Need Help with Joint Boy/girl Birthday Party!

Hey ladies! Well, I totally have "birthdays" on my brain, as my oldest child turns 4 this coming weekend. In planning his party, I have started thinking about what I am going to do for my other two kiddos who both have birthdays in December. My daughter will turn 3, and my son will turn 1. Their birthdays are 9 days apart and I am planning on having a joint family party. (No worries- when they get older I will do separate parties for them with their friends.) Anybody have any "theme" suggestions? I have been looking at pink and blue stuff, but don't want it to look like a baby shower. And I am going to wait until next year to do the "Pirate and Princess" theme. I do great once I get a theme...but I am at a loss for this one! If you have done a joint boy/girl party, please let me know what you did. THANKS!

I know you have a ton of responses - but I thought I would share what I did for my son and niece's 3rd birthday (they are 10 days apart). We did bugs and butterflies. They're all one in the same... but we were able to choose some "boy" bugs like grasshoppers, spiders and scorpions and then ladybugs and butterflies for girls. Makes for some awesome looking cakes! :-) Good luck!

-D.

I'm doing a Rubber ducky theme for my little boy. There are LOADS of things available in boy and girl colors and the ducky itself is gender neutral. If you google Rubber Ducky Birthday Party you'll get a TON of links with websites dedicated to this sort of thing. I'm stealing loads of ideas from these websites for my lil guy's party.

Maybe you could try something gender neutral like an under the sea or Nemo theme. We had a "fish" party for my dau. when se was 4. We took a large box (I think a treadmill came in it) and made a fishing booth. Just a thought. Seems like there could be lots ways to go with that theme.

I have to second all the ones Rae Ann suggested below... but I also would like to add

Raggedy Ann & Andy
Cowgirl/Cowboy theme (Western)
Winter Wonderland theme...
Wizard of Oz
Sesame Street (lots of characters there)
Disney in general theme party with all of the characters
(mix and match characters and maybe put Wishing All Of Your Dreams Come True on the cake...

We personally have done the Blue's Clues for my daughters birthday (which could go either way) and made/purchased everything BLUE.

We also did the Sesame Street Party theme and did Cookie Monster, Big Bird, Zoe, Elmo...

My daughters birthday is also in December

Do a primary color birthday. Have everyone wear a primary color (red, blue or yellow). Kids love bright colors. Have two cakes, a primary color one with a big #1 on it for your son (they can make balloons out of frosting) and a primary color girly cake (with characters like Dora or Sesame Street). That way, your daughter will have her own candles to blow out and they will both feel special.

You can get plates, napkkins and stuff now at the dollar stores (or start watching for them to be on sale, esp. after labor day (great time to buy blue and red).

Since it will be in December, the bright colors will cheer up a dreary day.

I did a princess/knight party for my baby's 1st birthday. I gave all of the boys breast plates and knight hats, and I gave all of the girls crowns and a wand. (The breast plates are a seasonal item at Dollar Tree, and you can get them at Halloween time. It was cute, but you may be safer with something like Elmo or Dora... Your 3 year old would love it, and you 1 year old really won't know what's going on. I have a friend that did a scavenger hunt and the kids had to use "the map" to find the birthday cake that "swiper swiped." It was cute and you could focus on primary colors. She made purple back packs out of craft foam for the treat bags. Both boys and girls loved it.

G.

Although I'm 30 now, my brother and I had a lot of joint birthday parties when we were growing up. Our birthday's are 2 years and 10 days apart. My mom did Mickey and Minnie once for us, and I think that's still popular enough that it would work for you. Also, I think they have a lot of Elmo and Zoe stuff out there, or just Sesame Street. Dora and Diego, Backyardigans has 3 boys and 2 girls. Also, you could do either a farm or zoo theme, or just stick with cowboys and cowgirls. Sorry if these are repeats, I didn't have time to read the other's responses. Good luck! Let us know what you decide.

-Dora and Diego
-Minnie and Mickey
-Donald and Daisy
-Backyardigans (both boys and girls as the main characters)
-Dragon Tales-same as above (both boys and girls)
-A Zoo, circus, Wild West, or Jungle theme
-Medieval times theme
-Curious George
-Clifford's Puppy Days and/or Clifford the Big Red Dog

Hope this helps

-D.

Never did a joint party unless u count that my daughter's birthday parties always have male guests. She has two godbrothers I never want to leave out. I am guessing it will b indoor party in Dec. Past themes of ours back in toddler years: art party at our local art store, Alice in Winter Wonderland tea party where all prince/princess dressed up, & carousel party at mall. I try to b more creative every year.

I have found having activity parties that both genders enjoy is always a hit. Don't have to pay for decorations generally when I pay to use another location & cleaning up behind toddlers becomes some one else's job! Good luck. Hope this helps.

V.
Memphis, TN

1 / 3