Need Help with Daughter That Has Pierced Ear Infection

My daughter got her ears pierced one year ago and we've had trouble with infection ever since. We continue to clean them with the solution that was provided by the store, use neosporin every other day, now I'm trying drying save (sp) and another triple antibiotic creme on the posts. The ear actually drops blood out of the hole most times we change the earrings. I hate to give up the fight since it's been a year. She's such a trooper but dreads the nights we change the earrings and clean them. I'll take any advice. I guess my next step is to take her into the pediatrician. I'm thinking I'll get the foolish look, like why are you here?

Thank you so much for all of the wonderful advice. The drawing save is working it's course and changing her earrings more often has helped. We've been watching the kind of posts too. My husband has been in charge since I've been traveling for a little while. I think we're on the right track! Thanks again!

Have you thought maybe it could be the earings you are using? Some children are allergic to 14 k gold and it can cause their ears to be infected or some children are allergic to sterling silver. If you are using one or the other maybe you should try to switch. Also soak the earing in peroxide for like 15 minutes and take a cotton ball and soak her ear with it also

Hello,

First of all are you only using nickle free earrings? That was a problem my youngest daughter had and she was fine with nickle free.

Second I found that if you use antibiotic ointment on them that they just continue to fester. I started using alcohol. It sounds harsh and it will sting but within a couple of days they were healed up and not sore anymore. I have found that this works with all piercings even though they say not to use it because it is drying.

I hope these suggestions help you.

Hi B.

Im no expert for doctor by no means . But I can tell you this I been a hair dresser for 19 years now and the solution that they give you at the stores isnt strong enough to fight off infection . Have you tried just peroxide? And Using the antibotic cream can cause a bacteria infection to if it stays moist all the time. Sometimes you just have to give up the fight and take the studs out for a while and give her ear a chance to heal . Thers nothing saying you cant have them done again at a later time. Sometimes kids just have problems with being allergic to the studs. Are you still using studs or reg earings? I know I cant wear anything but Studs in my ears or they get infected. Hope I helped somewhat. T.

have you tried different types of gold some kids can only wear 14 krt gold i cant wear the gold it makes my ears itch but i can wear the sterling silver.try taking them out at night and putting them in every day that way the ear gets a break .hope that help a little A.

B.,
Hello, i saw your post and wanted to respond because last year I had a similar problem. I did in fact take her to the peditrician they thought it was good that i brought her in . I think you should go in to get their opinion they will know best what to tell you to do. We had to have my daughter take out her earrings and let her holes close up to stop the infection. They said she could get them repearced in about a year. We went back on christmas break and got them done again she is having more sucess this time. I wish you well. M.

I have had several piercings(including the belly button) The best thing that I have found is to use bactine( it is in a green and white bottle) The other thing is your daughter could be allergic to metal

I have the same problem. The only kind of earrings I can wear are Gold real or studded. If i dont I get really bad infections just like that. I think it would be good to take her to the dr just to make sure that she doesnt need a topical antibiotic. When i got the infections cleared up and put the gold earrings in i was ok. Good luck, I hope this helps.

I have several good friends who are professional piercers. They never recommend using alcohol or peroxide on a piercing. Instead, they say to use Dial liquid soap. Alcohol and peroxide can be very irritating and can cause swelling and dry out the skin. If the skin dries out too much, it can crack and leave another opening for infection.

Also, I know from personal experience that a Nickel allergy can cause symptoms that are very similar to an infection. I went through the same thing when I was younger until my mom bought me real gold earrings. I also have to be careful with wire frame glasses. The really expensive stainless steel or titanium ones are the only wire frame glasses that do not contain nickel. The earrings I wear are actually made from surgical steel, and I had to switch to plastic frame glasses.

Also, in case this is a real infection and not just irritation or allergy. I have been told NOT to take an earring out when there is an infection. The skin will heal over, but the infection will still be inside and it will cause an abcess.

Hi B.,

My daughter had the same problem for the longest time, and it ended up being that she was allergic to the metal in the posts. I had to buy her real gold earrings...she did fine with 10k, so I would try your daughter out on those. You can find them fairly inexpensively at Wal-mart or Meijer.

Try 24k gold erings. I had the same problem with my own ears as a child and that is all I could wear. I have now just given up with it and have desided that it isn't worth the trouble. My daughter has the same problem and has also desided that she doesn't want to deal with it. Good luck!

1 / 3