Need Help on What to Give My Baby for His Cold

Does any body know what I can give my one month old baby if he seems to have mucus on his chest when ever he breathes and isn't taking his bottle and when ever he does he is just moving around?

No medications. Try saline nose drops and a suction bulb to clear his nose. Hopefully that will help the overall congestion. Using a humidifier and elevating the head of his crib should help too. good luck

Little Noses Saline Drops. Been there and that's the only option I had. When you're baby sleeps elevate the mattress a little to keep fluid from building up and causing an ear infection.

I would get LITTLEN NOSES and follow the dircetions RIGHT before each feeding if that dosen't help by mon morning or if baby has fever 99.7 or higher then take to doctor. I hope baby gets better soon i know how hard it is i have 5

Hi A., Take a clove of garlic and crush it some so that the odor can get out. Put a sock on the baby's foot and wrap the garlic in a piece of cloth and put another sock over this as the garlic will burn the baby's foot if it has direct contact with the skin. Do this at night and take off in the morning and repeat again at night with a new clove of garlic. In a couple of days the cold will be gone from the baby as garlic is a natural antibotic and the fumes of the garlic will go thru the baby's system and clear up the cold. The garlic should be between the two socks as this will help it stay on the baby's foot during the night. It has worked for us over the years as we have 3 children of our own and we now have 7 foster children as well. Ed

Give him a visit to the doctor's office before it turns into something bad. I do not take my children to the doctor as often when they get older but babies can not tell you what is wrong and mucus on their chest is nothing to play around with. This advise comes from a Mother who had to hospitalize a child and then suction his lungs several times a day for several weeks. It is not fun.

A baby that small should be seen by a doctor. It could just be a cold, or perhaps he's allergic to his formula . . . so definitely get him checked.

Even if it is just a cold, there are no meds to be given. Last year the FDA ruled no cold meds for children under 2. Essentially you treat the symptoms . . . a humidifier helps with the breathing, and saline nose drops and a nasal aspirator help clear the nose. Also raise the head of his bassinet/crib which makes breathing easier.

Hi A..
I'd vote to just not give him anything and make him comfortable with a crib wedge to raise one end of the mattress and use a vaporizer. As a mom of 4 kids, I always felt like I had to do something to help them with a cold, but really if he's not in pain and simply just uncomfortable, it will probably be safer to give him no meds and watch him closely than to give him meds that might mask a real symptom. If he continues to not take a bottle for more than a couple feedings, that might be of more concern and OF COURSE if he is having trouble breathing or spikes a fever definitely go to the doc or ER. But for just a simple cold I think it is okay to not give him meds.

But, no matter what anyone says here, INCLUDING ME, trust your gut and also trust your doctor. This is just my mommy opinion, and I don't have a medical degree so I don't want to lead you astray! Just my little disclaimer! :-)

Do NOT put Vicks on his chest. A recent study was done saying that this can actually hinder an infants breathing not help. Where you can put Vicks, is on the soles of his feet and cover them with socks. Use a cold mist humidifier in his room and the thing that will help most is to pat his chest and back. Turn him on his stomach and lay him across your lap at a slight angle with his head down. Lightly pat his back with a flat hand to help loosen up the mucus. Then turn him on his back and do the same thing. If he has mucus in his lungs this will help loosen it up so he can cough it up or it can come out his nose. If he does not seem to be getting better though and seems to be getting dehydrated you need to take him to the doctor. We are not completely out of RSV season yet and it may be RSV instead of a cold, especially since he is so young and susceptible. Good luck and I hope he gets to feeling better soon.

here's what we did for our babies:
(cliff notes version: 3 S's: steam, suction, sodium ascorbate)
-if we had to supplement with formula, we used Neocate so as to avoid all dairy and soy
-if i was nursing, i avoided all dairy and soy (and other culprits more particular to my firstborn, but not common allergens)
-avoiding all supplements other than formula mixed to the proper proportions (i.e. no sugar water, no water, no rice cereal)
-vicks or chopped garlic on feet covered with socks
-hold the baby upright and if not being held, then laying on a small incline (we put blankets under the mattress) or sit in swing
-STEAM STEAM STEAM either i or my husband would stand in a steamy bathroom or shower stall for about 15 min. (taking care to change the baby's diaper (with the body covered as much as possible to avoid chill) immediately afterward if one was worn)
-saline drops in the nose then gentle suction -- this should help him feel more comfortable to suck on his bottle
-gentle suction in the back of the mouth if especially 'gunky,' taking care to avoid triggering a gag
-avoiding chills
-avoiding stress
-accomodating as much sleep as possible
-no fever reducers unless the baby was having trouble sleeping, and then only a teeny teeny bit (fevers are usually not dangerous unless above 105 or so, depending on the method you use to take the temperature); for a month old baby, though, i don't know that i would even give one at all -- that's pretty a pretty little guy

-and lastly, (and i saved an important one for last!): small pinches of sodium ascorbate, put in his mouth or sprinkled on the bottle nipple, several times per day. sodium ascorbate is a more bio-available, buffered form of vitamin c suitable for therapeutic dosing (not just vitamin deficiency supplementation). it is a crystalline powder and can be found in health food stores and grocery stores like central market. DO NOT get calcium ascorbate or ascorbic acid -- those are different and not good to give for reasons i won't get into here. remember: SA SA SA SA SA...! (and if the baby gets especially gassy or has more frequent stools than usual, just step back on the dose and everything should be fine).

myths or things to otherwise NOT do:
-cool mist
-supplement with pedialyte or similar drink
-give rice cereal; a one month old's intestinal lining is not mature enough to handle those well -- it's too permeable and sometimes it can lead to food allergies (you don't know until it's too late -- most who try it are lucky, some are not)
-administer cough or cold medicine of any kind (even those made for small children)
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
and definitely call your pediatrician prior to giving any kind of fever reducer (i.e. tylenol, motrin)

HTH & your poor babe is feeling better soon!

If your one-month old is not taking his bottle - then you should take him to the pediatrician ASAP. They will tell you that you will need to use saline solution in his little nose and a suction bulb to get it out. The danger of letting congestion sit in his little system for more than a few days is 1) he could get ear infections pretty quickly; 2) the congestion could get into his little chest. The other thing that the pediatrician may tell you is that you will need to give him breathing treatments. I have had to do this with both of my kiddos. The nebulizer can be purchased for around $50 at Meadows Pharmacy off of 407 (near I-35E) - otherwise it could be more than $100. The meds that I have used with it are Xopenex - which is like a rescue inhalant that opens up their little throat and breathing passages. The other for more severe congestion is Pulmicort. When they cannot breath properly because of the congestion, it is a possibility that the oxygen level in their blood can decrease - which is not a good thing. The last thing I would tell you is to let him sleep in a swing - if you have one. This helps TREMENDOUSLY with any drainage and he will be propped up at the right angle! I know how miserable it is to see them and feel like you can't help them - but you can. :) Get this little one to the doctor ASAP and I hope he feels better very soon!!! My best wishes for his speedy recovery.

My son at 6 weeks old had a cold and wouldn't eat. i took him to the doctor and he had an ear infection at a very young age. So for sure take him to the doctor!

1 / 3