Need Help to Diagnosis ADD or Learning Disabilities in My 6 Yo? Where to Go?

My son has always had problems in school. He is bright, but does not focus and complete his work. I live in Carrollton and would like him to be evaluated out side of the school system for learning problems. Any recomendations? I known the Shelton school has an evaluation prgram but it is very expensive. Any other places? Thanks for your hel[p

I got my insurance to pay by going through a pediatric neurologist. From there, we were referred to Baylor Children's Hospital for a speech and occupational therapist evaluation. We were able to determine my son had sensory issues and aspergers. With the help of OT and a play therapist my son is functioning normally in preschool.

I hope this is helpful.

My daughter's school used the Conner's evaluation and then we went to her Pediatrition who used the Vanderbilt evaluation. Both were free. The evaluations were very similar and were both filled out by us, her primary teacher, the special ed teacher, various other teachers she comes in constant contact with ( i.e. p.e., art, etc), as well as her girl scout leader and coach. We figured the more input we had from multiple sources, the better diagnosis we would get because everyone saw her at different times and settings. No matter the source or evaluation type, the results were all very clear that she suffers from ADHD.

You should be able to have the testing at no cost at Texas Scottish Rite Hospital.
V.

I recommend that you check out UTD-Callier center to see if they still test for learning disabilities. Another great area is SMU in Plano. We went to Shelton and paid a fortune. They gave us lots of information, but unfortunately very little directions that helped us get real help for our child's disability. I have heard from many parents that Plano Pediactric Neurology is also a great place to go for help. Good luck. Be careful of anyone who wants to prescribe medicine right away. Get second or even third opinion to make sure this is the best option.

Shelton is very pricey, a friend of mine recently did this for her 2nd grader. It was well worth the money in her opinion. I'm not sure if they test children as young as your son. Ask your ped, but I wonder if Our Children's House at Baylor could be of help?

I have heard many rave about Our Children's House which is linked to Baylor Medical.

1 / 3