Need Help with 2 1/2 Year Old Coughing So Much He Throws Up

Hello Gals, I love this site an read it daily. I need some helpful ideas from ya'll. I have a sweet 2 1/2 year old little boy. The problem we are all having in our home is when he gets a runny nose it drains down the back of his throat, he begins to cough and cough and cough til he gags and usually throws up. This usually happens at nite when he is laying down. He take allergy medicine daytime and we have tried a humidifier, a small pillow to "prop" his he up on. This happens more frequent when we have ozone days and allergy warnings are posted for our area. He does not have any food allergies. tonite alone I have clean up a "yucky" kiddo and his bed. I hope someone has a idea or two for me. Thanks!

Thank ALL of you for responding to my 1st request. I got tons of ideas and tips from all of you. I did wonder if he had Pertussis and went to the doctor today to get it checked out. They did a mucus culture and will get the results back in a few days. (lets all hope and pray it is negitive!!!!) My doctor seemed to think it was allergies with drainage that caused the cough which lead to him throwing up. He is doing better....last 3 nights have been "easy".....No late night clean-ups and laundry! Thanks again for all of you answering my request! Have a great week! S.

Sounds like he could be alergic to something in the house. Does he have a feather pillow, some are alergic to feathers, my daughter was.

My son was recently diagnosed with whooping cough :( Had no fever ,no sore throat and he said he didnt feel bad. Just had a nasty cough and doc said it could last up to 7-10 wks. Can spread by children being in enclosed rooms like schools and daycares. It could be acid reflux too but I would get it confirmed by a doctor for treatment.

This may sound odd but it really worked for my son.....At bedtime, try putting vicks on the bottom of his feet, then put on socks. I would also give him an antihistimine.

Both I and my daughter (now 2 1/2 years) have terrible allergies, but we are able to get through the time with natural remedies from Whole Foods and help we got from a Pediatric Chiropractor. We both take a probiotic supplement. I also give her some "kickin it immune" drops every morning and at night before bed when she has symptoms. For night time I boil some water in the tea kettle and then pour it in a bowl with a few drops of essential Euculyptus. I find that this works better than a vaporizer or humidifier. They each keep the mucus moving all night and it better to have most of it come out before she settles into sleep. Another thing that works well at night is to put vicks vapor rub on the bottom of the feet. I don't know why it works, but I heard it on NPR and it really does work.

Hi S.. I hope your problem has gotten better. My daughter is now 12 but she did the same thing as a toddler. We did everything you are doing.... try limiting thick liquids late in the day like milk and try the chest patches that stop the coughing. Make sure they are okay for 2 years olds to use. Run a cool mist humidifier in his room all day if necessary. Over time he will grow out of it. Good luck!

I feel your pain! My son also has the same problem even though they said his allergies are only "mild". He has what they call a reactive airway so anytime he gets any kind of cold his airways swell and increase mucus production which he sometimes throws up when he goes into a coughing fit. Mostly at night, but sometimes at other times as well. The allergist wanted to put him on Flovent and Xopenex (steroid med and bronchodilator), but I wasn't prepared to put my 4 yo on steroid meds when his symptoms are only in spring and fall. Parents or Parenting magazine has a great article about children with asthma/allergies in this months issue. You should check it out. For the nighttime I"ve found that a prescription cough syrup called Viravan PDM works really well. It is a combo of cough suppressant, decongestant and an antihistamine. When his symptoms are moderate or worse I also give him benadryl and Mucinex Cold in the a.m. to try to keep things in check during the day so the nighttime isn't so bad. When his nighttime cough isn't continuous I give him Mucinex Cough instead of the Viravan. I only give him these meds when he is symptomatic. We tried Singulair to clear up a chronic cough during allergy times which also worked really well, but my son became aggressive and uncooperative while taking it so we discontinued it. Many of the reviews I've read online re: Singulair were negative when it applied to children so be wary of this and other allergy drugs. They are not studied on children so the side effects are not known just anecdotal. Don't get me wrong, Singulair is a great drug to control/cease symptoms, but the side effects can be nasty and I determined them not worth it. I also read reviews about other allergy meds such as Nasonex and some other nose spray type med and found horrible reviews about side effects on children. I hope you find something that works for your child. hd

S.,

Just out of curiosity, what makes you think he doesn't have any food allergies? Are you expecting to see some massive violent reaction like swollen face, diarrhea, blood in the stool, rash, etc? Did a doctor do a blood or skin scratch test and tell you it was normal?

If any of the above is the case, I encourage you to reconsider. It is HIDDEN food intolerances that cause much chronic disease like your son is demonstrating. The reason they are called "hidden" is because neither you, nor your doctor, can see it. Most people never get properly diagnosed. Respiratory issues in particular are often connected to dairy. This is a casein intolerance, not lactose. Gluten is another big culprit that trashes the immune system, with only about 30% of people with the problem showing digestive complaints. Conventional skin scratch and blood testing is inaccurate and misleading. I assure you the liklihood is that you have absolutely no idea what foods your son is reacting to.

The good news is that this lab in Plano can help you. www.enterolab.com. They do STOOL testing, not blood and skin scratch which are not reliable. Read up on the website, as well as its amazing director whose research shows that half the US population is suffering from a gluten or casein problem, or both. Easy test. No doctor referral needed. Order test online, send in specimen, they email you the results.

Other things to consider - eliminate sugar (ie. bread, crackers, pretzels, pasta, cookies, pies, waffles, pancakes, granola bars, sugared yogurt, sweet fruits, all juice, etc). If he is a typical 2 year old, he eats a diet quite high in gluten carbs, dairy and sugar? Bad bacteria feeds on sugar and imbalances the gut. Gluten and casein destroy the gut lining. 70-90% of the immune system is in the gut. He is sick because his immune system is probably shot. He is not unusual. Most people in America suffer from this.

Avoid antibiotics, another enemy of a healthy gut. Has he ever had antibiotics? If so, his gut was destroyed by them and you would need to restore it.

Give him a probiotic supplement to restore the gut. I used to open the capsule and put in some apple sauce.

Good luck. Remember, your doctors were not trained in nutrition, or food intolerances, or healing. They treat symptoms only, with drugs and surgery, leaving the underlying problem intact to fester for decades. If you want a healthy son, you need to get information about improving his health outside their offices. There are some exceptions. If you live in Allen, not too far from you is Dr. Deborah Bain, MD in Frisco. She knows a lot about nutrition and would help you get back on track. www.healthykidspediatrics.com

First of all, you should have your little one checked for pertussis. It is going around in North Texas. Secondly, I would suggest taking your little one to Peter Schochet, MD, pediatric pulmonologist. He can determine what is causing your child's cough and how to treat it. Dr. Schochet's # is ###-###-####.

R. Elkin, MOT, OTR/L, CKT

Have you had him tested for pertussis/whooping cough. My infant and 10 yr old daughter were having some of the same symptoms. We didn't what it was for a month and finally his doctor figured it out because she actually heard him coughing on one of the many occassions he went to either the ER or the doctors office. He, my daughter, and my 30 yr old sister tested positive for pertussis. After speaking with a nurse at the local health department I learned that there had been thousands of new cases of pertussis diagnosed within the last year and probably many more because doctors don't recognize it because the cases of it had been almost unheard of in years. After treatment and time, they are all perfectly healthy.

I also have two sons with Asthma and this could also be a factor. I've seen a lot more kids with severe allergies that become asthmatics. I don't suggest sterile mess for young children unless you learn from your peditrician or a pulmonolgist that your child's asthma is
severe.

I wish you and your child great health and many blessings!

i would talk to your pedi. if he is 2.5 & you think it might be due to some allergies, then he is old enough for allergy med. which he can take regularly or seasonally...they have claritin over the counter, my daughter takes singulair & it helps a lot just to keep the congestion down...if it is just from a cold, the mucinex does also help a lot.
good luck! & i hope he starts feeling better soon! i know i hate this season bc my daughter gets the same way!!

Hello Pat,

When your son has the sniffles, avoid all milk products because it build up more phlem. have you tried rising his bed on one side so he's not laying completely flat.
on a tissue put: 5 drops peppermint oil
4 drops rosemary oil and 4 drops basil oil
that combination helped stop coughs that codeine would not stop. (put the oils ON a paper towel or tissue NOT ON HIS SKIN)

Good luck! ~C.~

1 / 3