD LUCK!!!!

D.,

We received all types of gifts for our daughter. Her God Parents both did a special necklace for her, which we loved. Others gave clothes, toys, gmaes. My personal opinion is that cash or bonds are the most practical if you are not the God Parent. I took the cash our daughter received and put it in an account for her. Make it easy on yourself and do that.

You could go to Hallmark and pick something up. I just did for baptisms I have this month and for my own kids baptism's. I got a blue/pink cross to hang in their room and a blue/pink small new testament. Good luck.

1 / 3