Need Help Planning 70Th Birthday Party for My Mom....

My mom is turning seventy and I would like to have a birthday party for her. I want it to be very special for her since she has never had a birthday party before. Not even as a child did she have a party. I have a guest list ready and expect there to be around 100 people attending. I am planning to serve drinks, appetizers, and dinner. What I need help with is coming up with something clever for the party. I thought about making it like a kids party and have lots of games, ballons and prizes but most of the guests are adults and I am not sure they would appreciate that idea. I do not want to focus so much on the "70th" theme as much as just a special birthday in general. I am not sure that she is crazy about 70 and I sure don't want it to make her feel bad. I just want it to be fun for everyone. I really need help and would appreciate any ideas that the other moms have. I also need ideas for the dinner menu. I want it to be a buffet style meal. It doesn't have to be fancy just something nice and something that I will not have to spend the entire party in the kitchen. Thanks moms!!!

There are books for every year that tell the price of eggs, the average income, price of a home, car, etc. I think these are GREAT...for ALL ages. Might "present" some info for each YEAR of her life. Use some pics if you can. It will make it more fun and interesting for everyone.

Then.......make up a sheet of paper - with a border if you want of balloons, confetti, etc. and have as many attendees as are willing, to write something about her that means the most to them. Then, put them in a binder for her to keep and read......over and over and over.

I can understand having some games but it will be hard to do with 100 people, won't it? Balloons, yes, someone to handle games for the children and prizes, yes. Maybe Karoke (sp) would be good. I would have each person write down a special memory as they come in to be read to the group and put into a book for her to take home and read over later as well.
As for a buffet for that many people relish trays, fruit trays (or boats), fried chicken, bisquits, cole slaw, baked beans, chips and dips, are the easiest to work with.
I would think it would be better to have Jugs or someone cater it in.

Wonder why I can't see other peoples answers...... I want too !!! I will be thinking on your question. But in the mean time.... don't you need some of us to bring something..... That will be alot of food and drinks, what can I do to help?

I am not really sure how you would go about doing this, but what about a through the years party type thing? Like have different things from different aged parties but make them appropriate for what they would have had at the time she was that age?

You could also have something small that shows the time line of every thing she has seen in her life--
When "Mom" was
Born---
One---
Five---
10---
15---
ect

Asking guest to bring items or gifts for someone of a different age? Maybe have her celebrating her 30th (again) birthday instead of 70th?

Merely food for thought, I hope everything works out and I'm sure as long as it comes from the heart and you attempt to make it special it will all fall into place!

I planned a party for my Mom and our theme was the music, etc of her youth. Find out what her favorite music was when she was young and start collecting it (libraries are a good resource). It was also a nice way for me to connect with my Mom and her interests when she was young.

I also attended a 60+ birthday party this summer and the theme was hawaiian. The person loved Hawaii and it gave her the feel of Hawaii at home. Everyone was asked to bring a Hawaiian themed buffet item to be judged for 2 cash prizes. One of the winners was a fruit flower bouquet and a volcano cake. It was fun.

Good Luck.

I have personally loved the "Remember When" theme for parties for us seniors. Guests can be asked to bring their favorite memory of something special with your Mom. If any guests were childhood friends they can share those memories and if they have pictures to add it is even more fun. Age does not have to be discussed-only special memories.

Earlier this year we had a combined birthday party for my parents who were turning 75 and 80. We went to a small local restaurant, had them just make a buffet style meal of fried chicken, mashed potatoes & greenbeans. If anyone wanted something "special" to drink, they had to buy that on their own. The restaurant provided us a space at no cost, and the cost of the food was very reasonable. We just had guests & cake, they had fun just talking to everyone they hadn't seen in a while.

On their 50th wedding anniversary, a few years ago, they renewed their vows & we sent out cards for people to put down a memory, or picture - and then we put it together in a scrapbook for all to look at, and for my parents to keep. We also had a few things layed out from the years such as my Mom's wedding dress, my Dad's military uniform, etc. That time we spent a little more & rented a hall, had it catered, and had a family friend play music - just like they did for all of kids when we got married.

When it's a bunch of friends and family getting together, you don't have to plan anything - they love just talking and catching up with each other. Just don't forget to take pictures!

How about having all your guest bring a picture of themselves, hopefully with your mom in the photo. They can tell the tale of the pic and you get a scrapbook to put them in. Don't forget to take pics to add to the book. Its a great way to remember the party and your past.

We too threw a 70th Birthday Party for my mom. Her party was a surprise and it really surprised her! We found a shirt at an embroidery shop that said "Perfect 10...times 7!" So we focused on the times 7! We didn't have as many guests as you but it was a backyard bbq. I had told her that we were having a party with our neighbors and she even offered to make her most loved dish for my friends!
The day of the party she asked my dad to go out to dinner but he said no, he wanted to go home (little did she know that there was a house full of people waiting for her)! She asked her friends to go out for dinner and they all had other plans! She was MAD! As they pullled into the driveway at home she saw all the people and thought that I had brought my friends to her place! She was really mad now! Then she noticed her sister and started to laugh! It was a great time and will remember it always!

1 / 3