Need Help with Dry Cracked Hands!!

Hi Moms,

I need some suggestions on a good hand cream or lotion to relieve dry cracked hands! I am a mom of a beatiful 19 month old son, and have a great husband of 3 years. I have been a hairstylist for 17 years and am always in water shampooing heads and washing my hands. In the winter months my hands get extra dry...I look like I have the hands of an eighty year old woman. My hands get dry, scaly, and break out around my nuckles and around my thumb and itch like crazy when it reaches this point! I realize it is from the constant water and try to wear gloves to shampoo, (although customers get offended) but lotions and even Vaseline does not work. Any suggestions besides a career change that any can offer me. Willing to try anything again!! Thanks everyone!

Hi C.-

My sister in law has extremely dry and chapped hands. She has OCD and works in a hospital so she is constantly washing her hands. She has used Udderly Smooth Udder Cream for years and has seen improvement.

Good Luck,

My spelling is off as I am sounding this out...neutrogena norweigen hand cream. It's a little tube that comes in a little box, my husband had horrible hands from working outside in the cold and this stuff worked well.

Bag Balm is the best thing I have used on my hands. When they get so bad that they are cracked and even bleeding, most lotions sting me. My Mother in law suggested it and I was a little weary because it was originally designed for animals' udders but if it works on those poor things hanging out in the freezing cold, I thought I'd give it a shot. They felt better instantly and within a few days (I was only using it at night), the were as good as new.

It comes in pretty, green tin cube. I found mine at CVS but I have seen it other places (which escape me) and it lasts for a very long time.

Hi C.-

Good Luck,

Curel Ultra healing Lotion!

It's amazing.
I used it to heal from the massive tattoo on my back.
And i use it in winter (my nuckles used to split and bleed if too dry.)

seriously.
try that!

oh yeah, and i wash my hands quite a bit with hand dish cleaning, household chores, and home renovations. if i didn't use that, i'd be in trouble!

I have a children's play place and I too am always washing my hands, especially on days that we have parties. Mine gets so dry they bleed sometimes. In fact, as I was ready your post I was putting on Lubrinderm Skin Nourishing Lotion with oat extract (party day today) : ). I put it on about 3 times in 30 minutes and when I wake up in the morning my hands are as good as new! Hope you find something that works for you.

I am from Colorado, where dry, cracked, & bleeding hands (and feet) were an annual reality. My step-mom showed me a trick that saved my painful hands every year.
She had me go get A&D ointment(Ointment, not the cream.) You put it on at night and put socks or cotton gloves on your hands. The downside is that it STINKS!
Since then, I have found that other thick creams work well. Just make sure that you put it on thick, and don't forget the gloves or socks. I use my husband's tube socks.
Keep on wearing those gloves to wash hair. Anyone that would be offended by that needs to seriously get a clue. In your line of work, you can't afford to have your hands cracked & bleeding. Not only does it look bad, but it hurts like heck.
I hope you find something that helps.

this may sound crass but my father has the same prob (he works outside so his are a lot WORSE !!) but my mom said he needed to fix that if he ever wanted to touch her again...he purchased this crazy thick vasaline looking stuff called cornhuskers (not sure if its one word or two) but his hands are a lot BETTER !!!

Mary Kay Extra Emollient Night Cream...message me for more information

C.,
I have a product-(BeautiControl) called Extreme Repair Hand Lotion and it is fabulous! It will give you a moisture barrier after applying so you can wash your hands up to 3 times and still feel the benefits. It is not greasy but it will heal damaged and dry hands. I wouldl ove to send you a tube and youcan let me knwo how you like it.

1 / 3